PDA

View Full Version : 1988 Ford F-150 starting problem...

Primecut
06-20-2007, 08:42 AM
Lately, I have had some difficulty starting my truck. It will usually start, but it will be really weak. Every once in awhile, when I try to start it shortly after I have turned it off, I have to jump start it. But if it sits for a couple of hours or more, it will start perfectly.

Then, this evening, when I went to run to the drug store, I came back out to my truck, and it wouldn't start at all. Nothing, no attempt to turn over at all. The radio worked, and the power windows would go down, but nothing from the engine. When I turned the key in the tumbler, I didn't feel much pressure, like it was stripped or something. I was able to put the key into the start position, and do the trick where I pop the hood and put a screw driver on the two screws to get it started. But then it wouldn't let me get it into gear, so it still is sitting at the drug store.

Hope this makes some sense. Any suggestions or thoughts on what could be wrong? Thanks for any replies.

heritage
06-20-2007, 09:03 AM
Take it to your local mechanic.

Sounds like the starter switch on the steering column. It has an adjustment also. I had to change mine recently on my 87 f-150.

Should be $100-150 to be done quickly and correctly.

Pete D.

Primecut
06-20-2007, 09:24 AM
Ok, thanks heritage. Is there any way I can get it into gear, or do I need to have it towed in? thanks.

khouse
06-20-2007, 10:14 AM
It could be your neutral safety switch if it has an auto tranny.

hutto2020
06-20-2007, 11:13 PM
primecut i have been working at a ford dealership for the past 22yrs back in the 80s and the early 90's this pretty much was a common accurance at ford dealerships the problem is inside the steering colum there is a part that kinda looks like a horse shoe tech name is called steering colum actuator the actuator breaks inside the colum its a pretty rough job if you haven't done one before part# is e9tz 3e715 a