PDA

View Full Version : Echo 210 vs Cub Cadet 4 cycle (trimmers)

Capemay Eagle
06-20-2007, 11:40 AM
I received a gift certificate for the Home Depot for fathers day. I want a new trimmer, and I liked the Echo srm 210. I went over the other night and noticed they also carry a Cub Cadet model # CC 5090SS, 4 cycle. What do you think, which one. They are around the same price. I am leaning toward the Echo, but I like the thought of a 4cycle. I only really use the thing about a half hour a week, if that, so it will not be used much. Any thoughts guys??

fishinpa
06-20-2007, 12:15 PM
I've used the SRM210 for the past two seasons and love it! Even the commercial guy over in the other forum seem to like them. The e 210 has a lot of power, and properly maintained, should last a home-owner (like me and you) about a lifetime. I guess it all depends on the weight you want o be carrying around. I like the 210 because it was only 11lbs. I have no idea what the Cub you mentioned weighs.

I only recently got rid of the Echo and bought a red-max because their attachments fit right on the end of the TR2300 string trimmer with no special tools required and takes about 5 minutes to swap attachments out. I needed a long reach hedge trimmer and this thing works GREAT.

KS_Grasscutter
06-20-2007, 12:31 PM
DEFINATELY get the Echo.

wolfsburg57
06-20-2007, 12:36 PM
Another vote for the echo. I bought one with the rapid load head this season and it works great and starts easily.

newz7151
06-20-2007, 12:52 PM
Why would ANYBODY want to buy a trimmer that is (un)supported by MTD?

IA_James
06-20-2007, 01:39 PM
The Cub and Troy-Bilt 4 stroke trimmers are made by MTD. Run away. Even if you don't buy the Echo, buy something other than that. Echo, Stihl, Shindaiwa, Redmax, anything but MTD. Not sure about Shin or Redmax I guess, but Echo and Stihl both make a nice trimmer for about the amount of coin you're talking. Buy the one whose dealer is closest. The SRM210 you mention is an excellent trimmer, but not stout enough for a brush cutting blade, if that affects your decision any.

fritowrdo
06-20-2007, 03:57 PM
Another vote for the Echo SRM210.

I bought mine in Agust last year and have had no issues. I average 2 hous of use per month.

fishinpa
06-20-2007, 05:21 PM
I forgot to mention the other reason I liked the red-max. I weighs only 9lbs dry!

MJS
06-21-2007, 02:05 PM
Get the Echo:cool2:

Pro-Scapes
06-21-2007, 02:34 PM
personally I would use the gift cert to buy something else. I got a few echo pieces and frankly im not entirly thrilled with them. Both lack power when compared to a stihl or other top brands.

Maybe the newer echo is better. If your set on getting a trimmer from there I would go with the echo tho. better support than MTD as stated above. I have switched to stihl after using husq and echo and there is no looking back for me.

Capemay Eagle
06-21-2007, 05:08 PM
Get the Echo:cool2:

I think I made up my mind and I am going with the Echo. I know that Stihl and Redmax may be better machines, but for as little as I use a trimmer, it would just be over kill. The Echo should be just fine for what I need..

cranesrule
06-22-2007, 12:50 AM
Check out the Stihl FS55. It is the direct competitor to the Echo SRM 210 and runs $199 at Stihl dealers. If you want a Stihl, I can reccomend this one highly, and I chose it over the Echo. Stay away from that Cub.

MJS
06-22-2007, 01:52 PM
Check out the Stihl FS55. It is the direct competitor to the Echo SRM 210 and runs $199 at Stihl dealers. If you want a Stihl, I can reccomend this one highly, and I chose it over the Echo. Stay away from that Cub.

The Echo might not be as powerful, but its gas tank is slightly larger, and the system for replacing the trimmer line is much easier on the Echo.

wolfsburg57
06-22-2007, 02:00 PM
Warranty might be another concern for a homeowner - 2 years on stihl vs. 5 from echo.

MagsLawn
07-18-2007, 11:33 AM
I purchased my SRM210 about 3 months ago and I'm very pleased with its performance, I use it about 1hr.+/- once a week or twice since its been raining alot lately and the grass has been growing like crazy. I like the fact that when I compared it to the Stihl FS55 the Echo seemed more balanced to me and I also liked the 5yr. consumer warranty that it carries. As far as power I can say which is strong Echo or Stihl because I haven't used a Stihl but for what I need around my house the Echo does just fine. The only drawback that I see is that it doesn't do a great job of edging, well not to my standards that is, I need to buy an actual edge for that.

leejp
07-18-2007, 07:58 PM
I have a 4 cycle trimmer. It's a Ryobi but it's been trouble free for 8 years. Trouble with the 4 cycle trimmers is the power to weight ratio is not that good. I use my Ryobi for maybe 15 minutes/week but I definitely feel it.

Another reason is that the motors are much simpler and doesn't require the maintenance of a 4 cycle.

Lastly... the 2 cycle trimmers run better when held sideways so one can trim/edge grades better.

For me... I picked up an old Stihl commercial trimmer that I'm rebuilding the carburator on (Fall Project).

Capemay Eagle
07-23-2007, 10:26 PM
Well I picked up the ECHO SRM-210 tonight. I was tossing up the next model, the SRM-230 which was rated commercial, for about $70 more. Other than a little bit of a larger engine and a few cosmetic differences I really did not see the difference. I hope this one last longer than the Craftsman. I am pretty disappointed with the Craftsman trimmer I bought last summer. The thing is always stalling, seems like the power is cut in half and the line advance is always jammed up. What a piece of crap, I would have to say the thing has 25 to 30hrs on it at the most and it runs like is five years old.

IA_James
07-24-2007, 08:06 AM
Well I picked up the ECHO SRM-210 tonight. I was tossing up the next model, the SRM-230 which was rated commercial, for about $70 more. Other than a little bit of a larger engine and a few cosmetic differences I really did not see the difference. I hope this one last longer than the Craftsman. I am pretty disappointed with the Craftsman trimmer I bought last summer. The thing is always stalling, seems like the power is cut in half and the line advance is always jammed up. What a piece of crap, I would have to say the thing has 25 to 30hrs on it at the most and it runs like is five years old.

So you get a chance to try it out yet? Mine was night and day different from my previous trimmer, should have just bought the Echo to begin with.:drinkup:

fritowrdo
07-24-2007, 10:43 PM

Congratulations on your purchase. I love mine!

I also had a Craftsman, the $80 special. I have always had great luck with their tools so figured it would be the same with their trimmers. What a mistake. Night and day.

Enjoy.

GroundEffects125
07-24-2007, 10:44 PM
i would defentily go with the echo

Capemay Eagle
07-24-2007, 10:54 PM
So you get a chance to try it out yet? Mine was night and day different from my previous trimmer, should have just bought the Echo to begin with.:drinkup:
I still have been unable to give it a shot. One thing I am not thrilled about is the 50:1 ratio. All my equip is 40:1, so now I have to go mix a special can for this trimmer. I have tried to buy all of my yard equipment to run on one ratio, so I don't get stale gas. I mean, I may go through a gallon of premix in three months for all my stuff. I am not sure how important it is to be exact on a mixture, I have heard people say they just mix it by eye and go with it, but i just try and go by the book to keep it running good. I'll get a fresh mix tomorrow and give it hell..

newz7151
07-24-2007, 11:57 PM
I still have been unable to give it a shot. One thing I am not thrilled about is the 50:1 ratio. All my equip is 40:1, so now I have to go mix a special can for this trimmer. I have tried to buy all of my yard equipment to run on one ratio, so I don't get stale gas. I mean, I may go through a gallon of premix in three months for all my stuff. I am not sure how important it is to be exact on a mixture, I have heard people say they just mix it by eye and go with it, but i just try and go by the book to keep it running good. I'll get a fresh mix tomorrow and give it hell..

Look, a piece of equipment capable of running at 50:1 is a higher quality engine than one that needs 40:1. It is also likely a cleaner running engine. And the people that "just mix it by eye and go with it" are the ones that need to be buying the $59 Homelite from HomeDepot once every 6 months.

Capemay Eagle
07-25-2007, 03:21 PM
Congratulations on your purchase. I love mine!

I also had a Craftsman, the $80 special. I have always had great luck with their tools so figured it would be the same with their trimmers. What a mistake. Night and day.

Enjoy.

Thanks, I just got a chance to give it a shot. And you are right,the difference is night and day. I really cannot belive the difference. The engine is very smooth and it is very light weight, it is so much easier to move around. I tried to explain this to my wife, and she just thinks I am nuts. Thank god for lawnsite!!

dfischer
07-25-2007, 11:09 PM
40:1 vs 50:1 is an insignificant difference. Burn 40:1 in everything. You MIGHT find the the machine calling for 50: might be a tiny lean, but have it tuned.. And again, tiny difference.

Neal0301
07-25-2007, 11:20 PM
Echo or Stihl, both great trimmers

ATL Lawn
07-27-2007, 12:32 AM
echo..............