PDA

View Full Version : Big crank for a push mower

Jay Ray
06-20-2007, 09:51 PM
This one is probably one for Restorob.

I have a Snapper 21 6-speed, model P217017BVE. I got to looking at the crank today and it's either 1" or 25 mm dia. at the stub shaft. I don't have an accurate caliper.

It's a Briggs 7hp Intek 128602 0149 E1.

The reason I'm interested in the dia. and length of the stub shaft is I want to replace it with a Kawi or a Honda. I like the mower but not the Briggs engine.

I got the crank part no. as 691456 at the B&S site but couldn't find any dimensional drawings on it.

Can you help Restorob?

Restrorob
06-20-2007, 10:34 PM
Hmmm, Is this what your looking for ? :cool:

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/Restrorob/Briggs/Briggs128602CrankDimentions.jpg

Jay Ray
06-20-2007, 11:34 PM
That's it exactly. Thank you.

DOLMARatOS
06-20-2007, 11:58 PM
More commonly known as the 25mm crankshaft. Standard on all late-model Snapper mowers.
The Kawasaki engine they put on the commercial series walk-behinds (Snapper model # CRP216019KWV) is a very good choice. This mower is a standard RP21000 series unit with the addition of steel wheels, solid bolted handles, handle braces and a Kawi or Honda engine with Full Pressure lube. I have an older unit with a Robin engine also. All tough units.

Probably one of the best TRUE commercial 21" self-propelled mowers and you can buy them under $900.00 plus they will handle ALL snapper walk mower attachments such as Thatcherizer, Ninja mulcher, bagger, (hard shell retro-fit bagging if you can find one), Snapperizer, etc. I've seen 20+ years of commercial use on thses units. The only thing tougher were the old Bob-Cat and Bunton walks from back in the day.

Jay Ray
06-21-2007, 01:23 AM
Thanks Dolmar. After reading your post I picked up on a GardenWeb forum that the Kawi is 8 to 10 pounds heavier than the Briggs, and the handle braces you mentioned are available from Snapper (commercial braces) and can be fitted (with some difficulty) onto the standard homeowner handle and deck.

DOLMARatOS
06-21-2007, 10:39 AM
Jay Ray I actually have the Snapper part number for the braces to fit the"homeowner" deck and handles. Sorry to say that the other forum was totally wrong. Snapper makes braces that perfectly fit their steel deck mowers. As for the engine, with proper care, a Quantum series Briggs & Stratton engine can and will last over 500 hours in a walk mower. We've even seen up to 800 hours. Right now that engine is available for for under $200.00 from a Briggs Dealer.

If you want, PM me and I'll send you the Part # for the braces and steel wheels. Also, Briggs ANd Stratton Intek engines are available with full pressure lube for less $$$ than a honda or Kawi. Not that I don't like the Kawi motor, but why not get the same hours of usage for less $$$.

Jay Ray
06-22-2007, 01:37 AM
Thanks Dolmar. Maybe I'll just stick with Briggs. Seems like I'm using the 21 less and less. Will just get the commercial Snapper before getting braces, wheels, and a kawi to put on the old Snapper -- the commercial is not that much more, wish my dealer had told me about it. Anyway even the homeowner version is the best 21 I ever owned, pretty nice compared to Murray and Yardman.

lonestar245
10-20-2008, 11:17 AM
OK, I have questions! My goal is to upgrade some older homeowner decks to commercial status using new Kaw 6hp engines.

You say the Sanpper with Briggs has a 25mm crank- Does the Snapper with Kaw also have a 25mm crank? Does it matter?

Reason I ask this: I can get my hands on new and used Kaw 6hp engines with 7/8" shaft pretty cheap. And Snapper has the pulley and blade adapter for both sizes- assuming the Commercial uses the same style setup as homeowner- woodruff keys for both, set screw on pulley and bolt for blade adapter.

Can you send me the part numbers for the braces? I assume these are the same for a homeowner or commercial unit?

Is there any other differences in the actual steel deck of the homeowner unit vs the commercial besides braces and steel wheels?

jkilov
10-20-2008, 05:55 PM
... with proper care, a Quantum series Briggs & Stratton engine can and will last over 500 hours in a walk mower. We've even seen up to 800 hours.
I don't mean to hijack a thread, especially one this old. I used to have two push mowers with non-I/C quantum engines. The first one I sold at about 600 hrs with the engine still running. The second one I gave to my uncle who still uses it. I'm estimating it has between 800-1000hrs on it. The whole mower keeps falling apart but the engine keeps going.

The reason I posted this is because nobody EVER believes me!! They think I'm joking that a quantum can go 1000hrs.