PDA

View Full Version : Subdivision call

1999frontier
06-20-2007, 10:21 PM
I got a call from a man that was referred by a current customer and he said he has 5 houses so far in subdivision and wanted me to give him a price on those five plus the entrance. My question is do you give him a discounted price from what you would normally charge for that size lawn since they are on the same street, or do you just charge him the regular price times 5? Not sure how many other houses are going to go up. He said the previous guy that did it took him about 30-35 minutes per house. :help:

Lohse's Lawn Service
06-20-2007, 11:15 PM
I've had guys on here say have a minimum per cut. I don't agree fully with that, at least not on yards that are right next to each other. Let's say each yard was worth, roughly $35. I would let each and every customer know that if you can mow their's on the same day as the others, you could do it for $30. I wouldn't give a huge discount, but to gain those customers, you could offer the $5 off or something and that may help you gain others. You have to realize you won't be driving around now; you can hopefully do all 5 on the same day. But if they want you to come on different days, then I might go back up to the $35. If it took the other guy 30 minutes, that would come out to $60/hr (if you end up charging $30). Not bad at all. That's what I would do, but I'll let the disagreeing lawn care guys post their comments now....

d&rlawncare
06-20-2007, 11:15 PM
I would only discount by a few dollars if he signed a yearly contract.

Bigray
06-21-2007, 08:27 AM
yes i would disc. also , plus you have the sub. ent. and the potential for more new cust. woo-hooo!

1999frontier
06-21-2007, 08:36 AM
Thats what I was thinking, charging $30 per lawn. They've got other lots for sale also.

martinfan06
06-21-2007, 01:36 PM
Definitely worth a discount with doing the entrance a nd the new business comin in and your already in the door.

txgrassguy
06-21-2007, 06:19 PM
Unless this new client is an existing client, with a proven payment history I won't discount for nothing.
Estimate each individual property as a separate charge in order to not adversely affect your profit margin.
I recommend setting a baseline on account minimums in order to offer a discount - for you that amount is predicated on your business's operating costs.
If you know your per hour or per job costs instead of just guessing offering discounts may, just may, result in more business but I wouldn't and won't bet on it.

GreenN'Clean
06-21-2007, 07:23 PM
I agree with Lohse I wouldn't doing them any cheaper then $30. You will still make money by giving a $5 discount

1999frontier
07-03-2007, 04:23 PM
Just an update. I talked to the guy last week and I told him $30 per yard and he said that he was paying the other guy last year $20 a yard. I was like I can't do it for that. I mean it would have been a great opportunity for me but I can't work for free either. I can't stand for somebody else to try to set MY price for doing something.

martinfan06
07-05-2007, 07:21 AM
Great job bro! :weightlifter:

Midwest Lawn Services
07-05-2007, 08:41 AM
Way to stick to your guns!:clapping: When you can walk away from the tire kickers its a good feeling.