PDA

View Full Version : Parts for Kawasaki FD620D?

Victor B
06-20-2007, 09:46 PM
Hi all,
I have looked all over the Internet for a parts supplier for my Kawasaki FD620D engine. I have called several Kawasaki dealers and they were at a loss to tell me where I can find parts for it. What I need is a fuel cutoff solenoid and a fuel pump. As far as the fuel pump goes, I could just buy a non OEM part if I new what the specs were for the OEM fuel pump. Does anybody know a parts dealer that carries parts for the FD620D ?

AS Long as I am writing I might as well tell you what my problem is that I am troubleshooting. I let this motor sit for almost 6 months with out starting it this winter. The gas turned to glue and froze up the fuel cutoff solenoid. So when I tried to start it it would not start because the solenoid was stuck in the closed position. I pulled the solenoid out and it had some gunk on it that was like tar. It took a long time of working it with carburetor cleaner before I could get it moving freely again, but by then, or at some point along the line, I had caused a short on the connection wire inside the solenoid. Well, there is a fishing weight for you! I talked to a friend , who is a mechanic, and he told me that you really don't need that safety cutoff solenoid and to just cut the brass pin off it so it won't plug the fuel delivery hole. So, that is what I did. The motor started and ran for a few minutes and then died. After several sessions of starting and dyng it would not start anymore. I pulled the fuel line off and turn the ignition on and found that the fuel pump was not pumping. I took it off and tested it and it had truly give up the ghost. I went down to Autozone and bought a Mr. Gasket #12S in-line electric fuel pump which looked very similar to the one that had gone out and even bolted perfectly to the chassis where there original pump was. I also drained all the old gas out and replaced it with 90 octane Chevron gas. Chevron gas contains Techron fuel system cleaner that many mechanics have told me is the very good for cleaning up your fuel system. I figured that if I used this gas it might clean the rest of the gunk out of the carburetor. Well, the engine started right up and ran great, except when I tried to accelerate. It would accelerate for a second and then start to die. If I give it full throttle, it will throttle up but then it will lose power and I have to return the throttle to the idle position. Even then it will die most of the time. I let it idle for several hours and it will accelerate about 20%, but it will begin to cycle and die after that. It appears that the problem is fuel delivery. So I am thinking that maybe the fuel pump I bought is not appropriate for this engine and cannot deliver enough fuel to the carburetor to get full power, or the carburetor is full of gunk and is limiting the fuel to the throttle body, or there is something else I am not aware on these engines since this is my first time to work on this class of engine.

Any ideas or help will be most greatly appreciated.

Restrorob
06-20-2007, 10:02 PM
You need to tear the carb. down and clean it out good spraying carb. cleaner with the little straw through every port/passage and jet you can find followed by compressed air. Have you replaced the fuel filter and plugs ?

Victor B
06-20-2007, 11:30 PM
Yes I did replace the filter, but not the plugs. Here is an update to my last post. I read somewhere that the gas cap might not be venting properly, so I loosened it. It helped a little. The motor was cold when I started it this time so I used the choke. This time I left the choke on full and revved the engine. It revved up all the way! I got in and drove it around at maximum speed with no problem. It runs perfect while fully choked! This tell me there is a fuel / air mixture problem, but I can find any adjustment screws on the carb to correct it. Any thoughts?

Thanks for the advice.

Bill Kapaun
06-21-2007, 01:30 AM
"Any thoughts?"
Yes. Pay attention to Rob!

Victor B
06-21-2007, 11:12 AM
I AM paying attention to Rob. And I will follow his advice. But in the mean time, as I would if were under a doctors care, I will tell him if my symptoms have changed. More information about a problem is never a bad thing. And Rob did not answer my primary questions as to "where I can Buy Parts" for this engine. It is settled in my mind that I will never buy another Kawasaki product because it is to dang hard to get parts for them. It should not be this hard.

newz7151
06-21-2007, 12:11 PM
It is settled in my mind that I will never buy another Kawasaki product because it is to dang hard to get parts for them. It should not be this hard.

Your local Kawi dealer should have no problem ordering parts for your engine. $5.95 next day freight or free 2 day freight. I'm not sure I understand the problem? What is your zip code?

Restrorob
06-21-2007, 12:12 PM
And Rob did not answer my primary questions as to "where I can Buy Parts" for this engine.

Sorry....You can contact these places;

http://www.sohars.com/home.asp

http://www.tulsaenginewarehouse.com/

Or you can go here and click "Find A Dealer"

http://www.kawpowr.com/#

I'm sure there are more out there in Internet land.

It's my belief that the fuel pump you installed is just fine, Once you get the carb. cleaned GOOD and replace the more than likely fouled plugs it should run better.

Good Luck

Victor B
06-21-2007, 12:39 PM
Thanks Rob. I am going to work on it right now.

Victor B
06-21-2007, 12:53 PM
Oh Rob. I looked through all of the sites you mentioned already and they don't have the Fuel cutoff solenoid, or at least not as far as I can tell. They have multiple parts listed as "Solenoid" with no description of it's function or and no picture of the part. They do have individual part numbers though, but I don't know what the part number is for the fuel cutoff solenoid.

Victor B
06-21-2007, 01:06 PM
Never mind, I found the part number by looking at a parts diagram on buykawpower.com. Part number 21188-2014 $55.99. Whoa! They are proud of that tiny solenoid. If it will run without it I will just save the money.