PDA

View Full Version : 26 Efi Trouble

MOW ED
08-24-2001, 09:11 PM
I hate to say it but my beloved 26EFI that I had such high hopes for has failed me at 381 hours. Its in the shop for warranty repairs but they are having trouble trying to find out whats wrong.
Problem:
While mowing the engine stopped as if someone turned the key off. Upon trying to start it again=NO WAY. Turned over and over and over but no start.

Mechanic found fuse to fuel pump blown. 10 amp fuse. Replaced it and it ran for 3 or 4 then blew. Replaced it and blew immediately. He cleaned all connections but still blowing.

I am assuming mayby a bad fuel pump but I am just guessing. I won't know any more until Monday but until then

WHAT DO YOU THINK???

Good plugs
Good spark
Good (but expensive) fuel

John DiMartino
08-24-2001, 09:42 PM
Sounds like a bad pump,or pump wire rubbing to ground to me.If not a pump,there is something else on that circuit,and injector,or something,that is bad,or has a wire rubbing thru somewhere

captdevo
08-24-2001, 10:39 PM
you've got a chaffed wire some where, look where the harness comes from the fuel pump in the tank to the frame, i adjusted the grommet that holds it there on one of mine.

also, check near the cpu, maybe you caught something that pulled your harness.

test the fuel pump with a fusible jumper wire to see if it's going to ground.

I haven't gotten any service bullitens on any problems with these.

Good luck

MOW ED
08-27-2001, 08:32 PM
Today is Monday and she still is in the shop.

Verdict is that Kohler is sending a tech up to look at it since my mech can't find the cause. They are interested in the guinea (no offence Guido) pigs that are having problems. I' guess I am lucky to live near the factory.

I'm not to the panic mode yet but I don't really want to go back to being in shape and mowing everything with my Toro WB again. Boy that machine is a lifesaver and believe it or not is has a little one lunger Kohler 15 on it.

I'll let you know more Weds.

Eric ELM
08-28-2001, 08:55 AM
The way the grass is growing right now, this is not a good time for your main machine to be down Ed. If you weren't such a long distance neighbor, I'd help you out. ;)

MOW ED
08-29-2001, 09:56 AM
Thank you Eric I appreciate the thought and do wish I was a little closer. We will have to do breakfast again later in the fall if things slow down.

The verdict on the 26EFI.
The Kohler tech came up to look at my machine and came up with a burned up fuel pump. Still under warranty? Well initially the guy said I was part to blame.

How you may ask?

I let the fuel tank get too low.

A bunch of B.S. and Kohler better not piss and moan because there is no mention of how high you are supposed to keep your fuel tank in the owners manual.

They must be burning up fuel pumps in Walkers because now the dealers and Walker MFG. has to inform all of the 26EFI owners that they have to keep the fuel above a certain level. Had I known this when I bought it or anytime after the purchase I would have had no problem doing it but in actuality I don't let the tank get very low anyway so all I can say is if you have a 26EFI you may have issues with the fuel pump.
I can't say for certain that they have defects but the explanation seems weak to me.

They will be overnighting a pump that should be installed by noon Weds. I will pick it up today and write more later, I have to get behind the old Toro WB again and cut some big time growth.

What do you think?

MOW ED
08-29-2001, 07:13 PM
Back from walking my a$$ off because my beloved Walker is not fixed. The part that was supposed to come feom Kohler Wisconsin (which is about 60 miles from here) did not come in yet.

No surprise to me, this kind of crap happened to me with my 25HP Walker problems. My dealer will lend me a rider for my big day Friday if he doesn't get the part.

Hell I could drive down and get it myself.

I expect to be using a Scag rider.

Good news is that the whole thing is covered but I am done with Kohler. My next rider which will be some type of ZTR will have a diesel or a Kawi in it.

Mighty tired and this Mikes Hard Lemonade is tasting like another one.

captdevo
08-29-2001, 08:12 PM
sorry to here you are having these problems.

It sounds like bs!! I run 26efi's on my Walkers had never heard anything like this.

There have been times i've run out of fuel and only gotten air in the system and they fire back up.

The good thing is that they are warranting it, now if they'd get off their arse and get ya going.

the bad thing is that Kohler is making Walker look bad, first the 25hp's now this.

But, i guess it could happen to any equipment though!

They are experimenting with the Kawasaki liquid cooled, i'd like to see that.

Hell, if you were close enough, i've got a few demos laying around you could surely use!!

MOW ED
08-29-2001, 08:25 PM
Thanks for the offer captdevo, I would take you up on it if I was closer. The old dogs are really tired after a whole day of walking for a guy who likes to ride.

I'm looking foreward to Kawi coming out with the injected motors. Kohler can have a nice bratwurst spread at Expo and get you thru the line quick but they sure aren't fast at servicing their warrantied stuff.

Some day I am hoping to have a few backups so I am not as P.O'ed as I am now.

Thanks!

Mowman
08-29-2001, 11:02 PM
Ed,
Sorry to hear your still down. Wish you lived closer to me and we could help each other out when the tough got going. As I wrote in your private message that Walker 52" Deck ROCKS !!!!!!!!
Well keep us informed.
Mowman

Oldtimer
09-03-2001, 03:49 PM
If your engine is still inop please email me at work and we will be glad to assist your dealer.

Jim Brazil
Seville Lawn
Pensacola, Florida

Edited by Eric ELM

Fish
09-03-2001, 05:58 PM
Kohlers brats are ok, but they are just ok. Is this the dealer you
bought the mower at? I get pretty good response down here
from our distributor rep. How old is this mower? It sounds like
a lot of your problems may be with the dealer, and not Kohler.
The era of efi is upon us, and there will be many problems and
bugs to be worked out. Your dealer though, should be bending
over backwards for a large commercial customer, and Kohler
should make it up to them. Call the mower manufacturer and
do some squawking as well. The loudest squeak gets the
oil. But talk to manufacturers and their reps, not the little guys.
Fish

Oldtimer
09-03-2001, 06:42 PM
The Kohler EFI engines are here to stay. We sell Toro, Exmark & Walker with Kohler EFI engines and they are our favorites. Currently we are working with Kohler to develop a diagnostic process for the 26HP EFI. We are working with a beta version of their diagnostic software and it is very impressive. If anyone has an unresolved issue with their EFI engine please feel free to email a description of the problem and we will try to help.

Jim Brazil
Seville Lawn & Power Eqpt.
Pensacola, Florida

sales@sevillelawn.com

Fish
09-03-2001, 09:42 PM
Are you claiming to be the ombudsman of disgruntled Kohler
efi owners everywhere?
Fish

Oldtimer
09-03-2001, 10:25 PM
Fish,

I noticed that a few people have had some issues with the EFI engine. We have quite a bit of experience with the EFI engine and my offer is one of possible assistance and has nothing to do with being a go-between for Kohler.

Jim Brazil
Seville Lawn
Pensacola, Florida

Sales@sevillelawn.com

gene gls
09-04-2001, 12:27 AM
Oldtimer:

Kolher efi engins.

Am i reading your previous post correctly? Kolher is manufacturing efi engins with out a "proven"diagnostic program??????

I am in the market for a new Walker power unit for my 62" SD deck. My dealer is pushing the 26 efi. I am hearing that there are more problems with these units than what is being told publically. Is this true????

Gene

Jman
09-04-2001, 09:52 AM
Kohler's EFI system has always had a self diagnostic system that has been used by Bosch for years. You just toggle the key switch three times leaving it on the third time. What Oldtimer is talking about would be something like a scan tool that the automotive industry has been using for years. Kohlers exception is that you have to have a computer to use this program. The "tool lets you read multiple different functions at one time and even allows you to see a "voltage graph" of what the sensors are doing. The same results could previously be acheived with a digitial voltmeter. This just makes it faster and easier to diagnose the problem. The biggest problem of fuel injection is the "newness" of the system and the fact not many small engine shops have ever worked with such systems. One thing I have found is that some shops have had technicians come over from the automotive field and have alot of knowledge in this area and are one step ahead.

LAWNGODFATHER
09-04-2001, 12:51 PM
I run my tanks dry on my Lazer and have never heard of such things "don't run your tank past a certain level" that's like saying don't run out of gas in a car. It happens and there is nothing any one can do about it. Oh well don't let this discourage you from Kohler. Out of all the engines I've had Kohler has given me the least amount of greif.

LGF:blob1:

MOW ED
09-04-2001, 06:38 PM
I got her back today, the part came in this morning and my dealer had it ready 2 hours later when he promised. I have to get my "touch" back on the Walker. I've been running a Scag Cougar the last week as a loaner from my dealer. I also had a Yazoo Kees 60" ZTR. I still like my Walker for my type of mowing.

Oldtimer, thanks for your offer and I will keep your e-mail as a contact for future use. The 26EFI is a great engine and I am glad it is back up.

Thanks for hearing me out guys.:cool:

captdevo
09-05-2001, 08:27 PM
glad you're goin' again.

did they ever actually discover what happened?

i just can't believe runnin' low on fuel caused it.

maybe debris clogging the in tank filter, tank not venting properly, fuel regulator bad, or something that sounds logical.

keep an eye on it.

Good luck!!!!

MOW ED
09-05-2001, 10:30 PM
No real reason, just that it wasn't working and that it "probably" was because I ran it low on fuel. I don't buy it but I didn't have to pay a dime and my dealer kept me running with demo machines.

Just part of the business, it certainly is frustrating when your down but I really appreciate the opportunity to share it with everyone here. Thanks again for all the concern.
Ed