PDA

View Full Version : uf cable thru pvc conduit???

johnnywill08
06-21-2007, 12:19 AM
never done ext. wiring before. can i run 14-2 uf thru conduit??? also, this stuff's really hard to strip, can i do it with a regular combo stripper/cutter?

half the project is underground the other half is above ground thru conduit for flodlights, fyi....

johnnywill08
06-21-2007, 12:31 AM
oh and i know i'm a "diy-er" in terms of ext. lighting but hey, i'm a grass pro, so you help me and i'll help you keep your lawn looking good

David Gretzmier
06-21-2007, 12:41 AM
johnny- I appreciate you being a grass pro- I mowed for years, still do a few. the folks on this forum tend to ask and answer questions among themselves, but I'll give you a tip- I doubt anyone on here uses 14-2 for anything except maybe leads. and then rarely. If you don't know what a lead is, you really should hire a local lighting professional to walk you through some things. it'll be the best 100-200 bucks you ever spent.

If you are considering doing wiring and lighting for a client without any experience, I beg you , don't. It hurts our trade and image. no offense meant, just free advice.

dave g

Chris J
06-21-2007, 12:43 AM
Man, I'm a bit sleepy so I'm more inclined to curse at you right now. Maybe you could ask again tomorrow, or maybe someone else might have the patience to deal with your sorry ass. I can tell you this much just by your initial statement: you don't know what the hell you are doing with lighting, so don't do it.

Eden Lights
06-21-2007, 01:09 AM
What type of wire? Sounds like your talking about solid core UF cable?

Chris J
06-21-2007, 01:10 AM
Eden,
Have you checked your pm's lately?

NightScenes
06-21-2007, 08:55 AM
First of all, NEVER use UF wire for low voltage lighting. This is single strand solid wire and is not meant for low voltage use. Low voltage cable is approved for direct burial or exposure.

johnnywill08
06-21-2007, 09:58 AM
this project is on my own property (not for a client), and the fixtures are floodlights and duplex receptacles. i've done alot of rewiring and new wiring inside, so i can handle the job in terms of technique, but want to make sure i don't do anything unsafe.

johnnywill08
06-21-2007, 10:00 AM
Man, I'm a bit sleepy so I'm more inclined to curse at you right now. Maybe you could ask again tomorrow, or maybe someone else might have the patience to deal with your sorry ass. I can tell you this much just by your initial statement: you don't know what the hell you are doing with lighting, so don't do it.

and as for you, hard-ass, lighten up you friggin punk.

Chris J
06-21-2007, 10:20 AM
and as for you, hard-ass, lighten up you friggin punk.

10-4. Loud and clear. I'm light.

Pro-Scapes
06-21-2007, 10:55 AM
why line voltage floods instead of nice soft landscape lighting on low voltage. Will save you on your power bill too.

I dont think he is talking about doing UF for low voltage.. I think he plans to do line voltage system.

With all that said... UF can be direct buried per code. Plan on a trencher or alot of digging..I would place it in conduit any place its exposed or above ground.

johnnywill08
06-21-2007, 11:30 AM
why line voltage floods instead of nice soft landscape lighting on low voltage. Will save you on your power bill too.

I dont think he is talking about doing UF for low voltage.. I think he plans to do line voltage system.

With all that said... UF can be direct buried per code. Plan on a trencher or alot of digging..I would place it in conduit any place its exposed or above ground.

i've got lots of landscape lighting and i love it, the flood's for a grill station.

thanks, billy

NiteTymeIlluminations
06-21-2007, 11:42 AM
Why does it use less electric? I'm confused on that.

Pro-Scapes
06-21-2007, 12:03 PM
i've got lots of landscape lighting and i love it, the flood's for a grill station.

thanks, billy

some manufactures make low voltage bbq lights that are switchable at the light. just an option.

Chris J
06-21-2007, 10:16 PM
Time to formally apologize to johnnywill08. I was out of line yesterday, and my comments, although not intended to be as harsh as they sounded, were way off base. Felt pretty crappy all day after being called a punk! That was below the belt, but nothing I could say about it because I swung first.
Sorry bud. Forgive and forget?

johnnywill08
06-22-2007, 10:30 AM
Time to formally apologize to johnnywill08. I was out of line yesterday, and my comments, although not intended to be as harsh as they sounded, were way off base. Felt pretty crappy all day after being called a punk! That was below the belt, but nothing I could say about it because I swung first.
Sorry bud. Forgive and forget?

you got it. thanks, man, and my apologies back at you. dont worry, i'm not out to give electricians a bad name, i just figured i'd get some advice about working on my own house before i burned it down.

my father's actually a licensed electrician (retired) but he lives 1hr away and i hate to pull his a$$ away the from the pool for such a simple task... (by electrician's standards)....

koster_irrigation
06-25-2007, 07:30 AM
dont pull UF cable through conduit. use single stranded wire, one white one black and one green!

only use UF when you are directly buring it in the ground.

and yes it is hard to strip

johnnywill08
06-25-2007, 12:41 PM
dont pull UF cable through conduit. use single stranded wire, one white one black and one green!

only use UF when you are directly buring it in the ground.

and yes it is hard to strip

thanks alot