PDA

View Full Version : trailer lighting problems

mike lane lawn care
06-20-2007, 11:41 PM
okay, so i just noticed the other day that my trailers "running" lights don't work. What i mean by that is, when i turn on my headlights, the clearance markers and tail lights don't light up, like they should. everything else works fine on the trailer, both turn lights, brake lights, 4-way flashers, everything but the dim illuminatin on the lights when the headlighs are on. now i don't drive after dark usualy with the trailer, but it still bigs me. any ideas?

KS_Grasscutter
06-20-2007, 11:54 PM
Had that happen to me last year. You probably have a a place where the insulation rubbed off the wire, causing it to touch metal, thus blowing the fuse. So you gotta fix the wire (with electrical tape) and put in a new fuse and you'll be set.

mike lane lawn care
06-21-2007, 12:28 AM
ok, i just replaced the 15amp fuse, and yes it was blown, but i couldn't find and part of the harness that had been damaged. when i turn the headlights on however, only the left tail light comes on, the left clearance light and both right lights do nothing. maybe the entire harness is damaged? if so, do i have to re-wire everything, or can i just split it off my tail lights? cuz my factory harness goes to the fuse box under the hood. good thing i cought this now though, i am installing my brake controller tomorrow.

stuffdeer
06-21-2007, 01:40 AM
Just asking, why do you need a brake controller for a 5x8 trailer?

mike lane lawn care
06-21-2007, 02:08 AM
Just asking, why do you need a brake controller for a 5x8 trailer?

i tow a car trailer every weekend.

LindblomRJ
06-21-2007, 11:37 AM
i tow a car trailer every weekend.

On a 5 x 8 trailer? What kind of car?

mike lane lawn care
06-22-2007, 05:13 PM
On a 5 x 8 trailer? What kind of car?

i said a CAR TRAILER, not a 5x8 trailer, it's a 20' tandem axle open trailer, that tows a modified chevy monte carlo to the race track about 50 miles out.

bohiaa
06-25-2007, 12:43 PM
I have had all tyoes of problems with my boat and jet ski trailer, anytime I get a wireing issue, I just rewire the entire trailer,

you may be like me I experance water a lot and it really takes it's toll

Good luck

mike lane lawn care
06-26-2007, 08:05 AM
I have had all tyoes of problems with my boat and jet ski trailer, anytime I get a wireing issue, I just rewire the entire trailer,

you may be like me I experance water a lot and it really takes it's toll

Good luck

well i was thinking about doing just that, but before i did, i took my multi-tester to the trailer hookup on the truck, and it's a truck problem, not the trailer, so i'm gonna do some quick re-wirring.

also,

i just installed my trailer hitch last night, and it took me 5 freaking hours, the problem was(and still is, until i fx it) is that the preformance exhaust with dual tips was getting in the way of the hitch, so i had to grind of the welds, and use a come-along to bend the pipes out of the way, not i just have to re-attach the support brackets to the truck, but i'll need to get some more hardware, they are pretty well stablized now, so it won't be a problem to drive down the road to the auto parts store, but it needs to have a permanent fix before long.

stuffdeer
06-27-2007, 11:45 AM
Make sure that last bend in the exhast system isn't causing to much back pressure.

Also, why don't you just cut the tips completely off, and have it exit behind each rear wheel?