PDA

View Full Version : Is anybody else having gasoline problems with this heat?

mojob
06-20-2007, 11:45 PM
I had a weird thing happen to me today. My Redmax EBZ8000 blower started losing power as usual in the heat of the day. It's done this since day one, but this time it slowed down so much it was barely running. While it was still running, I cracked open the gas cap. The next thing I know I'm covered head to toe with gas. It shot out a half tank of gas in about a micro second. It blew the gas cap about ten feet in the air. When I got back to the job after going home and cleaning up, the blower had cooled down and ran OK until it warmed up and started slowing down again. The gas tank looked really swollen and I cracked open the cap, very carefully this time, and it vented for no less than three minutes. My dealer thinks it could be too much ethanol mixed into the gas. I'm not sure if this is a Colorado/high altitude thing or if they mix ethanol into the gas all over the country. Has this ever happened to you? Any thoughts as to wtf is going on?

khouse
06-21-2007, 12:00 AM
Yes, your vent is plugged.

SiteSolutions
06-21-2007, 12:02 AM
Maybe the heat + altitude means your fuel is trying to boil? Just a guess but the ethanol probably lowers the boiling point of your fuel.

mojob
06-21-2007, 12:06 AM
I was told by the dealer that all this new equipment isn't vented due to EPA restrictions. This makes sence because all my 2 stroke equipment holds a little pressure.

Fairway Land & Lawn
06-21-2007, 12:09 AM
I am not sure about the Redmax, but it may have a vent tube for the gas tank that might be clogged. Sounds like you are running into a vapor lock. Also, It would seem that the jetting in the carb. should be different than other "lower" areas because of altitude air density. Since this has been a prob since day one, I would contact redmax and see if they suggest any carb adjustments for use at high altitude. the problem could have just become more pronounced from a possible vent tube clog. ( combination of altitude and vapor lock ) Maybe!?!?!

EMJ
06-21-2007, 08:50 PM
You fuel tank is vented. But it allows air to enter the tank, not to escape. There is a check valve at the end of the vent hose. If your vent was pluged there would be a vacuum in the tank not pressure.

topsites
06-22-2007, 01:46 AM
I kind of agree that I would check the vent, it could be that it's developing vacuum instead of pressure, a TON of vacuum could cause that stuff to shoot out when a sudden rush of air goes in, might also be why it starts to choke on itself, can't get no gas...?

ed2hess
06-22-2007, 07:17 PM
You fuel tank is vented. But it allows air to enter the tank, not to escape. There is a check valve at the end of the vent hose. If your vent was pluged there would be a vacuum in the tank not pressure.

I agree about the purpose of the vent...it is to let air in so carb can suck the gas...if it is plugged the unit stalls and opening the cap will make it run better but not shot gas out. I have seen built up like this in Echo and Stihl on very hot days when the units are in the direct sun.....I just assumed it is like the plastic gas cans heating up and blowing the yellow stops off the top....actually no fix for this except keep unit cool or let pressure out?