PDA

View Full Version : 21 inch mower

NYLAWNMAN01
06-21-2007, 06:04 PM
guys what would be the biggest lot to mow by myself with a 21 inch mower?

MJS
06-21-2007, 06:11 PM
That's an interesting question, since I mow exclusively with a 21". It takes a little longer, sure, but all my customers are willing to pay extra; many do not want a company that uses a 60" Dixie Chopper just so they can get it done in 30sec. If you want to get more than 10-12 done a day though, get a bigger mower.

NYLAWNMAN01
06-21-2007, 06:27 PM
Not to get off my original post but What would be a good 21 inch mower? Self Propelled or not? Rear bag or side disharge? Is Toro mowers any good? Thanks Matt

NYLAWNMAN01
06-21-2007, 06:43 PM
MJS, how big are your lots typically that you mow with the 21 inch mower? And also you mentioned that your customers dont mind paying a little more...if you dont mind me asking can you give me a round about figure you are charging for these lawns? Thanks for your help Matt

SSS 18734
06-21-2007, 06:45 PM
I wouldn't do more than 1/3 of an acre with a pushmower. Even 1/8 of an acre sucks.

If you're a homeowner wanting a good mower, I would suggest the Toro Super Recycler. I used one as my primary mower when I was starting out for two years, and its still running strong. Great mower and its great at mulching. Its a great back-up mower if anything goes wrong with the W/B. Should run you mid $500's

bohiaa
06-21-2007, 07:27 PM
I dont use a 21" hardly at all.... But what I have noticed is, the ones with the front wheels powered, they dont pull as well and rear powered wheels.....

I have 1 customer that I bag and when the bag gets CLOSE to being full it raises the front end, and it's hell to push

NYLAWNMAN01
06-21-2007, 09:12 PM
any more responses

YukonG
06-21-2007, 09:29 PM
I used to cut a few 0.5-0.6 acre lots with a 21".
Hopefully I never have to do that again!

MJS
06-21-2007, 09:40 PM
MJS, how big are your lots typically that you mow with the 21 inch mower? And also you mentioned that your customers dont mind paying a little more...if you dont mind me asking can you give me a round about figure you are charging for these lawns? Thanks for your help Matt

The avg size of the lawns I mow runs about 7,000 - 10,000 sqft. I typically charge anywhere from $25 to $40 depending on hills, grass type, etc.

MJS
06-21-2007, 09:45 PM
Not to get off my original post but What would be a good 21 inch mower? Self Propelled or not? Rear bag or side disharge? Is Toro mowers any good? Thanks Matt

You have got to have a self-propelled mower. Bagging and side-discharge is nice; my main mower is a 3in1 (mulch, discharge, bag). Toro mowers are very good, as are Snappers and Hondas. Make sure you get a commercial - rated mower; the other stuff is junk.

Here are some links for you to check out.

http://www.hondapowerequipment.com/lawcomm.asp

http://www.snapperpro.com/commercial_trim_mowers.php

http://www.toro.com/professional/lce/wpm/index.html

Exact Rototilling
06-21-2007, 11:05 PM
Do your self a big favor and don't buy a front drive mower. Below are some links where this has been discussed. I favor the Higher Consumer Grade Toro Super Recycler 21 with the personal pace drive system. It's in the $550 $650 range. They will bag mulch and have a side discharge attachment. I've addressed the Higher end consumer mower "Personal Pace" vs. the Toro Proline series in one of the threads linked below. This is not the Lowes or Home Depot Cheapie. You can speed up and slow down seamlessly. And it's half the cost of the Toro Proline series and built very well. Again it is not the chepie steel deck Lowes or Home Depot version of the Toro mower. The wild card is I'm not sure how durable the Personal Pace Drive System is under constant use, however the added productivity and smoothness of opertaion just might ofset these issues. The Toro Proline series is double the cost and your stuck with the left foot operated 3 peed switch and you don't have the personnel pace system.

Now to the 21" mower vs. the bigger lot scenario. Time is money thus a bigger mower will increase your productivity. We all know this however you need to start some where. I bid on weekly mowing job on smaller residential property for $35 a week. The owner counter offered $30 and I agreed. Since I dump clippings in the clients trash can - it works for me. The 1st cut, trim and blow took me 50 minutes. Next time will take me 45 or less and I believe I can get it down to around 35 minutes. Now a larger walk behind might get it down to 20 or 25. I need to measure the gate to be sure if one would fit. On a bigger lot I might agree to the same rate depending on how the property is set up. I'm trying to gauge bids on how quickly I can get the property done with more productive equipment. So I'm NOT planning on forever mowing with a 21" on bigger lots. I mow a property now with a Toro 21' that is in the 6,000 to 8,000 sq' range. It's a PITA with a 21' but I do get paid more than $30 for mowing it. Once I can knock out this size yard with a bigger mower I can get it done in less than 40 minutes including trimming. Now it's taking just under 2 hours with trimming and blowing.

This is my first season in operation. I sacrificed mowing jobs for the higher pay of Rototilling . . . Now I'm limping back into mowing with a 21" Toro. Since I work another home business that pays fairly well all is not lost. Next year I will do my best to juggle both Rototilling & Mowing

Since I prefer to pay cash for all my equipment and keep my overhead low I have no intention on buying larger WB or zero turn mowers unless I have enough clients to offset the expense of the bigger equipment. I would need a far bigger trailer & bigger truck . . . thus bigger commitment to a full throttle business venture.

Time will tell. YMMV

links to other recent threads:

Commercial 21's (http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=190876)

Whats a better 21" Commercial Honda or Toro (http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=169020)

21" for residential = better business (http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=171588)

backtobasicslawncare
06-22-2007, 11:46 AM
im only 18 and i started with that when i was 17. it was the best starting mower for me until i saved up for a riding mower. it is 21" Bolens And Cost About $140. Great Starter Mowers.

Thats My 2Cent.
Michael

Exact Rototilling
06-22-2007, 12:41 PM
im only 18 and i started with that when i was 17. it was the best starting mower for me until i saved up for a riding mower. it is 21" Bolens And Cost About $140. Great Starter Mowers.

Thats My 2Cent.
Michael
Are these even self propelled mowers? :confused: I have a tough time believing that mower will hold up long term.:hammerhead:

That is $140 you could apply to a $550 mower or better. :nono:

“The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory.” Aldo Gucci
:rolleyes:

mikefromny
06-22-2007, 07:51 PM
matt, your from queens, all landscapers in tri-state use lawnboys get yourself teh commericial one you can beat it up and it will still run

NYLAWNMAN01
06-22-2007, 11:00 PM
Mike I noticed hat....Anyone ever use lawn boy? Like/Dislike???

Vikings
06-22-2007, 11:13 PM
I have some 13,000 sq ft lots, one of which I did last year with a 21" and I'll tell you that's a lot of walking. I only kept up with it because I knew I had bigger mowers coming to me this year (plus I need the exercise).

This year I have a 20k lot and a few 13k then the rest are smaller. With the 36" a 13k lot doesn't even phase me but the 20k is still a lot of walking with a 36". I need a velke or something.

I would say if you're like me 13k and under you can do with 21" but if you ever get a 36" with a 15HP engine you will find ways not to touch the 21".

My 36 toro doesn't fit through at least half my gates.