PDA

View Full Version : Edging

NYLAWNMAN01
06-21-2007, 06:05 PM
Do you guys edge at all your customers at every visit? How many times would you say to edge at a customers house?

MJS
06-21-2007, 06:08 PM
I edge all of my customers every time that I come; that is how you build a good reputation and make your lawns look the best: consistent edging!:cool2: I'm a little confused by you second question, though.

NYLAWNMAN01
06-21-2007, 06:29 PM
I meant if you dont edge at a customers house every visit how many times in the month then do you edge there once a month, every 2 weeks....sorry bout that

SSS 18734
06-21-2007, 06:35 PM
Every time. It looks awful if you leave it, especially if they have nice, thick turf. If it barely grows, it might not be too bad, but its still noticeable. I don't want my customers to think that I'm half-assing the job they pay me well to do.

bohiaa
06-21-2007, 07:11 PM
every visit..... I have one Customer, a single Parrent, she's having it rough.
she ask me NOT too edge, and then reduce her price down 5.00..
I " being the nice, handsome, and loveable guy that I am " do it anyway...

NYLAWNMAN01
06-21-2007, 07:51 PM
Bohiia what a nice guy you are..hahaha...I was asking this because i read on here some guys dont edge every visit.....

bohiaa
06-21-2007, 08:20 PM
Bohiia what a nice guy you are..hahaha...I was asking this because i read on here some guys dont edge every visit.....

Yea I kno,,, I think I read that post tooo.... to b honest I think it looks like crap with out edging....

howardsells2000
06-21-2007, 08:45 PM
I edge every time I cut.

mdlwn1
06-21-2007, 09:05 PM
Using a Tanaka edger....every other week...When you edge every time, it tends to dry out the edge and not really cut the grass...skipping a week lets the grass grow over just enough to give it that fresh straight cut..........I feel bad for the guys doing it weekly...my edges look soo much nicer....and I get paid a lot more than they do

mdlwn1
06-21-2007, 09:08 PM
I should add...make sure you blow out the dirt so the crack is nice and dark..while blowing any debrismore than 1 foot in from the edge

fiveoboy01
06-21-2007, 09:11 PM
I'd agree but with your irrigated and fertilized lawns, you have to edge it every week because that's all it takes for it to start hanging over the edge.

mdlwn1
06-21-2007, 09:19 PM
check out [url]www.ceramilawns.com the site is lame and you need java...but if you are into your turf, you will appreceate it.

howardsells2000
06-21-2007, 11:16 PM
Using a Tanaka edger....every other week...When you edge every time, it tends to dry out the edge and not really cut the grass...skipping a week lets the grass grow over just enough to give it that fresh straight cut..........I feel bad for the guys doing it weekly...my edges look soo much nicer....and I get paid a lot more than they do

Please don't feel bad for me or other guys on here that take pride in our work and want our properties to look nice. I don't see how edging every two weeks could look better than every week. Grass starts to grow over the edge and looks bad. It sounds like to me your edge only looks good every other week. Also how do you know you get paid a lot more than others do?

65hoss
06-21-2007, 11:39 PM
The mowers will always do their job. Its the trimming and sharp edges that make or break a property. We ALWAYS edge!

mdlwn1
06-22-2007, 08:18 AM
If you dont know why or cant see the difference..........My point is mute.
Keep in mind I am assuming the lawn is not over fertilized......which many in my area seem to always be. Its similar to why someone would use a $150 echo bent shaft single string with .65 line as opposed to a red max straight shaft double strung with .90 or higher (fine turf)......turf junkies tend to figure it out on their own.

GSPHUNTER
06-22-2007, 11:53 AM
Are you guys talking about freshing up an edge every week with a trimmer or actually getting out a stick edger. I have a w/b edger that I used once this spring so far. My edges still look great, and I have only hit them with my trimmer. I will probably get the edger back out in a couple weeks to run the blades through the gap.

Lifesav4
06-27-2007, 05:53 PM
I edge each and every time.....it only take a few more minutes, and the results are priceless !...Plus it makes my customers feel special.

lawnjockey56
06-27-2007, 06:05 PM
Do you guys edge at all your customers at every visit? How many times would you say to edge at a customers house?

every account every week gets everything every time-this is the sign in my shop :)

IA_James
06-27-2007, 06:20 PM
I should add...make sure you blow out the dirt so the crack is nice and dark..while blowing any debrismore than 1 foot in from the edge

I think this is the biggest thing right here. Keep the edge clear, and only do it when you can get a clean edge. Soil not too dry, not too moist.

lurch
06-27-2007, 06:59 PM
i use a PE-260 on every lawn...every week...no matter what...

echeandia
06-27-2007, 07:22 PM
I edge every visit with a stick edger. It does a superior job to a trimmer and doesn't create the lousy looking 1" wide gap between the sidewalk and the turf. Use a stick edger every visit. Your customers will appreciate it.

MeadowsLawnCare
06-28-2007, 07:03 AM
I have a wb edger now but it kinda sucks to use every visit. Anyone recommend a good stick edger to buy? Doesn't need to be top of the line, just do its job. New or used does not matter to me.

I.D.R Lawn Care
06-28-2007, 12:26 PM
I have a echo PE 200, which is pretty much the base model. Got it at Home Depot two years ago cheap. It was a display model and I bought it in the fall. It is still running strong with only routine maintenance and has more than paid for itself. I use it at every account, every time, most of my accounts are every other week because very rarely do we need to mow every week around here. Wish I had all every week accounts, but it is hard to get somebody to pay you to mow their grass when it obviously doesn't need it.

lurch
06-28-2007, 05:16 PM
Go to this eBay store....i've bought hedge clippers and a stick edger from them....fast shipping and the descriptions matched...

http://stores.ebay.com/Jewels-and-Tools-697_W0QQcolZ4QQdirZ1QQfsubZQ2d33QQftidZ2QQtZkm

legendrider
06-28-2007, 07:02 PM
The company with the brown trucks stick edge there properties the third week of the visit and but trim the edges with a trimmer after each visit

SpartanBill
06-28-2007, 10:04 PM
After reading 3 pages of every week edging, I feel a little silly stating that we do it every 4-5 week. What kind of grass are you working? Around here the grass grows up, not out.That being said, with a cut height of 3.5-4" edging once a week doesn't change appearance much. I bevel the edge and cut it back with the trimmer to keep it tight looking in between edging. Economy around here is not so good, people aren't gonna pay for superfluous services, even if they are included the homeowner know they're paying for it somewhere

General Landscaping
06-29-2007, 01:13 PM
Every visit, time and conditions allowing.
When there is need for hurry, the hard surface edges still get done, but the bed edges will get skipped. Skipping the bed edges picks up a good bit of time on a lot of my properties.
You have to keep an eye on that Floratam though, in 2 weeks it can get roots down and shoot off into a flower bed or hedge before you can say " ".

nobagger
06-29-2007, 01:31 PM
Every time. It looks awful if you leave it, especially if they have nice, thick turf. If it barely grows, it might not be too bad, but its still noticeable. I don't want my customers to think that I'm half-assing the job they pay me well to do.

Bingo!!!!:laugh:

GravyTrain
06-29-2007, 11:59 PM
I'm really surprised people are talking about it taking more time, or it doesn't look good by doing it every week. With my home owner's model Stihl edger, it takes all of maybe 3 minutes to edge a lawn, i even do front and back if they have a paved patio. And most of that 3 minutes is just taking it off the trailer. I do have some lawns where the home owner's park in the driveway and or on the street and therefore flatten the grass where normally you would edge. Those lawns are such that I can take my trimmer and just scalp that section and it looks actually better than edging.

But seriously, if you don't edge every week around here, it is very noticeable. I've been known to drive by between cuttings (7-10 days) and just whip out the edger.

stevenf
06-30-2007, 02:07 AM
would you guys reccomend I purchase an edgit for my trimmer or just get an edger or my next trimmer have attatchments?

Guzman Properties
06-30-2007, 02:38 AM
That's like going to the barber for a haircut and he doesn't trim around your ears and neck!!!!

echeandia
06-30-2007, 03:53 PM
would you guys reccomend I purchase an edgit for my trimmer or just get an edger or my next trimmer have attatchments?

I recommend a stick edger. It leaves a much cleaner cut than a string trimmer.

BlueShieldLawnCare
06-30-2007, 07:36 PM
We edge every single visit, and the grass is not dried or any of that. It always looks better if you edge every single time.

anj
06-30-2007, 09:23 PM
If You Use The String Trimmer Right You Can Get A Nice Edge. I Use The Stick Edger On Every Lawn Unless The Previous Lawn Guy Has Use His String Timmer And Has The Edge Way Off The Curb. I Hate That. It Takes More Time To Do It With The String Trimmer If You Want It To Look Like It Was Done With The Stick Edger.