PDA

View Full Version : Yard Signs

Turf Troll
06-21-2007, 06:35 PM
I want to do new yard signs for lighting and leaving on jobs.

I am thinking of going the next step up from the coreoplast and do the steel framed signs.

I would like to hear some suggestions on how anyone has had theirs made or designed. Did you go for the 18" x 24" or the half size ?

Thanks

extlights
06-21-2007, 07:44 PM
In my personal opinion I'd stay away from the steel frame signs. We have them and have used them for years, but we recently switched to the cheapo plastic-ish signs. Problem is that with the steel signs, you have to remember to go pick them up. With a service area as large as ours, that becomes a real pain. Yes they look nice, but our new cheapo signs look pretty good also and we don't have to pick them up.

Plus the steel signs are pretty expensive.

New Heights
06-21-2007, 08:04 PM
My lawn signs are made out of alumalite, Its like the coreoplast but the outer skin is made of alumnium. They are nice they dont rust and hold up to the elements. They cost me around $100 for each sign but its well worth the quality referals they generate. I leave theese on all my planting/design jobs.

Lite4
06-21-2007, 08:54 PM
I have steel signs. They are 24" x 32" with a full color vinyl on 1 side which I light up with a temp light for 2-3 weeks after completion. I don't do so many jobs that it is a pain to pick up. I will also follow up with a few of the neighbors while I am there to pick up. I like the larger sign because it shows better at night and is easier to read. Steel for longevity. Cost me 125.00 each.

Pro-Scapes
06-21-2007, 10:46 PM
I noticed clients sometimes pull em and place em with the trash after 10 days to 2 weeks.

125 for a sign "????? OUCH.

Local sign shop does the clorplast ones for me... double sided.. looks almost like our business card but says Landscape lighting by then our logo and phone and website. Cost... $20.00 ea.... usually takes him about a week to whip up a few for me. Maybe you guys should call my guy and have him make em and do em. Also really nice using a local co. the national compaines like FAST signs has always quoted us at least twice the price. Witnessdesigns.com or something like that has a pretty decent price online.

A note on signs... they gotta be visable at night... either place a light on them or place them in a well lit area. On jobs we have not be able to light the sign ZERO calls... on jobs we light the sign we get at least 2 inquires and 1 job off them.

Seems I been fixing everyone elses failing systems latley and I got no desire to claim these as my own work:cry: :cry:

David Gretzmier
06-22-2007, 10:21 AM
I need new signs for the landscape lights, but I order my Christmas signs in bulk, about 500 or so for 3 bucks apiece. 2 sided 3 color, with stakes, plastic cardboard. when they get stolen or lost, no big deal. a 20, 40 dollar sign, ouch.

Lite4
06-23-2007, 10:48 PM
Hey Billy. I have never had one of my signs disposed of. I think because not only are they heavy which usually translates to a pretty good investment, and secondly I give my client a date by which the sign will be removed. I tell them if they need it down sooner to just call me.

David Gretzmier
06-24-2007, 12:22 AM
I've had a a couple of steel ones taken. the cities I work in have sign ordinances and the garbage men and parks and recreation people pick them up and throw them out. they put a little yellow sticker on the sign first, 1 week later, pulled. thus I switched to the cheap signs.

Lite4
06-24-2007, 09:56 AM
Yikes, I see your dilemma. I would probably go to the cheap ones too if we had to deal with that here.

dab212s
06-25-2007, 01:13 PM
do you think a solar light would work for lighting the sign? it would be much easier to set up and take down that way, and would be nice if the transformer is close to its limit.
(something similar to the first fixture on this page: http://www.solarilluminations.com/acatalog/Solar_Spot_Lights.html)

I noticed clients sometimes pull em and place em with the trash after 10 days to 2 weeks.

125 for a sign "????? OUCH.

Local sign shop does the clorplast ones for me... double sided.. looks almost like our business card but says Landscape lighting by then our logo and phone and website. Cost... $20.00 ea.... usually takes him about a week to whip up a few for me. Maybe you guys should call my guy and have him make em and do em. Also really nice using a local co. the national compaines like FAST signs has always quoted us at least twice the price. Witnessdesigns.com or something like that has a pretty decent price online.

A note on signs... they gotta be visable at night... either place a light on them or place them in a well lit area. On jobs we have not be able to light the sign ZERO calls... on jobs we light the sign we get at least 2 inquires and 1 job off them.

Seems I been fixing everyone elses failing systems latley and I got no desire to claim these as my own work:cry: :cry:

David Gretzmier
06-26-2007, 09:35 AM
I've thought about this too, but it is the ultimate oxymoron, I hate led's in landscape lighting, they are either too blue or yellow, and the solar ones are the worst. so lighting my marketing with one is crazy. but man, SO easy ! just stake and go. if there was a 1 watt cree solar out there that gave me 3 hours of after dark light, THAT I would consider. Cree led's are clean and white enough for me to use on flashlights and marketing anyway. Cree Leds will be the ones some of us end up using, it's just a matter of when.

Pro-Scapes
06-26-2007, 05:36 PM
what happened to my post on this ??? I commented about the solar lights.

With your work being proffesional and your sign being near a major passageway or road chances are the only fixture people interested in will be close enough to is that cheap solar light.

Do you want them to see a cheapy light powered by the sun or do you want them to see a nice brass or copper light ? I usually ask clients to place signs for 2 weeks or so. I gess the ones that have been tossed were there a bit longer but whatever the reason they do vanish... I think a lit sign is less likley to take a walk as you have to come back and take the light out anyways.

On a project early this spring we were able to graze our sign with an uplight for a tree about 6 ft from the road. This must of been the sweetspot for it.. It stood out but didnt detract from the project behind it... it was clearly visable... it used an existing light in the design and it generated 3 calls with 2 sales resulting.

I really cant imagine I would use a solar light. and make it looks cheesy. If its not possible to light the sign we try and go for the streetlight area or near themailbox

Lite4
06-27-2007, 02:03 AM
I use a very small intermatic transformer that is mounted to the frame behind my sign, (not visible). I then use a barbeque light with a long flexible neck attatched to the top of the sign and flex out over the top to point back at the sign. A 10 watt MR does the job just right for this purpose.

Pro-Scapes
06-27-2007, 08:08 AM
does this mean you run an extension cord out for them ? why not just tap into your nearest hub with 16ga wire.

Lite4
06-27-2007, 09:03 PM
It just depends on where I am placing the sign. If it is close to an outlet I will just use it so I don't mess with the integrity of the system. However Billy, sometimes you just don't have a choice and have to tap into it.

klkanders
06-28-2007, 01:02 AM
[QUOTE=Pro-Scapes;1872391]

I found the same deal locally Billy.......I am going to have a few made to see how I like em'

Pro-Scapes
06-28-2007, 08:59 AM
It just depends on where I am placing the sign. If it is close to an outlet I will just use it so I don't mess with the integrity of the system. However Billy, sometimes you just don't have a choice and have to tap into it.

If you run a hub system what I do is this sometimes... I solder in the light going to my sign and put it in the grease tube with my other lights. When its time to remove I unsnap my grease tube and slide the wires back then snip the sign light out as close as I can to the solder joint. The snipped wire is completely encased in grease therefore no jeapordy of the integrity (no pun intended) of the system. You could also just twist it around your solder joint and just pull it out.