PDA

View Full Version : Knockout Roses

dKoester
06-21-2007, 09:08 PM
Anyone grow their knockouts from 1g to 7g. I bought a bunch of 1gs and want to grow them to become 7g. I'm not talking about propagation either although that is too easy but not worth going to prison for. What time frame am I looking at because i've been planting and maintaining several for quite some time and it seems they grow very fast? How much would a 4'x4' cost.

fiveoboy01
06-21-2007, 09:16 PM
Is propagating roses illegal?

huh
06-21-2007, 09:19 PM
Is propagating roses illegal?

only those that have a patent on them

PerfectEarth
06-21-2007, 09:30 PM
I have heard some horror stories about guys getting busted for propagation of KnockOuts. Fines per plant that reach in the hundreds of thousands of dollars. THEN, they make them burn the plants. hehe.

I have a Yellow Knockout in my backyard (still in the container) right now. :p

Shhhhhhh.....!

Some of the colors that are coming out soon (well, in the next couple years)are awesome...

dKoester
06-21-2007, 10:47 PM
I want to see a blue Knockout. Lets get them working on that. Anyway can somebody answer any of my questions.

PerfectEarth
06-21-2007, 11:04 PM
Um.... well, the largest available are 5's. I would think a 4'x4' plant such as a knockout would be difficult to transport, considering how delicate the outer stems can get. Are you just trying to get more money out of the plant?? Or do you have an applicaiton that needs them this large, right now?

It's just somehting i'd never think of doing, as the plant at 3'-4' looks best and you'll be removing size when you deadhead a few times each season. We have HUNDREDS of knockouts on an estate where I manage grounds- it doesn't matter how "big" they "can" get- every winter we nub them back to 1'-2' anyway for spring. If you want a 4'x4,' HEALTHY, blooming plant maintained at that size- that is a little large I would think.

You can put anything in a #7 and call it a #7..... I don't know, maybe 40-50 wholesale??? I have no clue.

BTW, I hear the LAVENDER that is coming in a year or two is INCREDIBLE. Expect white and double white as well, I think. A little birdie told me.

dKoester
06-21-2007, 11:23 PM
Thanks my friend, I'm going to be selling these at retail, and you are right 3-4 foot is the best height for these. At your nursery what are your 1g going for? I just bought a bunch for 10 each. Was that a good price it was the first time I have looked for that size and seen it.

PerfectEarth
06-21-2007, 11:35 PM
Yea, I think that's probably good. In the past month, at a nursery I use frequenty, their #3s have gone from 17.50 to 19.50 to 21.50 ... they tell me it's shipping costs (they actually adjusted a bill for me which was nice). I have not seen #1s. They probably look a bit scrawny and loose, huh?! :)

It's all about the size at the time of purchase. As in, why would you buy a 5 when the 3's right next to them look just as good and in one month will be a 5 or larger??

Anyway, I think 10 bucks for a #1 is good.

JB1
06-22-2007, 12:48 AM
whenever we have to use a lot of them , we use a out of state nursery and we can get one gallon ones for $5.00 . any day of the week.

dKoester
06-22-2007, 01:17 AM
:waving: Buying in bulk is best. I appoach this as an investment with a great return. Everytime I go to a nursery I'm always thinking trying to find deals for a quick turn around. Our #3's at my nursery www.bcnursery.com are 15.75. To everyone who helped especially Perfect Earth, thanks.

JB1
06-22-2007, 07:45 AM
[QUOTE=dKoester;1872541]:waving: Buying in bulk is best. I appoach this as an investment with a great return. Everytime I go to a nursery I'm always thinking trying to find deals for a quick turn around. Our #3's at my nursery www.bcnursery.com are 15.75. To everyone who helped especially Perfect Earth, thanks.[/Q

check out this site for plants and liners WWW.TNNURSERY.COM you can find whatever you need.

dKoester
06-22-2007, 02:06 PM
Thanks JB that site is very helpful.