PDA

View Full Version : Do you make your own mulch?

WHIPPLE5.7
06-21-2007, 10:14 PM
I know a guy who has a huge chipper that does tree removal and he will give me all the chippings I want for free. Can I just spread it out on a big tarp and spray stain on it and sell it as mulch. Forgive if this is a dumb question but mulch isn't really big yet around here but its leaning that way and I want to be on the bandwagon when it fully catches on.

1MajorTom
06-21-2007, 10:16 PM
what do people normally put in their beds out there, if mulch isn't that big yet?
just curious

mdlwn1
06-21-2007, 10:18 PM
no you cant do it that way...mulch is shredded..not chipped (generaly) speaking

PerfectEarth
06-21-2007, 10:19 PM
Wow. That's a new one! Hahahaha. I wouldn't do that if I were you.

Decent mulch usually STARTS with what you plan to use as an end product. It sits for a while, gets ground once or twice, sits for a while more (could be a year), and then gets ground again.

What you're getting needs to degrade for a bit.

turbo5560
06-21-2007, 10:30 PM
ya, that is about the funniest thing I've heard in awhile. Why don't you try it and see what happens.... and then let me know....

WHIPPLE5.7
06-21-2007, 11:09 PM
what do people normally put in their beds out there, if mulch isn't that big yet?
just curious

Gravel. Lots and lots of gravel. Once again sorry if my idea is stupid but I'm just trying new ideas. What if I got my own chipper and rechipped all the stuff I get from the other guy? Does everybody on here just buy mulch then? Wouldn't it be more cost effective to do your own if you could sell lots of it?

PerfectEarth
06-21-2007, 11:29 PM
It takes QUITE a production to produce bulk hardwood mulch! It would be cost effective if you were soley in the mulch business!! But 99% of us are not.

I have a friend in the tree care business and he produces mulch. He also has a dozen acres!! Companies dump material there (massive pile) he lets it sit, grinds it with a tub grinder that costs 4x more than what an average landscape co. is worth, loads it with a Volvo track-hoe, moves it with a MASSIVE articulated front end loader.... the process is very time consuming and expensive. Has three delivery trucks (one fits 24-26 yards) ... Does this explain a bit about how expensive it is to even produce a pile of mulch in the first palce? The equipment is impressive at least.

BTW, his product isn't even THAT great, Good, but not great.

fiveoboy01
06-22-2007, 12:08 AM
Wood chips in beds look like dog doo, stained or not.

I've actually seen people put wood chips from trees cut down on their property in their beds, the raw wood chips. Looks terrible in my opinion.

mdlwn1
06-22-2007, 08:23 AM
Lol..well said.....I'm thinkin for about a million bucks we could start a small operation...........

turbo5560
06-22-2007, 05:04 PM
1. Buy a multi million dollar grinder
2. buy a colorer machine
3. buy a couple front end loaders
4. buy a few dump trucks or semi's with walking floors
5. buy about 20 acres of land
6. get wood waste (i.e. old or broken pallets)

And then you will have a mulch business.

AintNoFun
06-22-2007, 06:13 PM
dont forget a recycling license sometimes as well as hundreds of gallons of diesel those tub grinders suck down a day..

1. Buy a multi million dollar grinder
2. buy a colorer machine
3. buy a couple front end loaders
4. buy a few dump trucks or semi's with walking floors
5. buy about 20 acres of land
6. get wood waste (i.e. old or broken pallets)

And then you will have a mulch business.

RonB
06-22-2007, 09:08 PM
Here is some dye equipment - they sell the dye if that's all you want.

http://www.amerimulch.com/equipment-page.html