PDA

View Full Version : Smoking while running equipment

RedMax Man
06-21-2007, 09:53 PM
So today i'm working in a nice section of town where almost every resident has a landscaper and all the properties are very well kept. A couple other LCO's are parked nearby on the same street while i'm working, cutting other lawns. I see a man, he wasn't a teenager or illegal immigrant doing the string trimming and he was smoking a cigarette while edging the sidewalk. This wasn't some riff raff company, but i was surprised to see him smoking while running equipment.:nono:

Anybody else see or do this?

lawnman_scott
06-21-2007, 09:57 PM
I have seen it before. How did it effect the quality of the work for better or worse?

Sydenstricker Landscaping
06-21-2007, 10:07 PM
I dont smoke, so I couldnt say either way. Seems like the smoke would be blowing all up in your eyes, etc. Just wouldnt be fun.

Me, I just pack in a fat dip of the ole Copenhagen and go to town

WHIPPLE5.7
06-21-2007, 10:14 PM
It looks bad. I also don't like it when LCOs walk around covered in tattoos with no shirts on. That happens here everyday. So what if its hot, atleast maintain a decent image to the public and your customers. Looking at these guys makes feel like I'm in the middle of prison yard at the basketball court.

howardsells2000
06-21-2007, 10:21 PM
I think some of you guys worry to much about what others are doing.

fiveoboy01
06-21-2007, 11:11 PM
I too think it looks bad. Sure, your work might look just as good regardless of if you're smoking or not. But I think it portrays a bad image.

I smoke, but only in the truck between jobs. Once I get to the job, smoke gets put out. I never, ever have a smoke in my mouth or in my hand when I'm out of the truck.

Supper Grassy
06-21-2007, 11:12 PM
I also don't like it when LCOs walk around covered in tattoos with no shirts on

I agree, although i would get a good laugh if someone had the company logo across their back.

RedMax Man
06-22-2007, 07:31 AM
I have seen it before. How did it effect the quality of the work for better or worse?

It didn't look bad, the lawn and property were pristine except the stripes were a little dull, they had 3 guys on mowers, Exmark lazer Z, Bobcat wb, and 21" plus the smoking trimmer guy. The yard isn't big at all, would only take maybe a 1/2 hr. to do everything. It does take longer to do the job when you are constantly stopping the take a breath and then smoke.

I just thing it doesn't help your image to be looking unprofessional. They're people walking up and down the street with their dog or pushing a stroller and when they see that i think it would just turn them off. Its also dangerous when gas powered tools are running.

topsites
06-22-2007, 08:19 AM
I smoke on the Z sometimes, other times I take my shirt off, too.
It's my business so I do what I want, thou I make sure I take the butt with me.

I think some of you guys worry to much about what others are doing.

myob fo' teh win :)

Village Idiot
06-22-2007, 12:52 PM
Have a mechanic do a check. Equipment that smokes while running is not good.

RedMax Man
06-22-2007, 09:21 PM
Have a mechanic do a check. Equipment that smokes while running is not good.

:laugh: We're talking about cigarette smoking... not bad engine performance. Although what you said is true, often it's oil burning.

Vikings
06-22-2007, 09:27 PM
Never smoke on a customers property.

7 out of ten customers will not complain, they will just fade away.

LindblomRJ
06-22-2007, 09:36 PM
I agree, although i would get a good laugh if someone had the company logo across their back.

Now that is funny.

It would be poor form to be running equipment while smoking

mdlwn1
06-22-2007, 09:41 PM
Of course it looks bad....but it only counts against you if your work or business practices are questionable. When I first started, my boss had a smoke hanging from his mouth while a very good customer asked him to trim a taxus...round 6' in diameter. He wanted it to look like a certs breath mint. With a blower on his back...running at half throttle...and one eye squinting from smoke he said "This ain't ****** Disney Land" I will never forget that day. That was about 15 years ago. They still have the account..

Edited: for language...jodi

mdlwn1
06-22-2007, 09:42 PM
Not that im saying it's ok to do it............

Grits
06-22-2007, 11:31 PM

If they got my company logo tattooed across their back, they would be allowed to go shirtless.:laugh:

charmill26
06-23-2007, 03:27 AM
im sure you could lose a few accounts from it but most likely they could be pita's anyways. i just pack a dip and no one says anything

MeadowsLawnCare
06-23-2007, 05:34 AM
It looks unprofessional, but in the end the lawn will speak for itsself IMO. I would just think being a smoker and working in lawn care would suck. You would be out of breath all the time and it would make you job seem that much harder.

fergman
06-23-2007, 08:58 PM
When I first started, my boss had a smoke hanging from his mouth while a very good customer asked him to trim a taxus...round 6' in diameter. He wanted it to look like a certs breath mint. With a blower on his back...running at half throttle...and one eye squinting from smoke he said "This ain't ****** Disney Land" I will never forget that day. That was about 15 years ago. They still have the account..

thats hilarious :hammerhead: i read that 5 times and died:laugh:

americanlawn
06-25-2007, 06:35 PM
Bad image for sure. To me, it's just common sense -even if the client is a smoker.

RLW
06-26-2007, 12:43 AM
It didn't look bad, the lawn and property were pristine except the stripes were a little dull, they had 3 guys on mowers, Exmark lazer Z, Bobcat wb, and 21" plus the smoking trimmer guy. The yard isn't big at all, would only take maybe a 1/2 hr. to do everything. It does take longer to do the job when you are constantly stopping the take a breath and then smoke.

I just thing it doesn't help your image to be looking unprofessional. They're people walking up and down the street with their dog or pushing a stroller and when they see that i think it would just turn them off. Its also dangerous when gas powered tools are running.

I agree with the image portrayal and also the safety factor.
Smoke in route, work on the site. Habits are personal, not work related.

BQLC
06-26-2007, 10:53 AM

Advertising at it's best. A Z with your logo above it

prizeprop
06-26-2007, 06:06 PM
Some of the best tradesmen I ever saw had a smoke hanging from there mouth.

AlleganyLawnCare
06-27-2007, 08:40 AM
I know this is a little off thread, but it is relevant to the subject at hand. So the majority here agree that smoking at a property is unprofessional (I agree). But where do your employees take a lunch break (if they brought their lunch with them)? Do they eat there at the clients' property, or do they go waste a few minutes trying to find a rest spot somewhere else (this could be several miles in a densely packed housing area)? Just curious. Right now, mine eat on site at the truck when the property is either completed, or the property is quite large (5 acres + ).