PDA

View Full Version : laser - what to buy?

meets1
06-21-2007, 11:21 PM
Do you get the dewalt 18 volt laser and call it good or do you go all out and get a trimbal self leveling laser that is good for 1000 ft within a 1/4 accurancy?

Mainly use it to determine height for layout on decks, fencing, walls, concrete pads.

ChampionLS
06-22-2007, 02:15 AM
I would not get the Dewalt Laser. Dewalt makes great tools, but they are behind the times with their lasers. A contractor friend of mine has that one you are referring to. It's not self leveling (so you have to fuss with X, Y leveling screws, and that also means you must always use a tripod!. Secondly, their laser receiver is not that accurate. It's range is within 1" and it doesn't offer a fine/rough setting.

You can shop around, and compare. We use a CST/Berger LMH-GR laser. David White also makes the same one. You should Definitely by all means get a self leveling laser. With one, you don't need to adjust a thing. Turn it on, it self levels and your good to start reading. Most times, I dont bother setting up a tripod, we just use a porch, BBQ , even a pallet of pavers. Set it down and it will be perfect. Our model also has the Grade Feature. You can angle the beam by pressing a button. This works great when doing a pitch or a long driveway. No string lines! The laser Receiver will detect over 2 inches up or down, you can select rough, medium, or fine accuracy as "Level" It's something like 1/16= fine 1/8= medium and 1/4"= rough. This makes it easer to find level when installing base (lumpy material) You can get the laser, carry case, stick, and receiver and tripod for under $1000.00 Works on D batteries which last days on end. Love it.

hamsey
06-22-2007, 09:36 AM
I agree with Champion about getting a self leveling laser. I had one that was manual leveling and it was a PITA. Sold it as fast as I could. I have been looking at a Leica Rugby 50 along with CST Berger. Not sure which one I'm buying yet.

Norm

D Felix
06-22-2007, 09:41 AM
Get the self-leveling laser. I've not worked with a manual leveler that hasn't "wandered" as the day goes on.

FWIW, Champion, you can use a manual leveler without a tripod.... Personally, I prefer Topcon lasers as I've had problems with CST/Berger's before.

waltero
06-22-2007, 10:12 AM
DeWalt has a self leveling laser level. I have it and it works just fine. It does a specific job and it does it well. It works off of both the 18 volt and I believe the 12 volt batteries. Mine came with two 18 volt batteries, charger, adapter for drop ceilings, rod and tripod as well as the receiver and i paid just over 900.00 on ebay for it used but in like new condition.

I haven't seen other brands myself so I can't compare it against others but the DeWalt seems to be very durable and of good quality. I would give it a thumbs up if you are looking to purchase. I would most definately look for one that is self leveling.

Walter

mverick
06-22-2007, 12:59 PM
DeWalt has a self leveling laser level. I have it and it works just fine. It does a specific job and it does it well. It works off of both the 18 volt and I believe the 12 volt batteries. Mine came with two 18 volt batteries, charger, adapter for drop ceilings, rod and tripod as well as the receiver and i paid just over 900.00 on ebay for it used but in like new condition.

I haven't seen other brands myself so I can't compare it against others but the DeWalt seems to be very durable and of good quality. I would give it a thumbs up if you are looking to purchase. I would most definately look for one that is self leveling.

Walter

I have the same one. Works well.

GroundScapesIncorporated
06-22-2007, 06:13 PM
Top Con's what we use and recomend.

cgland
06-22-2007, 09:31 PM
I have the CST LMH-600 dual slope self leveler. Works great.

Chris

ChampionLS
06-22-2007, 11:57 PM
I have probably about 7 or 8 different lasers, for different purposes. You don't really need to spend a fortune on a high tech laser for laying pavers or walls. Most important feature would be the Self Leveling. Theres no reason for the old style X,Y axis manual stuff anymore.

However, If you DO have a manual one, you can also set slope/grade very easily, and in both directions too!. That makes it worth it.

My other biggest concern would be battery life. Small lasers use AA or AAA batteries and they wear out very fast. The CST one uses D batteries, and im sure others can be plugged in for all day use.

In any event, once you know how to use it, you'll never need a string line again (except for pulling bond lines).