PDA

View Full Version : new trailer problem

kooba
06-21-2007, 10:36 PM
Just got a tandem 16 foot trailer and I am having problems with unloading and loading my ZTR. The deck is hitting where the endgate and trailer come together. Is the only way to solve this problem is to add on to the gate to decrease the angle of the ramp. Anyone else have this problem? kooba.

New Heights
06-21-2007, 10:44 PM
Can you raise your deck so it dont catch?

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
06-21-2007, 10:47 PM
Turn the male part of your trucks reciever up side down so the ball is a couple of inches higher and it shoud be ok.

kooba
06-21-2007, 10:58 PM
I thought about turning the ball around, but wanted the tailer to ride level. The deck is all the way up. I am planning of adding on to the gate tomorrow, I hope this helps. No one else ever have this problem? kooba.

Jason Rose
06-21-2007, 11:04 PM
It's a VERY common problem...

Adding onto the length of the gate will only slightly help the issue though. You may just have to deal with having the trailer a couple inches higher in the front. I know it's not ideal for the tires and axles though. This is why a "dove-tail" style trailer is so nice (wish mine was).

Albery's Lawn & Tractor
06-21-2007, 11:04 PM
Yeah, you flip the reciever hitch over and problem is fixed. Why would you add weight and height to the tailgate? You will feel a major difference in wind drag by adding to it. And if you load the trailer correctly it will still ride level.

kooba
06-21-2007, 11:44 PM
That might be the way to go. I think I have the 4 inch drop on right now. I will try that tomorrow before we start adding onto the gate. Thanks guys for your help.

KS_Grasscutter
06-21-2007, 11:57 PM
That might be the way to go. I think I have the 4 inch drop on right now. I will try that tomorrow before we start adding onto the gate. Thanks guys for your help.

Turning a 4 in drop upside down will make the ass end of the trailer drag on the ground. Get a 2 in drop for it, that should do it. or a no-drop (reciever hitches are like $15, it wont hurt to buy a couple and experiment to see what works best, plus the next trailer you get might need a differnt drop anyway)

scott's turf
06-22-2007, 12:26 PM
Is it bottoming out on the way up? If it is not than you probably only have a slight problem that you can fix by screwing down a 2x6 down the the floor of the trailer in the right place so your caster wheels ride up on it at just the point where your mowing deck bottoms out. See if this works first.

ed2hess
06-22-2007, 11:23 PM
We carry a 2x8 4ft long for curb hopping and we put that under the gate when we lower it and that is usually enough, Walker just can't get over the hump either. The other thing you can do is put a block of wood under the jack and raise the trailer at the hitch. If the one 2x8 isn't enough use two of them.

kooba
06-23-2007, 12:00 AM
Problem solved, I put on a straight receiver hitch and that solved the problem. Thanks guys for all of your help. Didn't need to at onto the gate at all. kooba.