PDA

View Full Version : Parade ideas?

fiveoboy01
06-21-2007, 11:14 PM
I'm going to be in our town's parade in late july.

I plan to pull the trailer with all the equipment on it.

I CAN make a float, but seems like a lot of work and I don't have many ideas. I was thinking about getting a very large tent-style sign summarizing my services and with my logo and having it in the bed of the truck, elevated on a plywood box so it's easily readable.

I can have people on the trailer, but basically all they can do is wave. For some reason, the town enacted an ordinance at the suggestion of the local PD prohibiting tossing candy from a vehicle. You CAN throw it from an ATV, or Mower or tractor, but not a truck or trailer.

If you guys have any ideas, let me know. This is costing me 50 bucks, and I think that's a dirt cheap way to get in front of half the town.

lawnspecialties
06-21-2007, 11:23 PM
I have no idea what to suggest but you better post pictures.:usflag:

fiveoboy01
06-21-2007, 11:28 PM
Yes I'll try to get someone to stand by the road and take pictures:)

stuffdeer
06-21-2007, 11:36 PM
I was going to ask about our cities parade next year.

I'd love to get some publicity like that.

fiveoboy01
06-21-2007, 11:42 PM
Yeah it's an easy way to get some exposure.

There are no requirements to get in, any business can. Doesn't even have to be in my town, I don't think. Over the last few years there have even been some US Congressmen and Women(from WI) who have walked in it.

MeCasa
06-21-2007, 11:49 PM
Something to make people laugh, ain't nothing worse than a boring advertisement float.

POPO4995
06-21-2007, 11:52 PM
I was in my town's Memorial Day parade. I had my truck & trailer loaded with my 737 and 425AWS (at the time) and my buddy who subs plowing in the winter for me following with his plow and spreader hooked up. Had all of my lights flashing and 2 people walking next to the trucks handing out my door-hangers....it worked I guess!:usflag:

wooley99
06-22-2007, 12:08 AM
Put your sign and some people and stuff on the trailer by all means but can you have a some family take a couple mowers and zoom around behind you throwing out candy? The mowers turn like a clown car and and throwing candy for the kids is the best part. It might not get you any business but it should be a good time.

capelawncare.com
06-22-2007, 12:38 AM
I would run your mowers in the parade. One in Front of the truck and trailer, one behind, and one on each side. Toss candy from the mowers, and let the trailer do your advertising.

Supper Grassy
06-22-2007, 08:24 PM
I would have truck with trailer going along, the 3 mowers near by.

I would say get 6-12 magnetic signs. put one on each side of mower and on back.

mabey to add a twist have the mower operators hand out Flyers or something

Also is what is in your sig all u have? if not ithink it would help us to see a list of everything.

fiveoboy01
06-22-2007, 11:45 PM
Well here's the catch, the fee is 50.00 per POWERED unit in the parade. I already sent the check and entry form in, the deadline is passed, and I just paid 50.00 for the truck and trailer.

Yeah, my sig is it for equimpent as far as mowers. Of course I have all the other stuff, trimmers, blowers etc.

JB1
06-23-2007, 08:17 AM
Well here's the catch, the fee is 50.00 per POWERED unit in the parade. I already sent the check and entry form in, the deadline is passed, and I just paid 50.00 for the truck and trailer.

Yeah, my sig is it for equimpent as far as mowers. Of course I have all the other stuff, trimmers, blowers etc.

thats a first one for me hearing that they charge you to be in the parade.

LindblomRJ
06-23-2007, 08:22 AM
How long is the parade route?

Clean up the the old 3 wheeled Scag and go a wheeling?

Around here tractors and other equipment is popular along with horses.

jtlnl
06-24-2007, 03:05 AM
In our town parade we set up a trailer with a small stone water feature
some plants and a picnic table with iced tea and cups under an umbrella and all of that was on top of wall to wall sod
kinda showing a nice day in a nice yard
we won FIRST place , feel free to steal my idea bro

and the year before we put plants and trees in mounds of mulch that got us second place

we were trying to show off what we do or can offer a potential customer
people know you have mowers and stuff
showcase your artistic abilities that'll get you noticed
good luck
tom
johnson tree lawn & landscaping

unit28
06-24-2007, 11:05 AM
jtlnl's got it.
Color and creativity sells, even if you leave the mowers at home.
Or, come up with an idea similar using the mowers.

Just get some bikes with the bike baskets
and ride along to pass out candy.

Me, I'd prolly have a squirt gun handy instaed of candy...LOL.

gavin478
06-25-2007, 12:25 AM
In our town we used to have a buch of guys that would all walk with their rusty old 21's and literally do synchronized 'dances' while pushing their mowers. It was HILARIOUS.

Post Mowing
06-25-2007, 06:00 PM
we have the same thing i thought we were the only hillbillys

kooba
06-29-2007, 11:13 PM
I plan on doing the same thing this coming week. I'm going to be in two parades with my truck and tailer with the mowers and trimmers on it. We plan on throwing out candy and handing out business cards to the adults. We thought about stapling them on to the larger candy, or do you think I should have someone walking such as my sister - laws with bikinis on and hand them to the men? We do have shirts and hats, they might have to wear them instead. What are your thoughts. kooba.

fiveoboy01
06-29-2007, 11:36 PM
Women in Bikinis?

Eye-catching, but WAY un-professional. Parents with children will not appreciate it.

In any case if you DO use them, take pictures and post them here:)

kooba
06-30-2007, 12:08 AM
I won't use them in bikini's, just wanted to get some reaction out of some of you. They will be wearing my shirts with our logo on it. much more professional. We need some rain here in MN. soon.

unit28
06-30-2007, 08:47 AM
don't rain on my parade....lol

hey kooba ,
don't be stapeling the cards to the candy.
most people don't need the extra iron in
their diets......lol, ouch.

kooba
07-02-2007, 10:08 PM
I have 280 business cards made for the parade. How many think I should staple to candy or have someone hand them out to the adults? Are there any other neat ideas that I could do for the parade that is unique and cool? thanks kooba.

Matts lawn care
07-03-2007, 09:14 PM
In our town parade we set up a trailer with a small stone water feature
some plants and a picnic table with iced tea and cups under an umbrella and all of that was on top of wall to wall sod
kinda showing a nice day in a nice yard
we won FIRST place , feel free to steal my idea bro

and the year before we put plants and trees in mounds of mulch that got us second place

we were trying to show off what we do or can offer a potential customer
people know you have mowers and stuff
showcase your artistic abilities that'll get you noticed
good luck
tom
johnson tree lawn & landscaping

I am going to try this idea out. I will post some pictures in the AM and tell you guys how it goes. I am also throwing out 1200 Dum Dum lolly pops with my business card attached.
Lolly pops........................$24
bussness cards.................$13
Fountain .........................$60 (going to be used in my lawn when I'm done)
More business...................Priceless

DBL
07-03-2007, 09:18 PM
Put your sign and some people and stuff on the trailer by all means but can you have a some family take a couple mowers and zoom around behind you throwing out candy? The mowers turn like a clown car and and throwing candy for the kids is the best part. It might not get you any business but it should be a good time.

yeah i was thinking that too drive the truck and trailer and have guys riding the mowers in circles around the truck throwing candy or giving out fliers that might get attention

Matts lawn care
07-06-2007, 08:51 PM
Thanks jtlnl for your great idea. I already picked up a new mowing customer.
Now here is my version. This is my first water feature so go easy on me.:)
ps: dont call me pliz...

Matts lawn care
07-10-2007, 07:46 PM
Just an update:
I have signed one more lawn and have a 4 cubic yard mulch job + bulb planting.

Swampy
07-11-2007, 02:10 AM
here's a idea for ya. take the decks off your ZTR's and race around on them like the guys with the little red hats and the tiny cars.

MSS Mow
07-11-2007, 08:44 AM
here's a idea for ya. take the decks off your ZTR's and race around on them like the guys with the little red hats and the tiny cars.

Why would you bother with taking the decks off?

My father and I raced my two Z's around in our local parade. Everyone loved it. Everyone was snapping pictures and video left and right.

HBLandscaping
08-12-2007, 04:43 PM
Last 2 years I just ran my truck and trailer (with equipment on it) through our local parade. I was the only Landscaping/Lawn Care company to do this, Then last year another local LC showed up. This company is a little bigger and been around longer then we have so this year I need to do something bigger/Better.