PDA

View Full Version : Ford F-150 headlights

BltFordTuf
06-22-2007, 01:30 AM
My truck's a 98 F-150. I like it, but i think the headlights look terrible. I have seen that a lot of them from that time have the same problem. The headlights are fogged over with condensation on the inside. Does anyone have any idea or know how to fix this?

Doug

Fairway Land & Lawn
06-22-2007, 01:53 AM
This is a common prob. Just replace the whole thing. They are not very exspensive, and makes a world of difference in the appearance and functionality. There is a bond between the lens and "bucket", this eventually breaks down and causes moisture to build up....Replaced mine 2 years ago. I have a 99'.

DOLMARatOS
06-22-2007, 11:14 AM
If you don't have the time or energy to pull the assemblies, I have a trick for you.

First. Take a 1/16" drill bit and drill a hole in the bottom 2 corners of each lens and the center top. This will eliminate the moisture in the lense in a very short time. I've never had a problem with leaving the holes open but you can re-seal them with a dab of clear silicone or super-glue.

As for the cloudy color. Use a soft terry towel and a bottle of Chrome Polish. Polish the lens 3 or 4 times, wipe off with a damp towel. Then apply 2 coats of good quality wax. Brings the lenses back to 80-95% of their original look.

This works on ALL plastic headlights, marker lights, etc. Been doing it for years and years and it WORKS.

BltFordTuf
06-25-2007, 12:31 PM
Fairway- how much did it cost you to replace the whole things. Can you just replace the lenses, or are the whole things are one piece?

DOLMARatOS-i tried what you said and it got a little better for like an hour, but then came back to before. I didnt put the holes in the corners. Is that what makes it better

doug

Fairway Land & Lawn
06-25-2007, 01:09 PM
The headlight assembly and the corner marker ( turn signal) are seperate "buckets". I actually found mine at a junk yard, both for $35. They are a dime a dozen around here. You can also buy them at your local auto parts store. They are a bit more exspensive, but you are getting OEM replacement. Also, If you do go to a junkyard look for a wrecked Lightning of the same body style. Try to get the headlights and corner lights out of that truck. They are clear lens instead of the diffuser lenses that we have. ( much brighter, and no clear coat over the lens to turn yellow..) However, any truck of the same body will do. The headlight and corner light assemblies should only take you about 10 minutes to change all of them.

DOLMARatOS
06-25-2007, 03:28 PM
Holes in the lower corners and center top eliminate the moisture by draining it and running the lights boils the moisture out. Polishing the lenses several times with chrome polish helps to remove the yellowing from UV attacking the lenses. Coat of wax helps preotect them. I do this once a year right before winter on my older trucks.