PDA

View Full Version : Underground electrical connection

craftbender
06-22-2007, 08:02 AM
My sump pump is five and a half feet underground inside a 12 inch pipe. I have to make an electrical connection under ground. The cord on the pump is long enough to reach up to the surface and I plan to run pvc conduit from the garage for the connection. I am looking for a way to make a proper connection. Any ideas? The pipe enclosure for the pump goes into a plastic 55 gallon barrel that collects water from the french drain.

D Felix
06-22-2007, 06:41 PM
If the cord on the pump will reach the surface, install a GFCI protected outlet at the surface with an all-weather cover over it and plug in the pump to the outlet.

Don't even think about doing this if you aren't licensed though, especially if it's for a client. Get an electrician to do it. If it's for you at your own home, you can do it at your own risk, but I'd still contact an electrician if you don't know what you are doing...

ChampionLS
06-22-2007, 11:06 PM
Cut off the plug. Get suitable wire to extend the length you need. Make sure its outdoor rated SJT Cord. You can buy direct burial wire nuts to make the splice. (They will not work as a strain relief) but you can bury it underground.

craftbender
06-22-2007, 11:53 PM
Super information. Thanks very much!

D Felix
06-23-2007, 05:16 PM
Make sure the direct burial nuts are rated for the higher voltage- most of them are low voltage only.