PDA

View Full Version : Bad access

neversatisfiedj
06-22-2007, 11:16 AM
I have a job I'm starting tomorrow and was wondering if anyone had any ideas. I am doing a pavement that is on top of the yard. I have a 3 foot tall retaining wall I have to get the material up. The crusher run base is the most of what I am worried about. I can't get any machines in here. Aside from making some sort of ramp , maybe out of 2x8's I don't have any other ideas. Anyone have any ideas from any SH*&&^ access jobs they have been on ?

Henry
06-22-2007, 11:48 AM
Can you back up to the wall and work off the truck?

neversatisfiedj
06-22-2007, 02:00 PM
Nope - that would be great

carcrz
06-22-2007, 03:04 PM
Would a Dingo work?

neversatisfiedj
06-22-2007, 03:12 PM
Not unless you built a ramp to hold that 2,000 lb machine ;)

Matt k
06-22-2007, 03:16 PM
This question should have been answered before you bid the job!!!

-Telescoping bucket (Pettibone,etc..)
-Material conveyor
-Concrete pump

neversatisfiedj
06-22-2007, 03:38 PM
Well I bid the job acordingly. I am getting $22.00 a square for hanover product that I have leftover from another job. I had planned on making a ramp with 2x8's. Just thought maybe some of these vets would have a better idea.

treedoc1
06-22-2007, 04:21 PM
Rent that telehandler with a bucket. Most have a 40' reach

waltero
06-22-2007, 04:52 PM
I had a job that I was looking at that had difficult access. What I thought of is building up along the wall with chrusher run material (you can use a geo-fabric to protect the wall and ground if you would like) to build a temporary ramp. then you will be able to have access to the area. If you compact the material and raise it beyond the wall it shouldn't have much impact on the wall itself.

I never got the job so I never had to do this but it was the solution that I came up with. If you use the fabric it should protect the wall and keep the cleanup of the ground to a minimum and you would be able to reuse the fabric on another job.

Good Luck!

BSDeality
06-22-2007, 08:14 PM
I had a job that I was looking at that had difficult access. What I thought of is building up along the wall with chrusher run material (you can use a geo-fabric to protect the wall and ground if you would like) to build a temporary ramp. then you will be able to have access to the area. If you compact the material and raise it beyond the wall it shouldn't have much impact on the wall itself.

I never got the job so I never had to do this but it was the solution that I came up with. If you use the fabric it should protect the wall and keep the cleanup of the ground to a minimum and you would be able to reuse the fabric on another job.

Good Luck!Bingo! Saw an this on a job last year. They crawled a 330 Cat Excavator right up and over a 2.5' wall by piling some gravel right along the wall, after they were done they just scraped it off the wall and spread it on the driveway. You might have to haul it off after, but thats life.

Shadetree Ltd
06-22-2007, 09:37 PM
Build a ramp or track down a ramp used to load a skid steer onto a truck. They load 6000 pound skinds into trucks with ramps, you should be able to rig up a system for the Dingo.

GreenMonster
06-22-2007, 09:59 PM
We just had two shiddy access jobs.

One, we built a ramp out of sand/gravel to get the MT52 up and over a boulder wall about 2.5' high.

The other, we had a 8' wide set of granite steps that we layed wood chips on so that we could get up them with an MT52 and a mini x.

Mike33
06-22-2007, 10:24 PM
My first bobcat 753 and i started out with a 1 ton chevy flat bed. I had the bright idea instead of buying a trailer just get a set of ramps and load the bobcat on to bed of truck to haul. I did this for about 6 times and realized is wasent to smart to have that machine sitting behind me. Any way i had a shitty job of leveling up for a pool, up over a 4' wall to get in yard. I went to my rental store and rented the ramps i sold back to them. It worked very well. But what i would do in this case get the steel ramps, then rent a smaller macine so the weight wasent so bad to go up over. Or could you dump things at bottom of wall and use a excavater to dip and swing material closer?
Mike

ChampionLS
06-22-2007, 11:36 PM
My first bobcat 753 and i started out with a 1 ton chevy flat bed. I had the bright idea instead of buying a trailer just get a set of ramps and load the bobcat on to bed of truck to haul. I did this for about 6 times and realized is wasent to smart to have that machine sitting behind me. Any way i had a shitty job of leveling up for a pool, up over a 4' wall to get in yard. I went to my rental store and rented the ramps i sold back to them. It worked very well. But what i would do in this case get the steel ramps, then rent a smaller macine so the weight wasent so bad to go up over. Or could you dump things at bottom of wall and use a excavater to dip and swing material closer?
Mike

OMG! are you crazy!!. My New Holland L785 weighs in at 4,000 lbs and a one ton pick up at Max can only hold 2,000 lbs. Your lucky it never rolled the whole truck over.

D Felix
06-23-2007, 06:09 PM
A "1-ton" (F-350, 3500, etc.) can only hold 2,000 lbs?? And a L785 is 4k??? I'm really starting to see just how full of it you are....

A 753 in the back of a 1-ton is not something that I would want to do (mostly because of center of gravity), but the truck should be capable of the 6-7k wieght of the machine.

Mike33
06-23-2007, 06:18 PM
Did you read the post. This is when i started out in 1994. I didnt know any better and only hauled it about 4 times. It was a long wheel base with one hell of a set of springs and saw mill lumber of deck. The truck actually hauled it and sat okey but not a smart thing to do. A 753 is less than 2 ton and i see guys hauling 4 ton in on a 1 ton dump plus the weight of the steel bed. Which load is heavier? No im not full of ****! Did a stupid stunt, yes.
Mike

D Felix
06-23-2007, 06:24 PM
We will regularly haul 3 tons on our F-350. It'll handle 4, but it doesn't like it....

Something tells me Champion is one of those guys who would tell me I'm full of chit for saying I've used trucks (F-350's) that had 15++ yard capacity for mulch too.

Mike33
06-23-2007, 10:31 PM
Yea, i know what you mean i hauled many 4 ton loads on mine when i had it, but the 5 ton hoist didnt like to dump it. Thinking back what i did hauling that machine like i stated i bet my local dot would have a **** fit. But when you start the hard way like i did you do what you have to do. I was in auto body business for 12 years when i decided to start bobcat service. I bought this old 79 chevy 1 ton flat bed rebuilt the body and re painted looked real good. I thought i could move equiptment this way, then had to borrow more money for a trailer. Then after shoveling out bed by hand of haul away items borrowed again and had dump bed built. Now i dont own a dump truck at all, i found it was cheaper for me to pay some one to haul for me.
Mike

zedosix
06-23-2007, 11:07 PM
We will regularly haul 3 tons on our F-350. It'll handle 4, but it doesn't like it....

Something tells me Champion is one of those guys who would tell me I'm full of chit for saying I've used trucks (F-350's) that had 15++ yard capacity for mulch too.

If you are talking about a f350 dually, then no problem at all for 4 tons. A single axle f350 with 4 tons would be sitting on the ground. :laugh:

zedosix
06-23-2007, 11:10 PM
OMG! are you crazy!!. My New Holland L785 weighs in at 4,000 lbs and a one ton pick up at Max can only hold 2,000 lbs. Your lucky it never rolled the whole truck over.

Your #'s are way off buddy.

east sooke man
06-25-2007, 12:16 AM
can you get close enough to use a slinger truck for the crush.

neversatisfiedj
06-25-2007, 07:32 AM
Thx for all the input guys. I just made a crude ramp with a 2x12 and humped all the material in and out that way.

zedosix
06-25-2007, 04:02 PM
Thx for all the input guys. I just made a crude ramp with a 2x12 and humped all the material in and out that way.

Well good, are you satisfied now. lol

Mike33
06-25-2007, 07:07 PM
yea, im the idiot that got every one to what a 1 ton could haul. 2 pages ago i was only trying to point out about the ramps i used then it turned in to a truck issue. Glad to see you worked it out.
Mike