View Full Version : mower leaving 1 or 2 grass uncut

bohiaa
06-22-2007, 08:00 PM
hay guys

I bought a 21" POS mower just to do a few lawns,

now I'm finding that it cuts ok, but it leaves a few blades of grass uncut,

in 1 stripe of cutting it may leave 15 or 20

all over the lawn,,,,

I checked balde its sharp but it's flemsey..... meaning it's easly flexable.

any idelas to make it cut ALL blades of grass

Nosmo
06-22-2007, 08:03 PM
Try another blade -- a new one.

kevinlane
06-22-2007, 08:25 PM
My 33" wb does the same thing. Is there a really good brand of blades? I think I'll try new blades to see if that is the problem. It only does it in 3rd gear.

Nosmo
06-22-2007, 08:34 PM
bohiaa: A new blade for your 21" POS mower might just get rid of all them stringers. I'll bet a longer blade would reach out and get um good. Try to get a 24" blade .

Long un's might not be fluxiable (bend easy) like them types of one you got now.

Oh if you do get a good stiff long one don't worry bout all that noise under the deck it'll get not so noisy after that new blade wears itself in. That means a long blade takes just a smidgin of a while after the clanging begins to get
a lot quieter.

Good Luck:p

Patriot Services
06-22-2007, 09:03 PM
My new lawn boy 6.5 Tecumseh POS did the same thing ( how I long for the old 2 strokers). The problem seems to be the low blade tip speed they idiot proof mowers with today. You might be able to get a few RPM's out of her by adjusting linkage. Back in the day you could actually put doubles on a 21 and not lose so much power. I modified a good blade by grinding an edge almost to the center. Works well on St. Augustine.:usflag: :usflag: :usflag:

Vikings
06-22-2007, 09:35 PM
I understand that all mowers will leave stringers depending on speed of the mower and thickness of grass.

Exact Rototilling
06-23-2007, 04:13 AM
hay guys

I bought a 21" POS mower just to do a few lawns,

What kind of mower? Bagging or mulching? Did you buy a cheapie? :rolleyes:

Nosmo
06-23-2007, 06:20 AM
bohiaa just bought the POS 21" mower (Piece of Schitt).

Nosmo ;)

Nosmo
06-23-2007, 06:31 AM
bohiaa: you might try getting another POS 21" and double cut at the same time.

How can you double cut at the same time with two mowers ??? Go to Walmart or Kmart and get a heavy belt for your pants. Tie a medium sized nylon rope to the belt so you will be able to hook the handles of the second mower. Start the mowers (be sure to wire the levers down) so they will run after you get them started.

Push one and pull the other. If you try this method let us know how this works out for you.

PS: be careful when you stop quickly or step backwards.

Nosmo :clapping:

bohiaa
06-23-2007, 09:26 AM
What kind of mower? Bagging or mulching? Did you buy a cheapie? :rolleyes:

its a troy built, bagging does it and mulching does it and so does side discharge.

I checked the blade it's very sharp, Kind of thin for my likeings,

its a 6.5 hp, one of those that ya just prine it, then start it, no throttle controll.

with the self propelled it really doent go very fast,

Wells
06-23-2007, 10:30 AM
Bohiaa,
Try a high lift mulching blade and keep it sharp, should solve your problem.

A mulching blade has a longer cutting surface then a regular blade and a high lift blade will help with the lift created by lower tip speed of the cheaper mowers and keeping it sharp is just common sense.

Exact Rototilling
06-23-2007, 04:02 PM
Did you buy it at Home Depot or another place with a 30 day return policy? If so drain gas - return POS mower to store - Problem solved. :hammerhead: Then go to Toro dealer and buy a 3 in 1 aluminum deck Toro with personal pace for around $500 to $650. Don't buy the steel deck cheapie.

If you plan on bagging 100% of the time go with a Areins 21 with a Kawi engine. These mowers are fast and great baggers that have high suction.

Nosmo
06-23-2007, 09:24 PM
bohiaa: I'm sorry for the answers I gave you. I thought you were just trying to pull our legs about that mower.

I would try another blade and clean out any debris/wet grass stuck to the deck.

If your part of Texas is getting the rain like my part of Oklahoma it doesn't look like the grass is going to dry out any time soon.

I hoisted my mower up today and I didn't think I had been mowing wet grass -- About a bushel of dirt and old grass under there.

Just thought of something else -- try to get as thick a blade that will fit that mower. Cutting wetter grass will cause a blade to flex more at the very tips.
Especially if the grass is wet enough to begin clumping.

Hope you get that problem worked out with that 21".

Nosmo:usflag:

bohiaa
06-23-2007, 09:34 PM
Bohiaa,
Try a high lift mulching blade and keep it sharp, should solve your problem.

A mulching blade has a longer cutting surface then a regular blade and a high lift blade will help with the lift created by lower tip speed of the cheaper mowers and keeping it sharp is just common sense.

yea that's what I was thinking , a higher lift blade,

I really didn't want to spend too much on it, Just have a few Customers that I use a 21" mower, Its just a Lowes 300. home owner mower. they look pretty, I had a Crasftman that I was using it's like 8 yerars old..... G-sale item, it Finley went boom. it was kind of a pretty thing, all that smoke and such. Burn baby Burn....

thanks

bohiaa
06-23-2007, 09:35 PM
bohiaa: I'm sorry for the answers I gave you. I thought you were just trying to pull our legs about that mower.

I would try another blade and clean out any debris/wet grass stuck to the deck.

If your part of Texas is getting the rain like my part of Oklahoma it doesn't look like the grass is going to dry out any time soon.

I hoisted my mower up today and I didn't think I had been mowing wet grass -- About a bushel of dirt and old grass under there.

Just thought of something else -- try to get as thick a blade that will fit that mower. Cutting wetter grass will cause a blade to flex more at the very tips.
Especially if the grass is wet enough to begin clumping.

Hope you get that problem worked out with that 21".

Nosmo:usflag:

NP, I kind of liked the answer about the larger blades,,,,,

It really doesnt matter wet of dry, there is NO ryme or reason to it....
I wonder how many homeowners are returining these mowers

Nosmo
06-24-2007, 02:58 PM
Our VFW post bought a new mower in May. It was one of those types TSC sells. No HP rating -- it has the CC size on the engine. No throttle control and it is front wheel self propelled. Seems to cut pretty good even when the grass is wet.

Gotta hold down one bar for the blade to turn and another to start the self propelled. I have never used it and I know I don't want to either.

I prefer a non self propelled and a throttle I can control. But I haven't needed a push mower since I moved to this house in 1990. I get it all with a weedeater, roundup and my Tank.

Nosmo

ed2hess
06-24-2007, 06:26 PM
I prefer a non self propelled and a throttle I can control. Nosmo

I don't see why they put throttles on small mowers .....just need choke like weed eaters?

Nosmo
06-25-2007, 06:36 AM
I don't see why they put throttles on small mowers .....just need choke like weed eaters?

All my weed eaters have a throttle control. I use my trigger finger to speed up the engine speed.

Nosmo

bohiaa
06-25-2007, 11:43 AM
Checked out the blades for this mower and found a mulching type with high lift, looks like issue resolved,

didnt want to go with a more expensive mower, I just use a 21" about 2 to 3 times every other week, But wanted a decient cut,

thanks for input

kevinlane
06-25-2007, 08:56 PM
Checked out the blades for this mower and found a mulching type with high lift, looks like issue resolved,

didnt want to go with a more expensive mower, I just use a 21" about 2 to 3 times every other week, But wanted a decient cut,

thanks for input

Just wanted to say, this thread helped me out alot. I got more info from this than the thread I posted about my own blade problem. Thanks :cool2: