PDA

View Full Version : Ford 2008 recall?

unit28
06-22-2007, 08:24 PM
More to follow I'm sure.
Something sending flames through the tailpipe on the big 6.4 diesel.
Coolest truck at the campground.

smores please.

Fairway Land & Lawn
06-22-2007, 09:58 PM
There is a good video of it on you tube. Hell, I would pay extra for the flaming tailpipe option....:drinkup:

LindblomRJ
06-22-2007, 10:23 PM
I would have to have it run straight out the back of the pickup. Torch the tailgaters. :)

TXNSLighting
06-23-2007, 12:12 AM
yeh, very old news, (like right after they came out) and its been fixed.. the video is awesome tho!

unit28
06-23-2007, 08:47 AM
I dunno about old news but if you say this is a fix.....LOL
I guess so.
-------------------------------

Ford dealers have an inventory on hand of roughly 29,000 Super Duty trucks with the 6.4-liter diesel engine. Sales of the hot selling truck will not resume until the engine control software can be updated.

The software upgrade resets the Super Duty powertrain control module on the Ford trucks to recognize improper levels of heat in the exhaust system. If heat is detected the system will power down the truck so the driver can pull to the side of the road and allow the truck to cool off.

Ford estimates the software can be modified during ten minute procedure. Super Duty trucks that have not been shipped from their assembly plant in Louisville, Kentucky will receive the engine control software update at the plant.

Customers with the first 8,400 diesel Super Duty trucks already on the roads will be notified that they should bring their vehicles into dealerships for the software update.

-----------------

I'd rather be drivin the twin turbo and blowin flames, rather than sitting on the side of the road.
WAIT A SECOND!!!!!
It's a Ford, I think they finally realized it is what it is.

Found
On
Road
Dead.....LOL.

LindblomRJ
06-23-2007, 09:38 AM
WAIT A SECOND!!!!!
It's a Ford, I think they finally realized it is what it is.

Found
On
Road
Dead.....LOL.

Whatever...

unit28
06-23-2007, 01:19 PM
Lindy.... oy-vey.

I don't hate Fords, but to say that is a fix is outfrigging rageous.

I drive an F250 and am not satisfied with their so called fix.

LindblomRJ
06-23-2007, 02:21 PM
Okay. Dad's 2004 recenlty ran into difficulties. Yeah, the Ford of today in not the same Ford of even 10 years ago.

Fairway Land & Lawn
06-23-2007, 02:42 PM
I would rather the engine power down and not destroy itself. I.e. the first generation duramax that would lift the cylinder heads if it was not idled for 10 minutes after being driven. Or, maybe kill a turbo because the oil cooling was not sufficient. Or, even the dodge killing lift pumps because of a low fuel pressure supply. The moral is that everything ( mainly first year production) has it problems. At least Ford only has minor problems, not anything major mechanical. I own 3 Ford diesel trucks, and have never had a single problem..Two of my buddies that are in the tree service have dodges and cant wait to get rid of them to buy Ford.

By the way
FORD

F irst
O n
R ace
D ay
!!!!! :drinkup:

Matts lawn care
06-23-2007, 02:48 PM
Here it is!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v36MCcRPRTc

unit28
06-23-2007, 03:02 PM
I would rather the engine power down and not destroy itself.
----
The moral is that everything ( mainly first year production) has it problems. At least Ford only has minor problems, not anything major mechanical. I own 3 Ford diesel trucks, and have never had a single problem..Two of my buddies that are in the tree service have dodges and cant wait to get rid of them to buy Ford.

By the way
FORD

Forked
Over
Rebuilt
Dodge........:laugh:

I mean honestly...
Would you be satisfied with a Diesel truck that you couldn't use for work?....REFUND? REFUND?, has heart attack.

Well then again,

they just gave us a new excuse to be late to work.

stroker51
06-24-2007, 11:49 PM
I just watched that youtube video for the first time, i know i would pay extra just to get a truck that threw flames! On the serious side, I am a die-hard powerstroke owner, but if my 96 7.3 with 200K will be pulling up a hill, and as long as i keep my egt's down have no problem, and a $50K+ 2008 6.4 shuts down on the same hill so that it can kick out of re-gen or whatever so the flames don't fly, that is not a fix. From what I gather from my uncle, who is an international service manager, the flame throwing heat has nothing to do with the egt's, as far as the engine is concerned. So even if your truck is throwing flames pulling a mini-hoe up a steep hill, it shouldn't hurt the truck, now it might catch a field on fire, burn up whoevers next to you. I guess there is essentially another fuel injector or something in the exhaust, that for something to do with emissions kicks in in what is called re-generation, burning all the crap out of the exhaust filter so emissions will be cleaner keeping epa happy. If I'm way off here somebody else jump in, and I'm going to quiz my uncle again later just so I know what is all so different about these new trucks, but that is my understanding of it all. When they're not throwing flames, i hear they are a badace truck.

unit28
06-25-2007, 07:34 AM
Meanwhile back at Frankies pizza shop......

http://www.1966batmobile.com/4flameon.jpg

TXNSLighting
06-25-2007, 09:48 AM
this is what gives trucks bad names. people saying stuff they really know nothing about. like most know, the 6.4 is in its first years. first year trucks always have problems cuz manufactures cant duplicate how people are going to use them. this (problem) was corrected way back in early april. it was due to the regen getting to hot. and fuel and oil ignited in the exhaust. so they recalled the few that were out, and on the dealer lots, and got them all fixed by reflashing the comp. they are no longer having the flame problem. their actually having no problems (atleast here in texas) this is the next (7.3) for fords. and it is a dam good engine. i talk with everyone i can who has them. and have yet to get a negative response. so please stop with the recall thing, its done and over. but the video is awesome!

Budget
06-25-2007, 10:28 AM
That's not what two friends of mine said. They both work at for dealers and this is still common. One was fired from one dealer for buying a new Cummins after his own dealer wouldn't work out a deal with him.

TXNSLighting
06-25-2007, 10:42 AM
its very true. hes obviously not a ford fan if hes buying a dodge, so of course hes going to bad mouth them.

Budget
06-25-2007, 11:22 AM
Not only is he bad mouthing them, so is lead truck mechanic at his shop. My friend that just purchased the Cummins said he loves it and has a good size race trailer to two his vintage Thunder Bolt around these hills here in Pa. His words to a few that were talking was, That Cummins pulled like my stroker never did. This is a Ford mechanic in his fiftys.

TXNSLighting
06-25-2007, 03:31 PM
well i have a cummins and can tell you it doesnt pull any better than my ford did. it does out pull the 7.3, but not the 6.0 and it definately wont outpull the 6.4.

unit28
06-26-2007, 08:53 PM
I can't find a link to where ford has fixed the problem.:confused:

TXNSLighting
06-28-2007, 09:31 AM
I can't find a link to where ford has fixed the problem.:confused:

thy did a recall way back when, and reflashed all trucks on the lots, and had everyone brings theirs back. it solved the problem. no more fires.

unit28
06-28-2007, 07:23 PM
so the problem now a useless truck without flames?....bummer

How can you flash a truck?
Does it make it go fastah, or do you have to pull over and let it
sit on road dead?

LindblomRJ
06-28-2007, 08:19 PM
Dang, flames out the tailpipe would great for tailgaters.

Don't think dad is to happy with his 6.0. The Ford Dealer installing two new heads on it. Apparently it didn't like pulling the stock trailer though the hills.

mag360
07-24-2007, 10:53 PM
Regen has been an issue for Gm, Dodge, and Ford (Isuzu, Cummins, Navistar).
Seems like gm got the jump start, though. Cummins will work it out and so will International. Ford is working it out on their own now. The 6.4 may turn up in Nissan's new line of 3/4ton trucks.

Texan--what do you tow? I know the 6.0 was a powerhouse but you rarely hear a complaint about the cummins motor--especially with heavy loads. Maybe you have a dud. Or a bad injector/weak lift pump. You are towing heavy right?

TXNSLighting
07-25-2007, 08:58 AM
its not really the cummins i think, but everything else. its got 4.10 gears, that on a single rear wheel, just suck. i tow bobcats, and vehicles from time to time. and of course mowers and crap, trees and plants also. the most ive had behind the cummins is about 14-15000 pounds. and it did good on the highway, but struggled bad in town. i had about 19000# on one of my 7.3 fords. and it pulled it quite nice. i had about 12000 on my 6.0 and it pulled great. took off good in town. and held 75 on the highway. this is my second cummins, and the first one was...well lets just say a ranger would out tow that one. and two dodge dealers said everything was working fine...bull#$%t! now this one tows alot better, but not that great. i mean 14000 is pretty impressive for a 3/4 ton. but not that much weight. ive had it completely checked out and boost is perfect, and all fuel is injecting great. then of course after i chiped it it now does great. better than a stock powerstroke. but man the dodge is just worthless. in the shop right now for new flywheel clutch and hydro clutch. there is nothing good around that bad a$$ engine! im at the point where its not worh having the cummins if it has to be in a dodge. In the coming years im goin to buy a ford lightning and put a twin turbod cummins in it. going to have it as a show/race truck. should be a fun project.