PDA

View Full Version : Transplant???

mike33087
06-22-2007, 08:36 PM
at some point when i can fit it in i have 5 arborvitaes that are about 5 feet tall and prob like 3 feet around. i need to remove them from a customers house and I was wondering if it was at all possible to transplant them at my house, trees are in great shape, i just hate trashing perfectly good plants when i can make my own forest of sorts lol

so basically are these trees easily transplantable

Lawnamus
06-22-2007, 08:44 PM
Arborvitaes are a hardy plant. I would however wait to remove/transplant until a more favorable season...not summer time. If you must, the bigger the root ball the better, fill dirt is cheap especially for trees this size. I would also give them so Miracle Grow liquid mixed up to help with transplant shock. Lesco sells a product called Transfilm or something like that, but you don't have 1000 trees. The MGrow will work fine, but just make sure they get enough H2O. Hope this helps.

AGLA
06-22-2007, 10:08 PM
They are a pretty eay transplant. They have a dense root growth in tight to the plant unlike most other conifers.It would be better to do it after the new growth really hardens up, but I would not be afraid to do it now as long as you can get them in the ground within an hour or two. Bury them 3/4 of the way then flood the hole, let the water settle in, then finish burying and water them heavily again. I would not fertilize when transplanting. Wait a few weeks.

Lksd Lawn
06-24-2007, 11:40 AM
I agree with AGLA

Just a thought. If you want to see just how big a ball should be on them just go to your local nursery and see the ones they have in stock(if they do) the balls on a arb arent as big as other evergreens, youll probably be surprised. You can transplant these anytime really. Very hardy.

Plant Buyer 83
06-24-2007, 11:55 AM
As said before bigger is always better when transplanting. Many nurseries that are worried about digging field grown trees in summer usually water plenty leading up to the dig, as you would expect. So if you have time about 5 days (start on a monday) before you want to transplant them water everyday and throughly and dig them on a friday. This way there not under drought stress. You could also have your holes dug at your house already so they are not sitting out while you are digging there holes. Just some things to think about, but take some pics and let us know how it turns out.

Matt

mike33087
06-24-2007, 05:31 PM
thanks guys, i pretty much figured what yall were gonna say but needed a second opinon ,, so it looks like it is a go probably do it this weekend thanks again and i will def do some pics

AGLA
06-24-2007, 10:23 PM
Bigger is better unless you make the ball so heavy that it can't hold itself together. I would also caution against an oversoaked ball. Even arborvitaes don't like their balls busted.

Good advice, but don't take it to an extreme as I am sure it is not suggested that you do.

Plant Buyer 83
06-25-2007, 06:11 AM
AGLA, has a very good point. Not only with the size of the ball but also with watering. If this week isn't very hot or you get some rain you may only need to water 1 or 2 or not at all. As you would expect, you don't want to be digging them out of a muddy slop. Just wanted to add on to AGLA comments to not over due anything like stated.

Focal Point Landscapes
06-26-2007, 12:15 AM
Its certainly worth a try - those are nice plants for free . You will need equipment to move a tree that size .

AGLA
06-26-2007, 08:03 PM
No, a spade and a wheelbarrow is plenty of tool power to transplant 5' arborvitaes.

PS. Are these the ones that did not die in an earlier post that showed some that had died?

Focal Point Landscapes
06-26-2007, 11:05 PM
I have used a wheelbarrow in the past , but it is much easier to lift the plant out with the Dingo and haul it , lift it and place it on the trailer without grunting and / or straining your back or dropping the rootball , which I hate to do.

AGLA
06-27-2007, 07:35 AM
Very true, but you don't "need" to use equipment for that job. It is an easy enough job that it does not make it worth renting the equipment, if he does not own it.