PDA

View Full Version : Selling out..

Wayne242
06-22-2007, 10:05 PM
Thinking about selling out of the landscaping business, and going into the tree service. Any thoughts on this, and as any one else took this step?

XterraJohn
06-24-2007, 03:01 PM
Do you have any experience doing trees yet? I've been thinking about taking a tree class, but I'm afraid that once I got up in the tree I would start to panic like a small child... :cry:

topsites
06-24-2007, 03:30 PM
You'll need the experience, so it is best to start with what you have, rather than making a sudden jump you make a gradual change over. Basically you start out experimenting with it, then keep going more and more in that direction, but take your time doing it or you might end up messing yourself up.

Way the story goes, you want to cut down 1,000 smaller ones for starters.
50-75 footers max, where the trunk is LESS than a foot in diameter, and there's not a whole lot of top to it, skinny stuff. Cut those down most any kind of way, but practice getting them to fall your way, and so on. I don't mean making them fall towards you, I mean make them fall the way you want them to fall. :laugh:

See what I'm saying is start small, work your way up, same as with the lawn care thing, the bonus this time around is you've got a customer base you can probably get a few jobs from to get started, and you're not brand new so you shouldn't get took advantage of as much either.

I hear say the money is good and you get a little more respect but you still get disrespected, just it's not as bad. That's probably one of my bigger pet peeves is that come hither boy crap.
Anyhow...Good luck.

Oh, you might want to check out arboristsite.com

Wayne242
06-24-2007, 07:56 PM
4 Years as a tree toper/remover, so yes i have the experience.

Mowingman
06-24-2007, 08:03 PM
I am doing something similar. Trying to sell off my lawn maint. business and will focus on my lawn equipment sales shop, as well as my stump grinding business. After 25 years of mowing, it is time to move on to other things.
If my potential buyer, a former employee of mine, gets his business loan, it is a done deal. Good luck with your changeover. Hope it works out for you.

Focal Point Landscapes
06-26-2007, 12:42 AM
Probably should do some market research to assess the competition - obviously would require substantial capital expenditure - higher insurance costs ... why do you want to change ? -

Wayne242
06-26-2007, 03:49 AM
Probably should do some market research to assess the competition - obviously would require substantial capital expenditure - higher insurance costs ... why do you want to change ? -

Well theres to many landscaping business starting up around here, and most low ballers ( the summer guys that do it for fun). Then you get into summer, and have all the kids out doing stuff cheap( which is great good way for them to learn ). There is only 2 other tree service business here, so theres money to be made in it. I used to work for the well known of the 2 tree service's here, and know the pay is a lot better then landscaping.. I checked the insurance, and its much cheaper then the landscaping insurance i have on the landscaping. Also running just one 66' bucket with dump, and chipper is better then running 4 landscaping trucks i have (also 2 trailers). Then its cheaper just running one crew of 2-3 guys, and not 2 that I'm running with the landscaping.

Pretty much the landscaping business is not really paying like it used to. The only thing i can think of is there is to many landscaping 1 man crews running around low bidding jobs i guess.. When your paying 6 guys from $7-15 hour, it builds up on you. I had to cut one crew to part time, and hated to do it ( though it was better then letting them go ). I have a guy coming to look at buying my business next week, and he will be relocating it if he buys it. He also agreed if my guys wonted to relocate with the business then he would keep them. So thats a plus i guess..

roc65
06-26-2007, 09:05 AM
Do you already have this "66 foot" bucket and chipper?

mag360
06-26-2007, 12:44 PM
I'd say it's a smart move. You can gross as much in a day of residential tree trimming or removal as you can in a light week of mowing. It just makes sense, especially since you already have the knowledge and experience needed to get the work done. Good luck with the changeover.

Wayne242
06-26-2007, 02:14 PM
Do you already have this "66 foot" bucket and chipper?

I own 2 chippers already (used 1 in landscaping). The bc1800xl vermeer, and a 1999 1850 Bandit, which i cant seem to start after seating for about a year? I also have a stump grinder from vermeer that i got used last year for a big job i had. The stump grinder already payed for its self in a year.

As for the 66' bucket truck no, but looking at a 88 57' bucket with a forestry chip box, and hi ranger which is the only thing i will use( hi ranger that is). Its was priced to me for $6500 which seems really cheap, and i have already checked it out. I plan on working it for some time, and then upgrading to bigger bucket truck. So all in all the only thing i need to buy is the bucket, and some gear. After selling the landscaping business i will have plenty to buy a truck with. Might even looking around for a bigger bucket be for commenting to buy the 52'.

I'd say it's a smart move. You can gross as much in a day of residential tree trimming or removal as you can in a light week of mowing. It just makes sense, especially since you already have the knowledge and experience needed to get the work done. Good luck with the changeover.

Ya i was talking to one of the tree service guys here, and he made over $8000 in a week, and did not work but 3 days that week ( 6 hours days ). So in less time, and less work i can make a better profit then landscaping. Its been fun with the landscaping, but bills come first, and i feel this is the right move.

GreenT
06-26-2007, 03:54 PM
It seems that you've done your research, seem to know your market, have most of the tools you'll need, and most importantly, have the knowledge/experience already. I would say go ahead.

Needles to say you'll be doing something that, in an instant, can change your life forever, if you survive.

I'm not that courageous and admire guys that do it for a living. My property has 5 Grand Daddy oaks (2 of them dated back to the 1,700's) that get trimmed every few years. Every time I look up and see them cutting at 40', 50', 60', I shake my head and say to myself "you couldn't pay me enough to do that".

Best of luck to you.

Muttonpower
06-26-2007, 04:59 PM
I would say its a mistake. The insurance alone will kill you. Stick with the landscaping

T.E.
06-26-2007, 05:14 PM
I have no way of knowing what workers comp. is in your state. My accountant told me that in OK WC for tree trimming is 75% of the employee's wage! That is way too high. So double check everything. Later, Tony

lifetree
06-26-2007, 09:23 PM
It seems like it would be more dangerous than what you're doing now !!

Wayne242
06-26-2007, 10:39 PM
I would say its a mistake. The insurance alone will kill you. Stick with the landscaping

Well being that its cheaper then what I'm paying now for the landscaping business. Keep in mind I have 6 guys working for me, and there driving my 4 landscaping truck with trailers.. Also note 2 or 3 or under 21 so that don't help. I have already check this also, and its a lot cheaper which was a total shock to me. I'm still go to check into it more, but i talked to a tree service owner here, and he was good enough to give me a run over on how his is set up. So that may be the way I'll do it also. I'll have to call tomorrow to get the prices, and see if main will be as cheap as his is.

Focal Point Landscapes
06-26-2007, 11:55 PM
Well , you already have much of the equipment that you will need and the experience , why not just cut back on the landscaping and just do the most profitable jobs and start the tree business slowly . Maybe one of your workers can run the landscape division .

lifetree
06-27-2007, 08:16 PM
Well , you already have much of the equipment that you will need and the experience , why not just cut back on the landscaping and just do the most profitable jobs and start the tree business slowly . Maybe one of your workers can run the landscape division .

This sounds like a good approach to starting another business line ... in other words, don't put all your eggs in one basket !!

BQLC
06-28-2007, 10:56 AM

I would go this route and kinda transition into it. It sounds like a good move and if done properly both the landscaping and tree trimming could be successful. Good luck with it

Wayne242
06-28-2007, 08:07 PM
I would go this route and kinda transition into it. It sounds like a good move and if done properly both the landscaping and tree trimming could be successful. Good luck with it

Yes i been thinking about this also. I have already priced my business to a guy who is coming to look at it however. If he accepts its gone, but i priced it really high so it could go ether way. The guy heard i was thinking about selling out, and as bugged me since so i priced it to him. I thought the price would surly scare him off, but he gave a date he would be down..

roc65
07-04-2007, 09:26 AM
Think long and hard before you purchase a 19 year old bucket. Many tree men die every year from boom failure. Check out arboristsite.com.Look at the injury and fatalities forum.
For 30-$35000 you can buy a totaly reconditioned unit from a half dozen places. If you need names and numbers,let me know.
Are you or any of your crew trained in airial rescue?
Do you climb? What system do you use?

The reason I ask is,sometimes I'll have to get out of my 60 footer on large removals (80-90') to blow the tops out.

There are so many things to consider when going into this type of buisness. If I can help you out in any way ,let me know.

tie in twice and work safe
later,Roc

Wayne242
07-04-2007, 05:00 PM
I'm in the fire and rescue service so i guess i do. Also 4 years of tree service i would say i learned even more.

"Many tree men die every year from boom failure." Yes and if you read up on it, 99% of them or due to lack of service to the equipment, and not the equipment just failing. I service my equipment yearly so any problems will be found be for the get dangers. Also i just had the truck inspected last week, and past. I had new calenders put on it any how, and hoses etc.

roc65
07-04-2007, 05:30 PM
Wow,sounds like you know it all. Good luck to ya.