PDA

View Full Version : Kawi engine FH641v-so9

tc21
06-22-2007, 11:53 PM
I have a 62" scag with a Kawasaki FH641v-So9 engine on it. The engine recently decided to blow a oil seal and oil came out the top of the engine.
My mechanic suggested to replace the short block due to the number of Hrs. If I rember correctly when I worked for someone else we had some ferris lawn mowers with these engines and they would give us problems often.
Does any one know if the FH641V is worth replacing with a short block (do they have problems often)? Or should I buy a diffrent engine.

Restrorob
06-23-2007, 12:28 AM
Does any one know if the FH641V is worth replacing with a short block (do they have problems often)? Or should I buy a diffrent engine.

Hmmm, To my knowledge Kawasaki doesn't offer short blocks. It's a new engine or nothing.

I have seen no problems with the basic engine but all Kawasaki's are known for coils petering out.

If you go another brand engine then you will be faced with wiring dilemmas as many are when doing something like this.

tc21
06-23-2007, 12:43 AM
I had seen a short block for sale at the small engine warehouse web site for around $500.00 I was going to give them a call tommorow to see if the numbers would match.

Restrorob
06-23-2007, 09:03 AM
Jump all over that one, What that was is a damaged engine they stripped down to form a short block.....

tc21
06-23-2007, 08:43 PM
I'll buy that one. I'm just waiting for my mechanic to check out the shaft size. He said he will call me on monday. The price is reasonable.