PDA

View Full Version : How does this sound???

stevenf
06-23-2007, 01:56 AM
I just started law work and have been in it for about 2-3 weeks. I Just got my second yard today( Flyers going out very soon.) The lady told me she would need it cut every two weeks. The yard will take about 35-40 minutes to cut. since it was a two week yard, I gave her the price of $45.00. she then kinda flipped saying that Mike only charges $30.00 every two weeks,(who is mike? I have no Idea.....) There was really no budging on this lady with my price. Since she is in the same neighborhood as my other yard and I only had one yard at the time, I told her $35.00.
Are you guys ever guilty of underchargeing because your low on business? I plan on raising her price after I get more yards.
Do you thin I was wrong in dropping the $20.00 a month from her? does a 35-40 minute lawn, every two weeks, sound like a $45.00 job to yall?

fiveoboy01
06-23-2007, 03:33 AM
My rule for myself, I never budge on my price, regardless how much anyone whines about it.

Not to mention, the customer very well could be lying about what they are currently paying. Easy tactic to get you to drop your price.

By the way, who IS mike? And why isn't HE cutting her lawn for 30 bucks bi-weekly? If she liked his price so much, why is she looking elsewhere? Either she's not being truthful, or mike A) isn't reliable or B) gave up working because he's not making any money with his lowball prices.

You have expenses to pay. If the customer doesn't want to pay your price, then they can find someone else.

Of course accounts will be slim-pickins when you're first starting out. But do a good job, do what you can to advertise, and it won't be so much of a worry, as you'll get more people calling, and the opportunity to pick up more accounts.

Exact Rototilling
06-23-2007, 04:02 AM
Stevenf,

I've allowed myself to be low balled on rototilling jobs twice to "maintain competitiveness" it will never happen again. I personally felt cheapened by agreeing to it.

As for lawn cutting I have a preset hard limit that I will never drop below. My approach is to offer outstanding service going beyond the customers expectations so that they are unlikely to have the neighbor kid mow their lawn ever again. Spend an extra 5 minutes on the yard to attend to details and they will typically notice. I double check my string trimming when I'm done mowing. I'm sure they notice I spent the extra 3 minutes of effort getting that little spot I missed eariler.

When I was Rototilling this spring it was not uncommon for people to pay me more then the quoted rate for my services. This was typically from customers who have had their gardens tilled by the other guy last fall or spring who obviously didn't do a very good job. My rates are more then Joe Smoe's Rototilling but you get more than what you pay for from my Tilling Co.
:weightlifter:

Turf Professionals Inc.
06-23-2007, 09:27 AM
I NEVER EVER give a lower price after my initial price. The client could read into that as you were being dishonest and you were trying to price gouge her. Once you give a price stick with it. That guy may have doing her yard with a dang push mower.

Prestige-Lawncare
06-23-2007, 10:02 AM
I NEVER EVER give a lower price after my initial price. The client could read into that as you were being dishonest and you were trying to price gouge her. Once you give a price stick with it. That guy may have doing her yard with a dang push mower.

Correct! Save price negotiating for buying a used car! If I were going to do it for $5.00 less, then I would have bid it at that in the beginning. The only way I lower my price is if I do less work ... say if they had wanted bed maintenance done, but will drop that for a lower price.

stevenf
06-23-2007, 02:29 PM
The only reason I went lower is because she was my second yard having. When I get a few more and can afford it, I will raise her price or just drop her completely. I know there was some reason behind the Mike thing but she was stuck on his $30.00 price and I really needed some yards lol.
How do price raises usually work for yall? do the customers usually complain and say they no longer need you?

lawnman_scott
06-23-2007, 04:03 PM
The only reason I went lower is because she was my second yard having. When I get a few more and can afford it, I will raise her price or just drop her completely. I know there was some reason behind the Mike thing but she was stuck on his $30.00 price and I really needed some yards lol.
How do price raises usually work for yall? do the customers usually complain and say they no longer need you?Price increases are usually no problem. Maybe 1 or 2 of 50-60 complain. When your starting out you have to do what you have to do though. $30 is better than $0.

stevenf
06-23-2007, 06:37 PM
Do you usually set your price increase by $5-$10 increments? When you usually raise your prices, is it by $5.00?

capetan
06-23-2007, 10:57 PM
do it for 35 this year and charge 45 next year.....this way you get the business, and you prove yourself and your quality of work to the customer......

johnnywill08
06-26-2007, 12:13 PM
I just started law work and have been in it for about 2-3 weeks. I Just got my second yard today( Flyers going out very soon.) The lady told me she would need it cut every two weeks. The yard will take about 35-40 minutes to cut. since it was a two week yard, I gave her the price of $45.00. she then kinda flipped saying that Mike only charges $30.00 every two weeks,(who is mike? I have no Idea.....) There was really no budging on this lady with my price. Since she is in the same neighborhood as my other yard and I only had one yard at the time, I told her $35.00.
Are you guys ever guilty of underchargeing because your low on business? I plan on raising her price after I get more yards.
Do you thin I was wrong in dropping the $20.00 a month from her? does a 35-40 minute lawn, every two weeks, sound like a $45.00 job to yall?

if mike's so great, why aren't you keepin him b!tch!!!!!!!! :weightlifter:

Lifesav4
06-27-2007, 11:02 AM
Mike, Mike, ???...There is no stinking MIKE !

johnnywill08
06-27-2007, 12:03 PM
mike's dead.... i put him in the compost heap. that'll be 60 bucks please.