PDA

View Full Version : Discharge flap: to be or not to be?

green-pa
06-23-2007, 03:01 AM
I'm in the market for a 36 wb. At my local Scag dealer he told me that in his business he always removes them, the flap that is. He says it just gets in the way. I can see how it would when it comes to passing through gates and such. What do most of u guys do, leave the black plastic flap on or remove it permenently? And for that matter, do u replace it with a mulching plate or just leave the discharge side open? Is this dangerous?

charmill26
06-23-2007, 03:18 AM
i'd say nearly everyone seems to take them off. i dont have one on either of my mowers. i think its probably a little more dangerous but should be fine as long as you're careful. i think that it also helps to discharge the clippings better

MeadowsLawnCare
06-23-2007, 04:16 AM
I would think that would be a lot more dangerous, can't you just fold them up? Thats what i do to fit in tight areas.

Armadillolawncare
06-23-2007, 07:43 PM
Don't you guys have hinges on yours? I was able to figure out how to fold mine back to get through tight areas pretty quick. You know the best part? The flap folds right back down to the origial position again.

snowjeep
06-23-2007, 10:10 PM
I got a piece of aluminum 2" sqaure tube and some longer bolts so the chute sits higher. This way it dispenses grass more evenly while still giving protection.

richallseasons
06-23-2007, 10:19 PM
mine have lock nuts so that they can remain loose, I flip them up most of the time but can flip them down too without any effort.

Uranus
06-23-2007, 10:23 PM
I flipped mine up on my metro. I put it up when I bought it 2 years ago and have never put it down. I've used 36" mowers now for 3 different companies and have never mowed a lawn with the flap down. Throws clipping better with flap up.

cranium2001
06-23-2007, 11:49 PM
Put a tiny hole in the flap (drill), insert small bungee cord in hole, clip to non moving object on mower and presto. If you want it up it's up. If you feel you need it down you can take the bungee off. It works for me anyways.

TinMan421
06-24-2007, 12:37 AM
Put a tiny hole in the flap (drill), insert small bungee cord in hole, clip to non moving object on mower and presto. If you want it up it's up. If you feel you need it down you can take the bungee off. It works for me anyways.

The bungee or tarp strap works well for me also. If I get grass that is long and starts to bunch I tie it up. I learned a while back that rocks go alot further when the flap is up and the blade is more exposed. I once shot a rock across the street and into the door of a newer pickup truck. No insurance so it was out of pocket, seems to me at the time it was around 250 dollars to get the door fixed. I would hate to pay for that door skin today out of pocket.

Guthrie&Co
06-24-2007, 12:57 AM
not to mention osha will nail you from not having the flap!

KTO Enterprises
06-24-2007, 01:33 AM
If you have a claim for hitting something and someone happens to notice you do not have your discharge flap on or a manufacture produced mulcing guard, you just opened yourself up for a lawsuit that your insurance company does not have to cover you on, because you did not take all safety precautions as prescribed by the manufacturer. These OCDC systems that are sold and promoted through this site will get you nailed too.

You can chance it if you want but you are risking the house and lively hood that you and your kids live by.

Rob.C
06-24-2007, 01:45 AM
Remove the flap and have a power chute put on, go to power chute design.com, you will love it, his name is norm great guy to deal with.

KTO Enterprises
06-24-2007, 10:54 AM
Remove the flap and have a power chute put on, go to power chute design.com, you will love it, his name is norm great guy to deal with.

Those things are lawsuits waiting to happen. If it is in the up position it will allow rocks, sticks, doggie chew toys or whatever your mower fancies throwing across the yard up and in the air. The whole point of a discharge chute is it keeps whatever it throws down across the grass, not up in the air. I use my discharge chute at all times. Not worth the risk of losing my insurance.

Rob.C
06-24-2007, 05:11 PM
I guess the lawns u mow have debris all over them, I wouldnt even mow something like that, but the power chute u can set the door at many different heights.

KTO Enterprises
06-24-2007, 05:20 PM
Any lawn can have anything in it at anytime. I have million dollar lawns that I have hit a random stone or golf ball in. I tell you this because I have a friend who lost his business because he was mowing without his discharge chute.

green-pa
06-24-2007, 08:18 PM
Any lawn can have anything in it at anytime. I have million dollar lawns that I have hit a random stone or golf ball in. I tell you this because I have a friend who lost his business because he was mowing without his discharge chute.

Wow! Maybe it could install a bungy like a guy mentioned above, so that I can at least get thru gates easier and then let it back down most of the time, only raising it shen I'm sure nothing is in the direction of the discharge.
It's kind of funny though, that the man told me the first thing he does is remove his discharge flap when he buys a new or used one but that he has to sell them out the door with it on by law. This is a guy that has been doing business for over 30 years, has probably hundreds of properties to do as well as his own commercial mower store here in town.

Rob.C
06-24-2007, 09:39 PM
dude I am telling u, get a power chute, got to there web-site and u will see why. when u go near a sidewalk, mulch bed u just hit a button and it closes, bugy cords look un- proffesional IMO