PDA

View Full Version : Couple of newbie questions....help!

Novaowner
06-23-2007, 09:49 AM
Help!...Got a customer who wants an estimate for mulch around several small pine trees. There's grass growing pretty much all around right up to the trees. Is it better to spade the dirt and grass under or would some grass and weed killer work ok, before you put weedblock and mulch down?

Also how do you all charge for seeding and strawing?....by the square foot or what? And how much do you charge?

Thanks for any help.

BUCKEYE MOWING
06-23-2007, 10:46 AM
Use a spade and cut in your tree circle and remove the sod down a couple inches. Then mulch 2 to 3 inches deep. You could put preen down before you mulch if you wanted to. Not sure what to tell you on the charge part. I charge by the yard on mulch.

Your Lawn First
06-23-2007, 06:56 PM
Use the spade and then put the preen down like Buckeye said, I also charge by the yard for mulch. For seed it all depends on how much, how bigg the area is what type and so on you could charge by the sq foot or for the hole yard.

STRINGALATION
06-23-2007, 08:18 PM
same here with mulch on the seed i always do square foot 8 pounds per 1000 sqft. at 25.00 per 1000 sqft i usually dont charge for straw or starter fert @ 1 pound per 1000sqft i figure i am not licensed for fert so i dont charge till i get my license at 8 lbs of seed i always have enough to do a follow up in 2 weeks if there are bad spots

question around here under pines ends up full of pine needles maybe suggest pine straw instead that would be an upsell around here pine straw is not that popular hope i helped

Novaowner
06-23-2007, 09:20 PM
I thought it would be better to spade it too. I'll look over his yard on Monday and give him an estimate. The way the trees are set up is in two rows side by side, and staggered. I'd probably have to spade up a rectangle size area roughly about 100 feet long by 7 feet wide....would be alot of digging.

echeandia
06-24-2007, 08:19 AM
If you put Preen down like Buckeye and First suggest you better have a pesticide applicators license.