PDA

View Full Version : Better Oil-Briggs or Valvoline

John_99_2007
06-23-2007, 11:08 AM
I'd love some advice guys.

Straight SAE 30 oil seems to be recommended for most mower engines unless using synthetic.

I can buy Valvoline SAE30 or Pennzoil SAE30 for about half the price of Briggs SAE30.

Also, the "auto" oil meets higher modern standards. The "mower" oil says it is made especially for small 4 strokes, but it seems they're just trying to sell a more expensive oil.

My assumption is that the "auto" oil is both better and cheaper.

Am I wrong?

My mowing is in warm conditions (mostly 70-100 F) under light to medium workloads (weekly residential-no brush or field mowing)

I'd appreciate ANY input in this area.

MJS
06-23-2007, 01:14 PM
I don't know if the auto oil is actually better, but I don't think it's any worse. I always use Penzoil SAE10W-30 for my mowers. I have noticed no problems ever. I don't know why the Briggs would be so much more expensive.

gary6768
06-23-2007, 01:49 PM
I use Super Tech SAE 30 from Walmart. I've used it for several years and never had a problem.

Exact Rototilling
06-23-2007, 02:02 PM
I have been using synthetic Mobil 1 15w-50 in all my mowers & tillers. However I will be switching over to Shell Diesel rated synthetic Rotella 5w-40 because it's has a bit more of the good stuff that is now being pulled out of gasoline rated oils that are wear additives due to catalytic converter issues. Also less money. It is a highly praised sleeper product that is overlooked and has a great cost benefit ratio. I also run this oil in all of my cars & trucks. Yes it's also rated for gas engines. Most engine wear occurs at cold start up so why not give your equipment to benefit of better protection upon start up?

The brigs oil is fine but is probably repackaged automotive oil of some sort or brand.

If you're concerned about synthetic not allowing the rings to seat properly on break-in go with a diesel rated oil in the 15w-40 range. Then switch to synthetic after 40 hours or so.

You can find more info on oil and other lubricants than you ever wanted to know at www.bobistheoilguy.com

newz7151
06-23-2007, 03:14 PM
Oil sold by small engine manufacturers has been derived and has additives to help protect at higher temperatures experienced by air cooled engines. But you guys do what you want.. it's your engine.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
06-23-2007, 04:19 PM
OIL is oil,i would think a vehicle is running at high temps.

John_99_2007
06-23-2007, 04:33 PM
Newz-

What exactly are the additives designed for air cooled engines?

Trust me- if it is better, I want to use the "mower" oil. It's only a few dollars we're talking about. It just seems they're in a good position to charge more for the same thing- when someone buys a mower and then sees "Briggs and Stratton Oil-Perfect For Your Engine" they just buy it because it seems like what they should use. That buyer doesn't consider any alternatives.

I just wan't to consider half price alternatives if they're the same quality for my motors.

Please pass along any specific info so I can learn as much as possible.

TSG
06-23-2007, 05:24 PM
The motorcycycle world has proven that synthetics can run up to 20 degress
cooler. Air cooled engines do better with synthetics.
The additive package is what can make them expensive.
I run amsoil 10-30 4 stroke, but if I needed to add a quart and didn't have any,
I would not hesitate to add 20-50 in the summer and 0-30 in the spring and Fall
Just remember Synthetics are better but dust and dirt can hurt a motor before the oil breaks down,,,,,change/ clean the air filter ofter
Just my .02
Alan

Exact Rototilling
06-23-2007, 05:30 PM
Ok lets get picky here. You want the best possible oil money can buy then how about an air cooled specific high temp oil for your Harley or your mower. The old Advanced Formula of Mobil1 15w-50, over 5 years ago, was very similar to this oil is un unused analysis. Now I seriously doubt that current Mobil1 15w-50 has all the good stuff in it due to the current catalytic converter requirements. If you spend hours of searching on www.bobistheoilguy.com you can find it.
;)

I'm 100% sure the Motor Cycle 20w-50 oil is far better than the 30wt Brigs oil hands down.

In my earlier post I mentioned that I was using Mobil1 15w-50. I also cheat a bit and add small quantites of ZDDP additive or some Valvoline Synpower which has even more of the good stuff that has been striped out in most of today's modern oils to meet catalytic converter requirements. Don't believe me - check out the site listed above.

http://www.mobil1.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Oils/Mobil_1_V-Twin_20W-50.aspx

Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W-50
Formulated specifically for four-cycle V-twin engines. Key benefits of Mobil 1® V-Twin 20W-50:

Outstanding resistance to thermal breakdown.

Optimized for hot-running, air-cooled engines.

Enhanced lubrication for peak horsepower.

Protects engines against harmful dirt deposits.

Excellent transmission performance.

MeadowsLawnCare
06-23-2007, 06:50 PM
Ive ran the briggs oil and ive ran regular car oil. The only difference i saw was the briggs oil was blacker faster than my valvoline.... I use valvoline 30w and it does good.

TSG
06-23-2007, 09:49 PM
Wow
I see that oil is as touchy on this site as it is on most motorcycle sites

:cry:

TSG
06-23-2007, 10:19 PM
Wow
I see that "oil" is as contriaversial here as it is on all the motorcycle sites.
The short version, after a years of oil analysis.
Most "Full" Synthetics are very close when it comes to suggested drain intervals.
M1, Amsoil, and Redline are all a coin toss. whre you live can be the determining factor of what presents best. In the N East, Amsoil tends to have
a great following in motorcycles and 4 strokes. The problem is that unlike cars, mower engines get dirtier and require more frequent changes, basically making them
all even.
ps: M1 buys many of their additives from Amsoil.
and no, I am not a dealer,,,
I also just did some basic research and cant find support the 15-50 is any better
than 5-30, 10-30, 10-40,,,,,,,as long as the additives and 4 stroke are similar
Adios

newz7151
06-23-2007, 11:33 PM
OIL is oil,i would think a vehicle is running at high temps.

A vehicle is liquid cooled and runs much cooler than a mower engine that relies on using the air around it to cool it down. Get you a laser temp gauge and point it at your car engine block while it's running and then start up your mower to operating temp and point it at it.

As for price, a local LCO was in on Wednesday and was saying how he needed to run to the auto parts store to pick up a case of oil (Castrol 30w). Says it pains him to be paying $2.99/qt though. Asked him why he's buy automobile oil for $2.99 when we have Kohler 30w for $2.69/qt. He left with a case of Kohler.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
06-23-2007, 11:42 PM
True we tried the temp laser on a lc and a air cooled,in hot areas down south i say go for the lc engine i keep my oil clean,

Exact Rototilling
06-24-2007, 12:58 AM
Wow
I see that oil is as touchy on this site as it is on most motorcycle sites

Got a few hours check this thread out on bobistheoilguy.com A number of posts down that thread - HD deiseil oil is brought up and addreses the issues I mentioned earieir. Many modern automotive oils lack the addtives needed for protection from wear due to catalytic converter issues.
:hammerhead:

What is the best viscosity for lawn equipment? (http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=735769&page=1&fpart=all&vc=1)

tazman7
06-24-2007, 10:19 AM
Amsoil is the best

KTO Enterprises
06-24-2007, 03:00 PM
The brad penn racing oil is probably the best oil money can buy. It is the original Kendall Green oil. Brad Penn and American refining group bought the rights to the formula and now manufacture it.

This oil and what makes it best was demonstrated to me at a racing seminar.

If you take a ball bearing and heat it with a torch and pour a capfull of brad penn oil on it, the oil will actually stick to the bearing and cool it off. Any other type of oil, synthetic or conventional will burn off, and leave the ball bearing hot. It all had to do with the amount of additives in it.

The oil used to be kendall oil. But Kendall sold the formula for the green oil to brad penn and then sold the rest of their operation to a sh*t company that makes crap for oil and puts the Kendall name on it.

KTO Enterprises
06-24-2007, 03:02 PM
http://www.engineproparts.com/BradPenn.html

This is where to get it from. I use the SAE 30 as a break in for the race cars and put it in my mowers also.

gary6768
06-24-2007, 06:57 PM
I'll stick to Super Tech SAE 30 from Walmart priced at 99 cents a quart. Been using it for several years in my mowers and use Super Tech 5w 30 in my vehicle that has 185,000 miles.

KTO Enterprises
06-24-2007, 11:51 PM
you can run your supercrap from wally world. That stuff is piss in a bottle. I am telling you guys that Brad Penn oil is the best on the market. HANDS DOWN

lurch
06-25-2007, 01:40 AM
you're very rude to people on here...this is the second thread i've seen where you're bashing someone else...

chill out and go with the flow or go away....

by the way....amsoil is the way to go...HANDS DOWN.....

KTO Enterprises
06-25-2007, 02:15 AM
I just speak the truth. Amsoil is good no doubt. Not all oils are created equal. I have been in the racing world for over 13 years and have seen every demonstration on oil. I have had machine shops and very high powered well known racing engine builders across the county tout Brad Penn Racing Oil as being the best oil on the market. The crude they pump in pennsylvania is the best in the world for producing a lubricant oil. Absolutely none of the crude is turned into fuel, all goes into oil.

I am merely trying to help people make their motors live longer. There is something about the green oil that is just the best. When kendall owned the rights to it, places could not keep it on the shelves. I race a ford 2300 4 cylinder that naturally aspirated puts out just above 200 hp. I never had a rod bearing failure while using Penn oils. At the beginning of this year People bought up the entire country wide stock of the 20w-50 I use, and It was on backorder so I tried using valvoline racing oil and mobil 1. Both oils resulted in spun rod bearings. I have since built another 2 engines and I will not even start them until I get Brad Penn oil to run in it.

Everyone can believe what they want, but i will continue using penn oils.

Engine builders that use Penn oil
Bouchers racing engines
Tom Hemphill Racing Engines
Engine Pro Parts http://www.engineproparts.com/BradPenn.html
VW Paradise http://www.vwparadise.com/
Johnson Machine.

Just to name a few.

gary6768
06-25-2007, 06:22 AM
No way in the world would Mobil 1 or Valvoline oil cause that type of damage to your engine. Me thinks your talking out your arse.

KTO Enterprises
06-25-2007, 09:40 AM
No way in the world would Mobil 1 or Valvoline oil cause that type of damage to your engine. Me thinks your talking out your arse.

You want to come look at the bearings that came out the motor? Call Johnson machine in Kinards sc and ask them what oil is the best. They have had increased engine failures since having to race with valvoline oil too. I have no reason to lie to people on here. but since you called me a liar tell me what your credentials are. I know I am a 2 time track and 2 time state Legends car champion. That is an air cooled engine. Before I ran Brad Penn Oil, I had to change it every week and it came out black as can be. Oil temp gauge would peg at 320. I started running The Brad Penn and didnt have to change it but every 2 or 3 races, and it came out looking like it went in. It also made the engine run cooler at around 300 degrees (oil temp). This is backed up by World of outlaws dirt Latemodel Champion Donnie Moran.

http://www.bradpennracing.com/testimonials/DonnieMoran.html

gary6768
06-25-2007, 12:38 PM
KTO how old are you????

KTO Enterprises
06-25-2007, 12:40 PM
Old enough to know better than to use cheap oil.

KTO Enterprises
06-25-2007, 12:43 PM
And what does age have to do with anything?

gary6768
06-25-2007, 12:53 PM
And what does age have to do with anything?

I would say you're no older than 25.

TSG
06-25-2007, 01:09 PM
Wow
This is just like my Harley Sites
But gutta say, I have never heard of Brad Penn.

gary6768
06-25-2007, 01:37 PM
Wow

I've never heard of it either. Well whatever is in your crankcase now you had better drain it and go buy some Brad Penn Oil because if you're using shitty oils like Mobil 1 and Valvoline you're gonna spin a bearing. Knowing that a 2 time State Legends Car Champion endorses Brad Penn Oil I gots to get me some of that and stop ruining my engines.

Exact Rototilling
06-25-2007, 01:43 PM
I'll stick to Super Tech SAE 30 from Walmart priced at 99 cents a quart. Been using it for several years in my mowers and use Super Tech 5w 30 in my vehicle that has 185,000 miles.
here are the results of an unused oil analysis for this oil @ bobistheoilguy.com

Super Tech DINO Virgin 5W/30 (http://theoildrop.server101.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=842846&an=0&page=3#Post842846)

KTO Enterprises
06-25-2007, 04:06 PM
Wow

I bet you have and just dont know it. If you read my posts further up, Brad Penn is the original kendall green oil. Kendall sold out.

KTO Enterprises
06-25-2007, 04:17 PM
Most oils are made in Ashland Kentucky and then private labeled for who ever buys it.

Companies who no longer make their own oil.
Valvoline (is an Ashland oil)
Castrol
Pennzoil
Havoline

If you turn your oil bottle over and look down in the bottom corner on the back you will see who actually makes it.

I dont sell the brad penn oil, nor do I work for them, so what do I have to benefit by telling everyone that it is the best that money can buy, and its not really that expensive. I am merely trying to get people to see that there is a better oil out there.

KTO Enterprises
06-25-2007, 04:23 PM
I've never heard of it either. Well whatever is in your crankcase now you had better drain it and go buy some Brad Penn Oil because if you're using shitty oils like Mobil 1 and Valvoline you're gonna spin a bearing. Knowing that a 2 time State Legends Car Champion endorses Brad Penn Oil I gots to get me some of that and stop ruining my engines.

You are a clown. You can mock me all you want, and yes I am 24. But I can bet that in my 24 years I have accomplished more than most.

Whether its racing, or working, I give honest advise to anyone that is willing to learn from any mistakes that I have made along the way. Thats more than most of you people can say.

If you were so smart you could read my public profile and see my age. I have nothing to hide from anyone. You are merely a name on here. I show my equipment, and anything else anyone wants to know about me.
www.kevinobrienracing.com

KTO Enterprises
06-25-2007, 04:35 PM
Most have probably never heard of Swepco but that is another top notch oil.

The problem with most new oils is the reduction in the amount of zinc and phosphorus.

Im pretty sure that LN Engineering, a company that specializes in Porsche and Vw air cooled engines would know the best oil for aircooled. And guess who they recommend.

http://www.lnengineering.com/oil.html

lurch
06-26-2007, 01:56 AM
Do you realize you just posted four posts in a row doing nothing but talking to yourself....

Can't you tell that no one likes you here....you talk yourself up like you are a legend...NEWSFLASH!!!!...YOU LIVE IN SC....THE SIZE OF HALF OF TEXAS'S PANHANDLE.....There are probably only about 15 racers in that whole state and you happen to be the one that managed to cross the finish line....

bahh....be gone with you

KTO Enterprises
06-26-2007, 09:52 AM
Its funny that there are a lot of people that think I have good advice. And I listen when I ask someones advice and they can give me reason why what they say is true.

Lol I just read your signature. What a weekend warrior hack.

gary6768
06-26-2007, 11:44 AM
KTO can't be all that bad, he is an Irishman.

lurch
06-26-2007, 11:46 AM
Weekend warrior?...sorry but you must be mistaken...i'm active duty...i just so happen to have gotten lucky and got stationed close to home after iraq....next time you wanna try talkin about something you don't know about just take it somewhere else...

and it seems to me like not many people actually like you...

KTO Enterprises
06-26-2007, 12:22 PM
KTO can't be all that bad, he is an Irishman.

Lol thats funny right there, I dont care who you are thats funny.

KTO Enterprises
06-26-2007, 12:26 PM
and it seems to me like not many people actually like you...

I never asked for you or anyone else to like me. I just try to give honest advise.