PDA

View Full Version : Belt keeps breaking

lookingforexmark
06-23-2007, 04:09 PM
I have a Gravely zero turn 19 HP Kawasaki endine with 44 inch cut. PM 144z I believe. I have put two new belts on. This is the belt that powers the deck and blower. Could the deck be too low, grass to wet for the blower and thus overheating belts? Any thoughts?

razor1
06-23-2007, 05:04 PM
How is the alignment and tensioners? How about the bearings?

lookingforexmark
06-23-2007, 06:44 PM
The tensioners were very tight after replacing the blade the previous time. Stretched almost to the max.

stevenf
06-23-2007, 06:45 PM
Must be a pulley or two that are going out which is causing restrictions on the belt.

gene gls
06-23-2007, 09:05 PM
I have a Gravely zero turn 19 HP Kawasaki endine with 44 inch cut. PM 144z I believe. I have put two new belts on. This is the belt that powers the deck and blower. Could the deck be too low, grass to wet for the blower and thus overheating belts? Any thoughts?

Are you using OEM belts or aftermarket. I tried aftermarket but always have better luck with OEM belts.

razor1
06-23-2007, 11:21 PM
The tensioners were very tight after replacing the blade the previous time. Stretched almost to the max.

I don't use Gravely, but that may not be normal. Make sure all your nuts and bolts are tight and nothing is bent. I've also had parts guys give me the wrong parts.

petez
06-24-2007, 03:38 AM

Back the tensioners off, they are to keep tension on the belt as they stretch, if you keep the belt extremelly tight it will snap, and tear up your bearings eventually.