PDA

View Full Version : What size dump trailer?

fiveoboy01
06-23-2007, 06:00 PM
I'm sick of hand-unloading dirt, sod, brush, etc. Time to buy a dump trailer.

I just don't know what size I should get. I know bigger is better, but these are more pricey than your averege flat-bed landsacape trailer.

I was looking at 6x10 or 7x12 sizes. Are these just too small?

carcrz
06-23-2007, 06:04 PM
I'd look for something in the 16 footer range or bigger if you can afford it. Just compare it to the size of the trailer you are currently using. You won't want to make more trips than you did before buying the trailer.

DBL
06-23-2007, 06:30 PM
14' will be fine with gvw of truck and trailer

mowingtowing
06-24-2007, 02:10 PM
I have a 14' with 6' sides, If i fill it to the top with mulch is it overloaded and if i put 4 yards of dirt in it its overloaded (technically). If you go much larger then 14' id say gooseneck is a must. Personally I find my 14' PJ (14k GVWR) to be a perfect match for my 99F350 dually diesel.
7x12 would probably be great for your truck

Dstosh
06-24-2007, 03:00 PM
7x12 Is the perfect size. The 14' is just too long.

Greybeard
06-24-2007, 09:59 PM
Our 7x12 Cross-Country dump works well with the F350 5.4. It's down-rated to 9990 lbs. GVW to beat the CDL regs, but it will carry more. Another decision is whether to get a low-bed with drop axles or the taller one with the body above the wheels. I'd recommend twin pistons, too, as sometimes loam or mulch sticks on one side, and the body can twist on a single piston.

WALKER LANDSCAPE
06-24-2007, 10:25 PM
We have one for sale 6X12 Bri Mar $2600.00. I have not had to get a chance to get pics but I will if interested.

ED'S LAWNCARE
06-25-2007, 08:32 AM
Are you going to use it to haul your mowing equipt too? If so get 14' or bigger, if not 7x12 is more than adequate I would think. I have a 7x12 and have not used it to it's full potential. Love that thing

mag360
06-25-2007, 12:33 PM
We have a 7x14 14,000gvw and it's a little rough on a single rear wheel truck. I'd lean toward the 7x12 or smaller unless you really need the extra capacity (or have a 1 ton or better truck).

mverick
06-25-2007, 12:37 PM
I use 80x14. Easier to balance a skid steer in then the shorter ones. If using a smaller truck put air bags on the truck and make sure and use good brake controller.

rfed32
06-25-2007, 05:38 PM
i think the 7x12 is a good size...the 5x10 can get small we have one for my demo bussiness and we ended up buildin 4ft sides and all and we still wish we would have went bigger

stroker51
06-26-2007, 11:41 PM
The only dump trailer I have had experience with is a 14' gooseneck. 4' sides, 14k rating. If I ever buy one, it'd be just like the one we had at the place i used to work. The gooseneck gives you a lot more room to load as far as weight on a single wheel truck without the truck getting squirly. I don't think i would put a 14' bumper pull behind my 250 Powerstroke, at least not loaded like we did the gooseneck. IMHO if you're hauling anything bigger than a small skid steer, a gooseneck really is the cat's meow anyway, I know when I have my equipment trailer built next spring it'll be a 20' 14K lowboy gooseneck, just better for hauling the weight.

mverick
06-27-2007, 02:48 PM
The only dump trailer I have had experience with is a 14' gooseneck. 4' sides, 14k rating. If I ever buy one, it'd be just like the one we had at the place i used to work. The gooseneck gives you a lot more room to load as far as weight on a single wheel truck without the truck getting squirly. I don't think i would put a 14' bumper pull behind my 250 Powerstroke, at least not loaded like we did the gooseneck. IMHO if you're hauling anything bigger than a small skid steer, a gooseneck really is the cat's meow anyway, I know when I have my equipment trailer built next spring it'll be a 20' 14K lowboy gooseneck, just better for hauling the weight.

You'd be fine.

I put a 14ft bumper hitch dump loaded to 14,000 behind a 1/2ton 97gmc with a 350 auto all the time. 350 pulls it well you need airbags and a Good brake controller. I've overloaded it to 23,000 and it pulled it fine on flat land. I wouldn't do that on hills. It hauls a takeuchi track cat all the time to. Unloading it the truck goes into the air but other then that it's fine.

I like and don't like goosenecks. They pull better and manuever better but you also loose your bed. I usually have a lot of equipment and shovels in the bed. So I don't want to loose that.

For me a gooseneck needs to be rated to 20,000 or I want a bumper pull.

Evan528
06-27-2007, 04:39 PM
Might want to check your dot laws where you are. Here in PA any trailer over 10,000 LBS GVW requires you to have a CDL. I have a 7x12 Dump trailer myself wich is 10,000 LBS to avoid the hassle of a CDL.

mverick
06-27-2007, 04:46 PM
Might want to check your dot laws where you are. Here in PA any trailer over 10,000 LBS GVW requires you to have a CDL. I have a 7x12 Dump trailer myself wich is 10,000 LBS to avoid the hassle of a CDL.

If I'm not mistaken, which I usually am on DOT stuff. If you're doing anything commercial and your a driver in IL you need a CDL. Commercial Drivers License. I know all our LCO's are supposed to have them. But only about 3% do.

TriCountyLawn
06-29-2007, 08:08 AM
Theres a few things to factor in.

1. DOT regs, I never got messed with till i started pullling a dump trailer. They know these trailers have high GVW and will nail ya on it. ( at least here)

2. 12ft is fine unless ya plan on haulin a skidder. Which in that case a 14ft is still a tight fit.

I had a 14' Liberty and pulled it with my K2500 and it was a workout for the truck when it was loaded. Now I have a 12' and dont miss the 14 a bit. Not that there is much of a difference other than we can really load down our 12ft without getting out of hand with our weight.

Oh and dont get a trailer that has flimsy fenders like 90% of them have. Trust me....lol

Oasis-Outdoor
06-29-2007, 11:20 AM
Fiveoboy,
I have a 14' Load Trail gooseneck dump trailer. IMO...the gooseneck trailers dont get as squirrely when you start to get heavy. I pull mine with a 3/4 ton truck( Ford 250 Super Duty). My dump system is electric over hydraulic. Mind you throw a trickle charger on the deep cycle battery occasionally. I have a feed wire on the wiring harness that is supposed to charge it from the truck, but it is insufficient. I bought a good little Schumaker computerized charger from Tractor Supply and top off the battery when I am going to be doing a lot of dumping in one day. As Mverick stated it is a good idea to beef up your suspension. Mverick what air bag set up do you have.....is it Firestone?

mverick
06-29-2007, 02:58 PM
Fiveoboy,
I have a 14' Load Trail gooseneck dump trailer. IMO...the gooseneck trailers dont get as squirrely when you start to get heavy. I pull mine with a 3/4 ton truck( Ford 250 Super Duty). My dump system is electric over hydraulic. Mind you throw a trickle charger on the deep cycle battery occasionally. I have a feed wire on the wiring harness that is supposed to charge it from the truck, but it is insufficient. I bought a good little Schumaker computerized charger from Tractor Supply and top off the battery when I am going to be doing a lot of dumping in one day. As Mverick stated it is a good idea to beef up your suspension. Mverick what air bag set up do you have.....is it Firestone?

I have both firestone and Airlift. Airlift is a better bag. But now I think Firestone has a new bag out. I even run them on my one tons.

When I hauled in the 1/2ton without the airbags the truck at 45mph would get squirely. I couldn't put enough weight on the tounge. With the airbags I throw more weight on the tounge and it is a dead straight ride. If you don't get enough weight on the tounge when you load it it get's squirrelly though. Pretty easy to figure out. And it's also why I like the 14ft. It has extra room. If I'm light in the front I throw more rock or equipment up there. I have the room to do that. A 10ft I don't. A 12ft was tight.

Mine has the feed wire to charge the battery. It doesn't work. You have to put a charger on if you're using it for landscaping and using it.

The goosenecks pull better but like I said. I use the bed for equipment too. So I don't want a gooseneck taking that room up.

I hauled 400 miles with the trailer loaded to 17,000lbs without airbags. That was white knuckle driving. It was up and down Missouri hills to Kansas. Steep hills. With the airbags it's not a problem. Flat land the 1/2 ton is fine. It's been hauling last 6 weeks 120miles a day towing a 14ft dump. Not loaded full all the time. But 6 ton 3 day's a week. For hills I like the one ton diesel.

I'm telling you. Airbags are a must on the trucks in my opinion. All mine have them. Adjustable is nice but not necessary. I have a small compressor in my trucks too. If I need to air it up. Just hook it up. I will put adjustable on the 1/2 ton. To basicly turn the bags on and off. The one tons rarely change the pressure. There always full.

Oasis-Outdoor
06-29-2007, 06:18 PM
mverick,
Yeah, I know what ya mean with taking up bed space with a gooseneck. I have a short bed at that! I will have to look into air bagging my suspension. My truck is a 2001 F-250, with the Triton V-10. I am going to spend a little money to improve it. Have you priced new trucks lately.....they are insane! Thats why I want to keep mine (paid off) and do some improvements on it. The V-10 is almost due for the high mile tune up ; spark plugs, coils, & fuel injection tune. I am also going to start running synthetic oil in it. Just can't see the $50 - $60,000 they want for a new comparable truck.

fiveoboy01
06-29-2007, 07:24 PM
Thanks for all the advice guys.

I'll probably go with a 12 or 14' but I think I'm going to wait until the spring. I'll go bumper mounted, I know that a gooseneck is way more stable but like mverick, I need the bed space. I'll probably go with some airbags too. Helper springs are an option, but I like being able to mostly deflate the bags when not needed to smooth the ride.

Question, how many dump cycles can you guys get out of the battery before it goes dead? I know the answer will vary with load and motor size, just curious. I'd definitely put a charger on it though.

mverick
06-30-2007, 08:59 AM
Thanks for all the advice guys.

I'll probably go with a 12 or 14' but I think I'm going to wait until the spring. I'll go bumper mounted, I know that a gooseneck is way more stable but like mverick, I need the bed space. I'll probably go with some airbags too. Helper springs are an option, but I like being able to mostly deflate the bags when not needed to smooth the ride.

Question, how many dump cycles can you guys get out of the battery before it goes dead? I know the answer will vary with load and motor size, just curious. I'd definitely put a charger on it though.

If you have it at full charge you can easily use it all day. I usually get at least 3 day's out of it. But throwing it on a charger at night is easy. So I do it.

Bags are great until you blow one. But I haven't ever blown one.