PDA

View Full Version : Starting Issues... Again

cranesrule
06-23-2007, 07:13 PM
I am copying this post from the Hustler forum in hopes of some help...

Still having starting issues on my 20/52 Honda Fastrak. Starting out this year I would occasionally get the CLICK or no noise at all when turning the key, usually only on hot starts. I went to mow today, turned the key three times, nothing. Then twice, two clicks. Then it fired right up. Stopped the mower to trim/blow, then went to start it again to put it away. I turned the key FIFTEEN times and got no click, noise, nothing. Then I turned the key one more time and it started right up. What is the deal? My dealer checked this last year with no results. Is this a known issue?

1MajorTom
06-23-2007, 08:31 PM
I moved this over to the mechanic forum where you may have a better response.

Restrorob
06-23-2007, 08:37 PM
I'm not familiar with the Hustler line but it sounds like either a bad solenoid or a starter relay if equipped.

khouse
06-23-2007, 09:32 PM
Clean both ends of your battery cables and switch plug. Next we can check voltages. Do you have a DC volt meter?

cranesrule
06-23-2007, 09:45 PM
Thank you for moving the post. That is actually where I had intended to put it. Khouse I do not have a voltmeter, but I have been needing to get one anyway so I will pick one up. Restrorob I am posting link to the Parts Manual for my mower which includes a wiring diagram,if it will help. I do not see a solenoid in the diagram, but I haven't actually looked on the mower to see if there is one. I have replaced them before on lots of tractors. It is the intermittent nature of the problem that is getting me. Sometimes it fires right off like nothing is wrong. And it always cranks strong when it does crank. Lots of Hustlers seem to be having this problem, according to the forum, but the "start assist kit" that Hustler has put out as a fix is supposedly not for my mower.

http://www.hustlerturfequipment.com/Manual/manuals%20pdfs/Parts%20Manuals/365262_0606.pdf

Bill Kapaun
06-23-2007, 11:17 PM
I Agree with KHOUSE about cleaning the battery cables first. That includes the ground ends too! PLUS where it hooks to the starter motor, and where the engine grounds to the frame. You might even find a loose connection.
The fact it clicks sometimes and not others makes me think cable connections.
IF you don't have a V meter, do you have a 12V test light. That can be nearly as useful and sometimes more convenient.
IF you do, jumper one lead to the starter solenoid terminal on the starter motor itself. That should be the single RED 16ga. wire. (NOT the terminal the battery cable attaches to) Clip the other lead to ground. When you turn the key, it should light. If it doesn't, the problem is NOT in the engine/starter motor.
IF it does light, but not click, the solenoid is bad.
I can't emphasize enough to make sure the cable terminals are cleaned first.

Capemay Eagle
06-24-2007, 11:16 AM
This may be way off, but I noticed with my fastrak, if the handles are not in the right postion(Out in the park postion)it will not start. I have had to adjust the handles a few times to get mine to start. Maybe it could be a safty switch of some kind????

cranesrule
06-24-2007, 11:39 AM
Capemay,

My handles are out all they way when starting. Moving or jiggling them has no effect. Of course, that doesn't eliminate an intermittent problem with the safety switch so I'll have to check that at some point.

cranesrule
06-25-2007, 01:52 PM
Here is what I tried today:

1)Removed and cleaned battery cables, both ends
2)Removed instrument panel and checked and cleaned all connections, including behind ignition switch
3)Blew out ignition switch with compressed air and cleaned key

Everything started fine after this. It also started fine when I pulled it out of the shed BEFORE I started working on it...

By the way, I could not find a solenoid on this machine anywhere. Where is it?

Bill Kapaun
06-25-2007, 02:04 PM
"By the way, I could not find a solenoid on this machine anywhere. Where is it?"
On the starter motor itself, according to the schematic.

cranesrule
06-25-2007, 04:51 PM
I haven't gone out to look at the machine again so I'm not sure... is the solenoid attached to the starter and is it removeable and replaceable? Or is it integrated into the starter itself?

Restrorob
06-25-2007, 06:12 PM
If you have a large wire and a small wire going to the starter the solenoid is mounted to the starter and can be replaced alone.

If you only have one large wire going to the starter the solenoid is mounted on the unit frame somewhere, Just trace the large wire until you find it.

I didn't down-load the manual due to my sorry azz dial-up. :cry:

cranesrule
06-25-2007, 07:42 PM
Thanks Restrorob. There is more than one wire, so that is why I didn't see the solenoid mounted anywhere. I'm going to try the mower for a while with what I have done so far to see if it worked. If the symptoms reoccur, I'll be back for more help!

cranesrule
07-19-2007, 12:24 AM
Just to update everyone, the starting problems have not reoccured once since making the fixes listed earlier in the thread. I really think the ignition switch may have been the issue. Thanks again Mickhippy!