PDA

View Full Version : Coal Tar over Acrylic?

TheDrivewayDoctor
06-24-2007, 01:52 AM
Got a question for you guys. This is something I have never run into before.

Over the last 4 days I have sealed about 35 driveways using water based coal tar. 2 of the driveways has been sprayed with Acrylic sealer by a spraying company 1-2 years ago. I apply mine by brush. Anyways, out of the 35 driveways only these two came out with brush streaks on them.

I only assumed it was because of the oil/gas spray residue on the driveway but couldnt confirm this theory. Today I had a spray guy approach me while doing a driveway and told me not to apply the water based coal tar over driveways he had sprayed in the past because it wont look good. I don't know if he was just trying to keep me away from his last year's clients or if he was being truthful.

Can anyone here confirm this or give me ideas why this happened and how to stop it from happening again?

Thanks folks!

TDD

TheDrivewayDoctor
06-27-2007, 11:17 PM
65 views and not one person ran into this problem before? *shocked*

EWS
06-28-2007, 08:31 AM
I think the reason there havent been any replys is because your post is misleading. Acrylic driveway sealer is still a water based sealer like coal tar. so I dont understand where you get oil/gas spray residue. If he applied oil based gilsonite with gas as a cutting agent than yes when you go over it with coal tar or AE it will look like ****. I dont want to keep repeating myself in the posts but gilsonite is not a sealer. gilsonite is supposed to be mixed in with hot asphalt as a hardening agent...

gypsyraised
07-08-2007, 01:59 PM
ok guys i know i,m going to get an earful this time but here goes....anytime a driveway has been sealed with an acrylic sealer you would be wise to not guarentee any sealer over the top,be it coal tar or asphalt emulsion,or what have you...i,m not saying you can do it but i would not guarentee any results...its the same as using the colorpave acrylic from sealmaster...once applied your stuck with it till it wears off...ok i,ll run for cover now take care

PaceSetter
07-21-2008, 06:01 PM
How do you know if Acrylic Sealer was used last if the owner of the driveway doesn't know? Does Acrylic sealer have a different appearance? Oil base covered with coal tar is not a problem, what happens when you cover Acrylic with coal tar? I'm partly colored blind I know black is black with oil being glossy shinny when applied & coal tar dull black.

shepoutside
07-22-2008, 06:10 PM
If it has been a few years, you should have no problem. I have done a few as new as a year old, but have not seen a problem. Keep us posted !