PDA

View Full Version : Walker not charging (sometimes)

hogfan
06-24-2007, 10:28 AM
Hey guys been lurking on this site for sometime now so thanks in advance for any help you can provide. We have a Walker (1999 year model) with a 25 h.p. Kolhler that randomly will not keep a charge in the battery and has to be boosted. It will work fine for days at a time and then suddenly will not keep a charge. Thanks in advance for any help.

lucforce
06-24-2007, 12:45 PM
I bet you have a problem with the ground strap on the voltage regulator, dirty/corroded battery connections, or both.

Check the black ground strap on the regulator (small silver box on plastic engine blower housing.

khouse
06-24-2007, 02:13 PM
Do a search on this site. We have went over that same problem time after time. You need a multimeter to check it. Good Luck.

LarryF
06-24-2007, 03:39 PM
Are you still on the original battery? Most would check the specific gravity of the battery's electrolyte before doing anything else. You didn't say you did, so I presume maybe you didn't, but as everyone knows, if one cell is low, it won't keep a charge. Or if it is 8 years old, don't fool around. Just buy a new battery.

hogfan
06-24-2007, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the suggestions I will check it out. It does have a new battery and I will search for the other threads.

ducky1
06-24-2007, 10:20 PM
I agree with lucforce about the ground strap on the regulator. Some walkers seem to have that problem once in a while.

johnp900
07-04-2007, 07:56 AM
One other thing we find on Kohler is that the magnets come loose from the flywheel. This will can cause a low AC output beacause the is no air gap between some of the magnets. This cannot be detected by testing the alternator or regulator. We will always pull the flywheel when we have these strange charging problems & visually check the magnets. Also, when the magnets are loose, we always replace the flywheel. I haven't found a good way to reglue the magnets. Maybe someone on the site has a good glue.