PDA

View Full Version : What is a normal watering cycle

Capemay Eagle
06-24-2007, 12:33 PM
I am just curious about how much is to much water. My yard is about 80% shaded and I am starting to get some moss, mushrooms and some possible red thread. I have approx 11 zones and I have had them all set for 20mins a zone, 5 says a week skipping Wednesday and Sunday. Is this two much or not enough. I did make a adjustment last night cutting down to 10mins in the shaded zones and a little more in the sunny zones. Any help appreciated.

Supper Grassy
06-24-2007, 12:58 PM
I water on ODD days of the month since my house# is ODD.
you may want to try the same

DiyDave
06-24-2007, 09:08 PM
What you need to shoot for is about an inch of water per week. You can find out how much you are applying by placing a shallow pan in the yard, and running the irrigation system. If you are on a sandy soil, like a lot of NJ, you may need more.:cry: :cry:

cpel2004
06-24-2007, 11:08 PM
The correct watering amount is property specific. Most turf needs at least an inch of water depending on the soil. However based upon your comments I think you are over watering your entire property. One to two days a week at 20 mins in the Sunny areas one day a week in the cool areas. Water early mornings. See how that works. Also raise your cutting height of your mower. A longer cutting height will encourage deeper healthier root system. It will also cool the soil from the heat.

cpel2004
06-24-2007, 11:09 PM
Let us know the outcome.

Capemay Eagle
06-25-2007, 02:38 PM
Let us know the outcome.
Thanks for the info. I am going to go out and reset the system in a bit. I do however cut the lawn at a high setting. I always have for that factor. I notice all my neighbors cut thier lawn very short, and they are all burned up already.