PDA

View Full Version : Bed and shrub crew

Gene $immons
06-24-2007, 03:55 PM
How many of you have a seperate crew that only takes care of bed and shrub work. No mowing - just weed pulling, trimming shrubs, and mulch, etc..

How does it work for you, and can you offer any sugestions on what works best for your bed and shrub crew, as far as crew size - realistic number of jobs that can be completed in one day with a three man crew, and what kind of equipment you send out with them.

thanks

AL Inc
06-24-2007, 04:47 PM
I have a two man crew that does my bed and shrub work. They do pretty much everything outside of the mowing work, weeding, pruning, mulching, and install work. And pretty much all of the odd jobs that come in.
Hands down one of the best decisions I've made in the 12 years I've owned my own business. I love it because I can react much faster to clients' requests. In the past, if they asked for things on short notice, I would be so jammed with mowing that I couldn't get to it. Now it is no problem. It is also nice because these two extra guys can help the mowing crew when they get behind because of rain or whatever.
As far as their production, I really can't help you there, my crews work varies every day. This year, I outfitted a new (to me) dump truck that is stocked with pretty much everything these guys need. All hand tools, two stick hedge trimmers, one hand held trimmer, wheelbarrows, mason tools, fertilizer, sawzall, cordless drill, etc, etc. It has worked out great for me.

Gene $immons
06-24-2007, 09:39 PM
I can react much faster to clients' requests. In the past, if they asked for things on short notice, I would be so jammed with mowing that I couldn't get to it. Now it is no problem. It is also nice because these two extra guys can help the mowing crew when they get behind because of rain or whatever.

This is exactly what I need, I was even wondering if the crew could operate out of a utility Van, or would they have too much debris to hall off.

Just last week, I sent one of my mowing crews to take care of the bed and shrubs at a grocery store we do, probably 9 island beds to maintain, all with shrubs etc.. It took the 4 of them 3.5 hours on that one job alone.

AL Inc
06-24-2007, 11:28 PM
I guess they could use the utility van...not sure how much debris they need to haul away, maybe have them bag it and dump it at the end of the day? That is definitely the one thing that has kept me from buying a box truck, it seems we are always taking away debris. But it would be nice to have all the tools on the truck, locked up and out of the weather.
Was that a good thing that the 4 men did the shrubs and beds in 3.5 hours?

Gene $immons
06-25-2007, 12:05 AM
I was not mad about the time it took them, but it got me thinking about how many jobs can get done in a day.

Some flowerbed jobs will take longer than others, like anything.

I like the idea of a van for this crew for security purposes. Plus, I could advertise nicely on the side of a van.

Maybe I could have some sort of rack on top of the van that the bags of debris could be placed, or maybe just get a little trailer.

AL Inc
06-25-2007, 03:13 PM
I definitely like the van idea, too, I think with the trailer, that might be a good solution for you. I think you will be happy running the "utility crew". It has made my life so much easier, I've actually been enjoying my business these last two years.:waving:

cldc2007
06-25-2007, 03:56 PM
...it does not bother you that the utility crew is going to the same property the maintenance crew went to in the same week...with gas and payroll, do you think the benefits outweigh the negatives....the reason I ask, is i have been thinking of starting one as well.....I have an extra truck and trailer that sits for three days a week....

Gene $immons
06-25-2007, 05:42 PM
...it does not bother you that the utility crew is going to the same property the maintenance crew went to in the same week...

The only problem, is that my mow crew simply does not have enough time to do the beds. Too many lawns to mow, and not enough daylight.

With the bed and shrub/utility crew, I will be able to market a whole new service that has nothing to do with mowing. And accept more one time jobs. I think it can boost sales, with minimal overhead.

cldc2007
06-25-2007, 05:45 PM
What would you pay a supervisor for that role in your area?

Supper Grassy
06-25-2007, 07:01 PM
I think the van will work. just maunt some racks or something on the walls like PVC pipe to hold tools, and find a trailer, nothing fancy