PDA

View Full Version : Remote Controlled Transformer - any info.???

trailboss
06-24-2007, 05:24 PM
I am working up a system for a client that would like the capability to turn on certain sections of the system by remote. He wants the ability to turn on just the path lights in the back leading to the guest house or turn off the lighting on patio #1 and just have lights on patio #2 and so on. I know that I can break this down into different transformers but they are going to be placed at different areas on the property. He likes the idea of being able to control everything from inside the house.
Any input and/or suggestions or product info. would be greatly appreciated.
We are currently using Vista on most of our instals.

Thanks Again!

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
06-24-2007, 10:55 PM
I have used Linear remote control transmitters and receivers several times with great success. They offer excellent medium range and multi-channel capabilities and are reasonably priced. http://www.linearcorp.com/

Have a great day.

trailboss
06-25-2007, 11:54 AM
James, Do you remember which one that you used?
Thanks, Steve

FThera
06-25-2007, 05:52 PM
Have you checked this one out?

www.ei-products.com

Frank

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
06-26-2007, 01:06 AM
Hi Steve. I have used the Delta3 line from Linear.

NightScenes
06-26-2007, 12:13 PM
You can also check the Nightscaping Dominator. It gives you 4 zones (I think) that you can control by remote.

TurfPro
06-26-2007, 06:12 PM
I'm looking into the same thing. Unfortunately the Dominator is supposed to only have a 40' range.... not enough for my application anyway. X-10 seems to be a little "finicky" from what I've read as well.

Pro-Scapes
06-26-2007, 06:49 PM
we eliminated the finiky x10 quirks by using phase couplers. Have not had a problem on a job yet that runs a phase coupler but we only have 4 out there now.

What I would probably do on a job like this is instead of run the whole system off 1 trans I would mount multiple transformers sized accordingly and then install a UPB system or something similar. You might also look to install some dimming controls along with this for the ultimate in system control. We are going to be looking at doing this on our next project that I just got the plans for this afternoon. System will be set for 95% until 12am... then system will go dimmed until dawn. The pool area will be dimmed when not in use. Just enough to see the beds around it then full on for night time use of the area

Eden Lights
06-26-2007, 11:54 PM
The EI product works as advertised, but small zoned transformers work great with an control system of choice. We setup controls for a arbor tonight that has a pool house, main house interface, and IR control for an outdoor theater scene under the arbor with remote.

trailboss
06-27-2007, 09:22 PM
What kind of range will most of these remotes work? Will they work through walls? On this particular job one of the transformers that needs to be controlled will be about 80' from the main house.
I appreciate all the input.:clapping:

trailboss
06-27-2007, 09:42 PM
When you instal the EI modules do you just mount them next to the transformer? It looks like the connections are open to the elements - have you had good success with this? I am curious if this were mounted somewhere out in the yard - maybe where the main line feeds into the zone line- could it be mounted in a transformer type box with an antenna extension? This may sound a little crazy, I'm just concerened about the life of the component.

Chris J
06-27-2007, 11:07 PM
I don't know exactly how far it will go, but I know it will certainly handle that. The signal travels through the electrical wiring of the home, but they do recommend installing the phase coupler.

High Performance Lighting
06-27-2007, 11:12 PM
When you instal the EI modules do you just mount them next to the transformer? It looks like the connections are open to the elements - have you had good success with this? I am curious if this were mounted somewhere out in the yard - maybe where the main line feeds into the zone line- could it be mounted in a transformer type box with an antenna extension? This may sound a little crazy, I'm just concerened about the life of the component.

Ei claims it's good up to 120' (open space) so assume less if you are going through a wall. I'd try it in the transformer first and see if it works from where you will be using the remote. If not I'd place it in a plastic weaterproof "Cantex" box above ground mounted in a concealed location, preferably on a wall behind some bushes or such, but between the transformer and the load. You didn't mention if the lights you want to control are within or further out than 80' from your desired remote control location.

Chris J
06-27-2007, 11:19 PM
Forget my post, I didn't read back far enough. I was referring to UPB.