PDA

View Full Version : Attatching plow to rider for snow plowing

green-pa
06-24-2007, 08:30 PM
Is it possible to attatch a little plow to a riding mower? I have a 30 in jd but it's a rear engine model. Could a front or rear engine rider do this? I can shuvel well in the winter but would like to use a tractor if it will save me much time and energy as well as being perhaps faster. My truck isn't designed for plowing. I've heard a few guys do this in winter and I'm just trying to get prepared. Or would it be better and faster to use a snow blower?

Sydenstricker Landscaping
06-24-2007, 09:56 PM
Your best bet would be to get a snowblower. If the snow gets real deep, you can still move it relatively easily and not run out of stacking room. I dont forsee a small lawn tractor being able to stack and move alot of snow.....JMO.

DuraCutter
06-24-2007, 11:21 PM
Is it possible to attatch a little plow to a riding mower? I have a 30 in jd but it's a rear engine model. Could a front or rear engine rider do this? I can shuvel well in the winter but would like to use a tractor if it will save me much time and energy as well as being perhaps faster. My truck isn't designed for plowing. I've heard a few guys do this in winter and I'm just trying to get prepared. Or would it be better and faster to use a snow blower?

Stiker is right. A blower is best. In fact, the Toro 3650 I believe is one of the finest of it's kind. Lightweight, strong and small enough. It'll work even in slushy snow. That and a shovel is a very capable pair. Blower first, then follow up with shovel. The blower is a paddle machine, so it loosens even walked on snow that is compacted and then the shovel clears her up real good. We use the toro all winter long and here in Canada it snows every 2 or 3 days for 6 months. :)

mcwlandscaping
06-24-2007, 11:26 PM
Is your truck 4*4?

green-pa
06-25-2007, 01:04 AM
Is your truck 4*4?

no it isn't.

green-pa
06-25-2007, 01:05 AM
What about using a atv with a plow for drives? Would this be more time effective than a blower?

banksl&s
06-25-2007, 02:02 AM
I have a 500cc arctic cat 4x4 atv with a 60" moose plow and it is great for driveways and big sidewalks. I plan on getting a snowblower to do small sidewalks.

green-pa
06-25-2007, 09:48 AM
I have a 500cc arctic cat 4x4 atv with a 60" moose plow and it is great for driveways and big sidewalks. I plan on getting a snowblower to do small sidewalks.

Really? Would any old atv do when it comes to plowing small drives or would I have to have a specific grade? I'm hoping to find a used one for under $1,000

banksl&s
06-25-2007, 01:50 PM
I would say buy the best you can afford as with anything else in this biz. A friend of mine who owns a big lco uses a Polaris 350 4X4 and it works good. I would say you can get by with any 4x4 atv as long as you keep it to a minimum of 350 cc's and it has a manual tranny or a automatic with low range. I did run into problems this last year with big drifts on my cat, the snow would push my off to the side I had already plowed. It took about twice as long but I got it done. I also use a warn winch for lifting the blade and it broke this last year. I am going to try the synthetic cable this year considering the winch is only a year old. Hope this helps.

DuraCutter
06-25-2007, 11:58 PM
no it isn't.

Hate to break it to you. Someone once told me a long time ago after I showed up with the wrong machine for the job... " Don't bring a child to do a mans job".

Either buy the right machine or wait and use a "shovel"...

An atv for driveways... :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

desii
06-26-2007, 12:34 AM
Here's a pic of the V-plow on my Lazer Z...you can do sidewalks about as fast as you can mow. I also added "bar" tires and wieghts to the back end as the plow is kind of front heavy. The V also keeps it centered nicely in heavier snows.

I wasn't completely happy with the portability, so after a couple of years, I bought the ATV and fly on sidewalks now and can drive from job to job without the need for trailering. I have since swapped out the straight blade and now have a V on the ATV, too.

If you need more info on this subject, may I suggest you check out plowsite.com There are many guys over there that are using ATV's to plow driveways.

By the way, if anyone would like to purchase the V-plow for the Lazer, just let me know.

MeadowsLawnCare
06-26-2007, 12:39 AM
My Dad uses a hydro wheelhorse with a 20hp ownen engine on it. It has a blade on it or a snowblower than can go on the front. It hooks up to a belt off the side of the engine and throws any snow it hits. He put weights on the tires and chains as well. Its one hell of a winter rig.