PDA

View Full Version : Help with new yard install

Mike33
06-24-2007, 09:40 PM
Here is a yard i hydroseed about a month ago + and i got great coverage over complete yard except this spot and another 1 about same size. They actually cut it twice and im not sure what is wrong. It has been pretty dry here and customer had to water like crazy. I looked close and the ground has a green look like mold or under a tree. I asked the homeowner if this was where they had the sprinkler and they said yes and didnt move it much. Could this be the problem? Yard was 14k sq' looking great except these 2 spots. I thru some hydroseed on it 3 days ago i was in area, but i think i will go back and rake off and re-do.
MIke

TurfProSTL
06-24-2007, 11:20 PM
Looks like the grass might have 'dampened off' due to pythium blight.....

Excessive moisture in these spots due to leaky sprinklers?

LawnJohn
06-24-2007, 11:38 PM
Looks like the grass might have 'dampened off' due to pythium blight.....

Excessive moisture in these spots due to leaky sprinklers?

...that or an excessive amount of thatch that should be removed.

Planet Landscaping
06-25-2007, 06:47 AM
Pythium Blight for sure.

Mike33
06-25-2007, 07:00 PM
Pythium Blight for sure.
Okey, what is this blight in common words, what causes it and how to correct it.
Mike

TurfProSTL
06-25-2007, 08:51 PM
Pythium blight, AKA damping off, cottony blight, grease spot is a fungus disease. It is most damaging in high heat and high humidity conditions. Poor air circulation and wet soils are additional catalysts for this disease. In my area (transition zone) perennial rye and new seedlings seem most susceptible.

You're problem was caused by saturated soils where the sprinklers were located and the timing of the seeding.

Spot seed those areas again, move the sprinklers around this time, and hope for the best.

Chemical controls are quite expensive.....

Mike33
06-25-2007, 09:37 PM
Thanks
Mike