PDA

View Full Version : Kohler 18hp Command Pro Single Cylinder

MOOSE
06-24-2007, 09:12 PM
Kohler 18hp Command Pro single cylinder with recoil start. Any pros & cons to this motor. Have a hydro walkbehind with a 14hp and wanna upgrade. It's the Kohler model 27524 heavy duty air filter system. I did notice some of the Bradley/Red Hawk mowers have the motor on them. I like it cuz it is recoil start and dont have to buy extra parts to make a electric start work on my mower.

Jay Ray
06-24-2007, 09:48 PM
I think Toro puts this on their most basic commercial Z 48" also, but without the heavy duty air filter.

A twin is easier on the operator of a rider, but on wb's there is little difference in my opinion -- as far as the shake factor.

If it came 14hp stock, 18hp ought to be hog heaven. Your idea makes a lot of sense to me, but I don't have any experience with operating that motor.

ed2hess
06-24-2007, 09:57 PM
Last year I put the 18hp on a 36" mower and I finally took the darn thing back off because it was too hard to pull start. I never cut a blade with it just sit in my garage to see if when it broke in it would start easier. Took it back to dealer he worked on it....brought it back and still started hard so I traded even for a 15hp. We start our units in closed trailer and they are hydro so it is tight to pull the ropes.