PDA

View Full Version : Plans for 3 axle skidsteer trailer

grant087
06-24-2007, 10:11 PM
anyone know a good place to get plans to build a 16 foot 3 axle skidsteer trailer?

SiteSolutions
06-24-2007, 11:29 PM
Why three axles? All else being equal, I think I would prefer two heavier axles vs. three lighter ones. Three axles are very resistant to being turned tight; wears out your tires faster and makes it hard to turn around or back in tight places. 2 x 7,000# axles or 2 x 10,000# axles should be plenty to haul just about any skid steer with extra attachments.

grant087
06-25-2007, 05:31 PM
Why three axles? All else being equal, I think I would prefer two heavier axles vs. three lighter ones. Three axles are very resistant to being turned tight; wears out your tires faster and makes it hard to turn around or back in tight places. 2 x 7,000# axles or 2 x 10,000# axles should be plenty to haul just about any skid steer with extra attachments.

im looking to use the trailer for multipurpose and plan on boxing up the sides for fall and spring cleanups, as well as using to transport a bobcat i have access too and renting it out when not in use for use as a "rubber wheeled dumpster" and all of the traillers like this that i see in my area are all 3 axles and the skidsteer trailers have only 2 axles this is why im leaning towards 3 over 2

lawnmaniac883
06-25-2007, 08:21 PM
I would go with two axles unless you are already dead set on three. Much easier to turn them and they dont chew up tires as quickly. You can easily haul a skid steer and use it as a dumpster or whatever else with two heavy axles and heavy tires to match.

grant087
06-26-2007, 08:29 PM
where would be a good place to get trailer plans at?

gammon landscaping
06-27-2007, 12:48 AM
you will regret the three axles, unless you like relacing the rear axel every time you get in tight spot

grant087
06-27-2007, 03:30 PM
you will regret the three axles, unless you like relacing the rear axel every time you get in tight spot

my question then is why are most of the companies in my are going with 3 axle trailers then, im leaning towards 2 axles but I just figure there must be a reason for this?

SiteSolutions
06-27-2007, 10:27 PM
my question then is why are most of the companies in my are going with 3 axle trailers then, im leaning towards 2 axles but I just figure there must be a reason for this?

I would guess they want more capacity for cheap; maybe 3 5400# axles will give them a 16,000# gross weight for cheaper than 2 7000# or 10,000# axles. I wouldn't do it tho, you will spend whatever you save on tires and maybe axle bearing repair. Imagine how a skid steer uses up tires when it turns, then try to imagine a skid steer with 6 tires!?!?! It just wouldn't turn worth a damn.

Another possibility is that they want a trailer that sits low, with drop axles, like I have seen some small car-hauler trailers with 3 axles. The bottom two cars sit low to the ground, in between the trailer wheels. Can't do that with 10,000# axles cause they're dualies, and 3 5400# axles gives slightly more capacity than 2 7000#... So maybe having a low-rider trailer is more important than a good-turning trailer in some cases.

gammon landscaping
06-29-2007, 12:08 AM
probabbly cause they don't think about it and just look at price and weight rating. just like people who haul 10,000+ with bumper pulls when a goosneck is a better choice by far

grant087
07-01-2007, 06:48 PM
ive have decided on two axles because of like you guys said in the long run its gonna cost me more and when i go to the dump to unload debris its just another two tires to get a flat on

the total inside area of the trailer to fill is gonna be 20yds and I imagine the trailer will weigh around 3k

alright then with that said would two 7k axles be enough or should i lean to the 10k axles because i can get the 7k's for less than half but i also want to make sure the trailer is durable enough?

and is there a good set of blueprints/plans any one sells to construct a trailer?

thanks,
Grant