PDA

View Full Version : Polaris Ranger or something similar.

Zaro T Man
06-24-2007, 11:17 PM
I am considering the purchase of a Polaris Ranger. From my research it would seem to be the best choice for me. With all of the attachments and tools you can attach to it.

I have the chance at a couple of NICE jobs that would take place in LARGE parking lots. It will be a combo of Mowing, mulching and weed and feed. Just my thinking it would be better to have something like this to move around to the islands with the mulch in the back than to try and navigate around the cars with my truck? What do you folks think? I can get into one for around $14K with power dump, tool racks and the sprayer tank. Both parking lots are side by side and attached. This will also be a time and back saver on most landscape installs.

Thanks.

Focal Point Landscapes
06-26-2007, 12:18 AM
Seems to me a lot of capital spend for marginal improvement in efficiency.

waltero
06-26-2007, 10:54 AM
I would look into getting a used Tractor. With the loader, 3 PH and a backhoe, there are alot of jobs that you can do. I would guess that you could find one for under 20K that will have all of that and it will make you more money and save you from more work.

I have a Kubota L3130 that I was thinking about selling but it is so useful I want to try my best to keep it. I just purchased a larger machine but the Kubota still has many uses.

You can also buy attachments for tractors much cheaper then for skids and such. It doesn't match the power of a skid steer but for many landscape jobs it is all you will need. Anything that you would need to do, this machine could help you do it faster and easier. I wouldn't even consider getting the polaris ranger, it is a nice machine but more of a homeowners toy then a tool that can be used on jobsites.

I don't know how much experience you have with tractors but I would talk to some people, rent one for a day and go look at some and compare prices. Good Luck!

Mike Fronczak
06-26-2007, 03:27 PM
Can you do the job at night or on a weekend, will the cars still be a problem with truck? Thats a lot of money for a very small convinence, you still will have to load it unload etc., sounds like a pain to me. I have seen other contractors do jobs with three guys & it still takes them longer than it would for me to do it by myself (they dump the mulch in a pile then shovel into wheel barrel from that then walk all the way across lot to dump, I just take my pile to the bed in the dump trailer & shovel it out (we're talking parking lot islands, driving on lot, not a lawn)). If your buying it because you want it that's fine, I just wouldn't buy it "just" for this job.

mslawn
06-26-2007, 04:56 PM
I have one and love it, makes life much easier! mine was 8995. plus tax and title, 500 fuel injected 4x4

Lawnworks
06-26-2007, 07:45 PM
If it is not used nearly everyday... I couldn't justify it. To me its all about the bottom line... not the equipment. I would get the mulch dumped in different places, and just use the hose on a spray truck.

forestfireguy
06-26-2007, 08:52 PM
I know a guy with a 2 year old toolcat for sale cheap. It's a nice unit under a thousand hours with the dumping body and a bucket and angle plow for the front.

mowerdave
06-27-2007, 09:54 PM
Sure the Ranger would be nice. My dad has one and he uses it for every job that you can think of, but I just bought a 2305 John Deere Tractor with a bucket loader and I think that is is way more useful. It is amazing how much more I can do with this than our Gator.

Zaro T Man
06-28-2007, 12:47 AM
Thanks for all the replies folks. I went and checked out the Ranger today. I will get one someday. After really crunching the numbers on these jobs. I will be MUCH better off just using the money from the jobs to buy a smaller skid steer. It is still smaller than parking a big truck all over the place. I can move more mulch at one shot without having to shovel it into that bed.

I am looking at the Gehl 4840 I think that is the number. New it prices out at $22K which is only just few grand more than the Ranger. I believe I can make MUCH more profit with the Skid than the Ranger just now.