PDA

View Full Version : How tall can this block go?

Dirty Water
06-25-2007, 10:07 AM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=191822

I have a bad feeling about that wall.

carcrz
06-25-2007, 10:12 AM
I think the specs say they can go in 4 foot increments.

turfquip
06-25-2007, 05:35 PM
That block is known as Ault Wall OS meaning "Over Size"

The max height is 4' and the manufacturer states clearly that it is NOT suitable as an 'engineered' SRW.

cgland
06-25-2007, 05:55 PM
Not with that kind of toe slope and lack of drainage.

Chris

lifetree
06-25-2007, 06:02 PM
I would be concerned, too !!

Mike33
06-25-2007, 06:03 PM
I think the setback is a little close too.
Mike

turfquip
06-25-2007, 09:45 PM
For legal purposes, I wish to restate my earlier comments to read,

That block "appears" to be AultWall OS. I can't tell for sure. Also, that I, turfquip am in no way endorsing or failing to endorse that block for the particular wall in question. Its suitability is not for me to determine since I am not on site to more closely evaluate conditions. I aplogize for any confusion my earlier comments could cause and reemphasize that we wish all parties involved with it's construction and ownership a safe and long lasting installation.

Thank you

:usflag:

ChampionLS
06-26-2007, 09:57 AM
That guy is a knucklehead. He is so sure of himself. I hope they get a 100 year flood and hurricane and that wall washes out.

Fordsuvparts
06-26-2007, 01:19 PM
Wow this wall breaks so many rules of proper installation, to say that you don't need geogird and that there is enough setback proves to everyone that you are in way over your head. The hell with using proper backfill that doesn't matter either right skag. I bet the home owner is glad you posted those pictures so that when it fails and they sue they will have an easy case.
I think you guys were just being cheap and pocketed the money that should have been used to buy geogrid and proper backfill. I hope it goes to help pay for your college.

waltero
06-26-2007, 02:35 PM
Hey ChampionLS,

Did anyone call you a knucklehead when you posted these pictures? You also sound pretty sure of yourself and even after getting beat about the head and neck over the overdig stabilization, I don't think that you understood the whole concept because you argued to the end.

There is constructive criticism and then there is what you have to offer. In the other post people where trying to inform you about the overdig stabilization and ways to both fix and prevent the problems that you had. they were there trying to help you out, are you being very helpful in this post?

I am just glad that you are perfect and free of mistakes, makes life easier to go around putting everyone else down. But wait, your are not free of mistakes as we can see, are you?

That guy is a knucklehead. He is so sure of himself. I hope they get a 100 year flood and hurricane and that wall washes out.

sildoc
06-26-2007, 03:01 PM

Why would any one wish someone bad luck and dismay?

McKeeLand
06-26-2007, 07:04 PM
I just hope when the wall fails those local contractors who do it that way all of the time help rebuild it. they may only get 10" of rain a year, but i bet it dumps when it does come. Not to mention, i don't know of a 6" wall block that is rated for 4' with out geogrid. in fact i can't think of a 8" block that i would build 4' without grid. but at least they are using a nice big compactor though. :laugh:

GreenMonster
06-26-2007, 07:37 PM
Why would any one wish someone bad luck and dismay?

Makes you wonder doesn't it.

I hope for everyone's sake that it doesn't fail. But, there are sooooo many basic rules being broken, it seems a strong likelihood.

I have walls that I first built 5 years ago that I still worry about once in a while. I'd never sleep being responsible for that thing.

mrusk
06-26-2007, 09:58 PM
The only thing i like in those pictures is the view!!!

hoskm01
06-28-2007, 01:19 AM

A hurricane in WA, that would be cool!

ChampionLS
06-29-2007, 12:16 AM
I said what I said because there is the right way to go about planning for structure, whether it's a house, garage, or a retaining wall. There are thousands of building codes and engineered drawings of every type imaginable, and they are all there for your safety.

Is it FAIR to the mislead homeowner that some contractor puts his "faith" in building such a big project without prior planning? He left out some simple steps- Geogrid and drainage aggregate. Probably $1,000 worth of material, that can cause Hundreds of Thousands of dollars worth of damage, and/or possible loss of life (depending on what long term goals the homeowner has for their property) should his "faith" fail due to some heavy rain fall.