PDA

View Full Version : 22hp Kohler running rough-need help

Mowingman
08-25-2001, 10:59 PM
I have a 22hp Kohler Command on a 60" ztr that me and 2 repair shops can't get to run right. It has 550hrs on it, but the problem started at about 425 hrs.
At full throttle with no load (not mowing) you can ocassionly hear and feel a very slight roughness in the engine and it will miss a beat now and then. At full throttle while mowing in heavy grass, the roughness is more frequent and it will miss a beat, then pick back up. When it does this under load you get a loud "pop", almost like a backfire. So far the following has been done with no success.
Changed plugs; cleaned out entire fuel system; replaced fuel filters; replaced stock fuel pump with an electric pump from Kohler.None of this has made any improvement. Can anyone help me get this thing running right again?:confused:

thelawnguy
08-25-2001, 11:21 PM
Drop the float bowl and clean out the main jet.

mowerconsultant
08-25-2001, 11:34 PM
intake gaskets............

Eric ELM
08-26-2001, 12:06 AM
Intake usually makes it idle rough PJ. I had that problem at about 2,000 hours on mine. You might have a bad coil.

ERIC ROBERGE
08-26-2001, 03:48 AM
On anything electrical always check connecter and ground integrity. Sometimes you can`t see a problem, but just unplugging and plugging a connector back togehter can solve a problem.
If your connectors are not weatherpack connectors than it would be a good idea to put a little bit of dielectric grease in all the connectors to keep the pins from oxidizing and/or rusting.

John DiMartino
08-26-2001, 05:53 AM
Spounds like ignition breakup,clean the float bowl first,then Id suspect a bad coil.

TJLC
08-26-2001, 06:33 AM
My 18 kolher was doing that. They replaced the secondary coil and the smart box. (no charge) The engine was cutting out only when it got hot. I just picked it up yesterday so I have not tried it yet. I will today, hopefully this fixed the problem. At first they thought it was water in the fuel. We will see. There is nothing more frustrating then repeated trips to the dealer.

Dave
08-26-2001, 07:28 AM
chk the connection where it goes to the regulator ,then i would probbally look at the coils

Mowingman
09-11-2001, 09:41 PM
Update on Kohler Problem,
I took a printout of everyones suggestions to the dealer and we went over all of them. We finally decided to replace both coils. Got machine back last Fri., and it runs great. One or both of the coils was bad. Thanks everyone for the help.
PS: Dealer ate the labor and I paid for the parts, so cost wasn't too bad.:D

Eric ELM
09-11-2001, 10:23 PM
Glad we could help you. :)

Enjoy that 22 Kohler. I hope it is as good as mine has been. Mine will have over 3,700 by the end of the month and it actually sounds as good now as it did when it was new. ;)

edward hedrick
09-23-2001, 08:41 PM
had the same problem last year replaced coils. I added an Enginaire precleaner this year and a larger Kohler muffler
seems to have more power.