PDA

View Full Version : Ain't New and Ain't Purty But It's New to Me

wooley99
06-26-2007, 12:38 AM
Last week I asked for opinions and thanks to all who offered theirs! As of today no shrubs are safe until I figure out how to mow a straight line or an intended curve with this thing. For the first time I'm happy that two of my neighbors don't ever mow and will get done for free this week as I ride the learning curve. Also luckily 4 other neighbors are mechanics and one spent 10 years fixing equipment in a lawn mower shop. Most of my mechanical bills are paid in parts plus pull tabs.

The 1997 Toro Proline 32" and ugly green, too small trailer were a package deal. For $1500 I get to mow, the former owner gets a place to put his boat and someday soon I'll see if the trimmer hanging on the rack inside really runs. It's not the biggest mower I could get onto my customers' front lawns but it is the biggest I can get into their back yards and through the majority of potential clients' gates. Privacy fences rule here and the single, nominal 48" gate that is usually the only access only opens to 48" if the turf hasn't overgrown the swing or some jacka$$ hasn't put his lawn pump or other crap where the gate should swing.

I have also solved the low-wage assistant problem and now only have to have an adequate supply of Popsicles and juicy boxes on hand.

Thanks!

HOOLIE
06-26-2007, 01:52 AM
Wow I used to think "As soon as my kids are tall enough to see over the handlebars...." NOW I see, its as soon as they can peer around the gas tank :laugh:

Junior appears to be having second thoughts, in that second pic :laugh:

Grits
06-26-2007, 02:01 AM
That's awesome Tom!!! You got the mower and trailer for $1500? Good deal. I got your message, but I thought it was to late to call you back. You will have to come over and bring your new toy! I'll call you tomorrow after I get back from taking the wife to have Lasik done. It should be in the mid-afternoon. I want to try out the T-bar. I've never been on one before.that
BTW, that trailer needs your logo on it. I go to church with the guy that did mine and he is good and cheap. He does it on the side. We'll discuss all that later though. Man, I'm really excited for you. I'll call you tomorrow!

wooley99
06-26-2007, 09:43 AM
Just before the second photo was taken my grandson found out the trailer doesn't have a ramp door and he'd have to load the mower with some cheesy wooden ramps.

KTO Enterprises
06-26-2007, 10:16 AM
I can see using ramps to get it in to that trailer. We thought you were talking about getting it into a truck. You bought a trailer and got a mower for free.

wooley99
06-26-2007, 10:54 AM
Greenpa wants to use ramps to get a Scag into his truck. I just finished reading Grits' and Hoolie's conversation in the ramp thread and couldn't resist. Even though the ramps work ok on this little trailer I'm going to add a folding ramp attached inside the door. The Redneck design team is still working on the plan though. Photos will follow when finished.

Grits
06-26-2007, 12:46 PM
Just before the second photo was taken my grandson found out the trailer doesn't have a ramp door and he'd have to load the mower with some cheesy wooden ramps.

When you bring that trailer over we will try to figure out a gate for it. I have a welder, we could fabricate something. Or at least try!
No cheesy ramps!!!:laugh:

martinfan06
06-26-2007, 01:35 PM
Nice mower youll learn to love the T-bar it is diff when you 1st get on 1, but simple when you get it down. Hey mine looked exactly the same when I bought mine wash job and a good spary paint job looks brand new now. Just mask off everything you dont need red on and get the toro red for your dealer and youll be surprised. Good luck with the new mower.

Supper Grassy
06-26-2007, 01:50 PM
Nice mower, that trailer will keep it safe.

wooley99
06-26-2007, 01:56 PM
I just finished the test/training run on the Toro. The two lawns are 1/2 acre each, are irrigated and seriously haven't been mowed in over 6 weeks. The Toro mows and I suck. I still finished them in under an hour. No trimming and I used the mower to blow off the drives, just wacking down the weeds, grass and Bahia seed heads. My 180 degree turns round out at about 210 degrees and I won't be posting any pics of my striping abilities anytime soon. But when I tested it on the seller's yard I looked like the dude failing a sobriety check point on an episode of cops.

I learned a few things you all probably already knew: Lifting the front to horse the thing around a tight turn is a little like work. You shouldn't leave the knuckles on one hand between the T-bar and the handle if you are going to squeeze the crap out of the other side of the T-bar with the other hand. Maybe next time I'll wear a boxing glove on that hand. It's easier than walking and harder but faster than riding. Knees work as a suspension on rough terrain.

There were only a few things wrong with the machine:
1. It wasn't until I was nearly done that I located the source of the god-awful squealing as a loose jam-nut on a drive pulley. Drive pulleys get hot BTW.
2. I should have got the Bahia deck and the stripping kit. (does the stripping kit come with strippers? If it's a DIY deal it will probably have a negative impact on my already small client base).
3. It doesn't have enough cupholders.

Have fun!

GreenT
06-26-2007, 04:01 PM
3. It doesn't have enough cupholders.

That would have been a deal breaker for me!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Congrats!