PDA

View Full Version : Light Abatement Techniques

Mike M
06-26-2007, 08:04 AM
Light pollution abatement techniques is not something that I could just easily post here. Every situation is different, and lends itself to different approaches.

While speaking with an architectural reviewer for a planned community, I was asked for business cards because they liked my ideas (which are just common methods used by us all) in regards to glare issues, selective wattage of bulbs, etc.

More importantly than my own techniques, I would like to provide my own community as well as others in the area, with technical info and better ideas for street lamps. HID lights are scattered haphazardly, and not aimed at the ground. Is there a replacement light fixture I can recommend? Not a single homeowner here likes these blinding, idiotic lights. Why aren't they made to aim at the ground, like they did when I was young? The only benefit to the lights is that they look pretty during the day, when they are turned off.

My wife was serious about shooting them out, but I'm 42 and starting to mature a little.

Mike M.

David Gretzmier
06-26-2007, 09:08 AM
the City of Fayetteville here is doing a 10 year plan to replace all lights on city electricity with down facing LED clusters. love or hate them, they do go in one direction pointed well. the ideas is to show more stars at night. we've had a city ordinance for about 5 years now, and all commercial uplighting jobs are subject to inspection and rejection by code enforcement. they now are putting their money where their mouth is.

NiteTymeIlluminations
06-26-2007, 09:28 AM
wow...okay first show us what they have now...and a plan...its hard to spec a fixture when we have no idea what the site looks like...

secondly I must commend your town DavidG...

I work out of the country alot and I am faced with surging fuel costs everyday...on this forum I find alot of guys who just have no concern for the environment when it comes to designing a job...or the dark sky...Our fuel and electric doesn't cost crap here when comparing it to place that I work...I have worked on resorts where their electric cost over a quarter million dollars a month!!! Try specifying that job. We cater to people with too much money and no concern for anyone or anything else...some of us think we are saving the environment by using low voltage lights...but nobody will explain to me why this is benficial...yes I am a low volt distributor...shame on me..just kidding...there are advantages yes...but its not the answer to everything...aiming, shielding, using low volt sometimes, using hid sometimes...all this talk about splices is funny to me too...The places that I spec lighting everything is in conduit...whether its low volt or not...think lowvolt loses some advantage there? everything is run in conduit, buring to a specified depth, wiring is done in junctions...Want to learn how to do lighting??? I'll have a Jamaican smoking a joint and digging with a machete teach you how to wire a low volt system up properly...wow what a rant and rave...How many people use low volt because its easy compared to line voltage? How many people can tell me how efficient there transformers are? How many people can telme what they pay per KW? or KWH? And what their LV system cots every night to run?

Kudos to AR and DavidG...and MikeM for wanting to learn all this stuff...

klkanders
06-26-2007, 09:40 AM
Doug, So just what are you trying to say? Who was smokin you or the Jamaican? Take a deep breath. Just kidding you did have some good points.

NiteTymeIlluminations
06-26-2007, 09:49 AM
you dont need to smoke in construction sites in jamaica...talk about contact buzz...tile layers are the craziest...but wow they do good work under the influence

High Performance Lighting
06-26-2007, 09:31 PM
I work out of the country alot and I am faced with surging fuel costs everyday...on this forum I find alot of guys who just have no concern for the environment when it comes to designing a job...or the dark sky... How are you able to decipher this through your computer screen?Our fuel and electric doesn't cost crap here when comparing it to place that I work...I have worked on resorts where their electric cost over a quarter million dollars a month!!! Try specifying that job. We cater to people with too much money and no concern for anyone or anything else This is a pretty unprofessional attitude to have regarding your clients who are paying your bills. If they really bother you that much why don't you turn the work over to Billy? I'm sure he wouldn't turn it down....some of us think we are saving the environment by using low voltage lights...but nobody will explain to me why this is benficial How about safety, lower cost of operation...yes I am a low volt distributor...shame on me..How do you sell products that you don't believe in?just kidding...there are advantages yes...but its not the answer to everything...aiming, shielding, using low volt sometimes, using hid sometimes...All of this negativity regarding the industry that you belong to is very disconcertingall this talk about splices is funny to me too...The places that I spec lighting everything is in conduit...whether its low volt or not...think lowvolt loses some advantage there? everything is run in conduit, buring to a specified depth, wiring is done in junctions...Want to learn how to do lighting??? I'll have a Jamaican smoking a joint and digging with a machete teach you how to wire a low volt system up properly...yes! you have a point there. Historically Jamaica has been known as being the mecca of low voltage outdoor lighting. In fact isn't Jamaica the country where the technology originated from?wow what a rant and rave...How many people use low volt because its easy compared to line voltage? How many people can tell me how efficient there transformers are? How many people can telme what they pay per KW? or KWH? And what their LV system cots every night to run? Most people who can afford a quality system , myself included, don't care. Whatever it is they are willing to pay for it because it increases not only their quality of life, improves the value and useability of their property but also enhances the feeling of safety and security for their families. That my friend you cannot place a price tag on. I hope you feel differently about your post once you've sobered up a bit.

Pro-Scapes
06-26-2007, 11:21 PM
you dont want it I will take it and happily give you your refferal fee. I agree with Mike on alot of these points. I have had 1... count it 1 client ask me what this will cost to run each night and that was mearly out of curiosity. I seriously doubt he notices his 48 lights at 20w running with his 7 AC units cranking away to keep his family happy. I can tell you a kwh here is about 9.5 cents depending if you have Dixie EPA or MS power. My power bill runs on average 160 a month. 1 ac unit... 20 lights at 20w or less out front running 4 hours a night..ect... If someone is serious about how things look and the usability of thier prop they wont care about a few bucks. That resort your doing will look all the better when our done.

Maybe Im a bit off on here... long day and muscle relaxers are kicking in.

06-27-2007, 01:25 AM
I work out of the country alot and I am faced with surging fuel costs everyday...on this forum I find alot of guys who just have no concern for the environment when it comes to designing a job...or the dark sky... How are you able to decipher this through your computer screen?Our fuel and electric doesn't cost crap here when comparing it to place that I work...I have worked on resorts where their electric cost over a quarter million dollars a month!!! Try specifying that job. We cater to people with too much money and no concern for anyone or anything else This is a pretty unprofessional attitude to have regarding your clients who are paying your bills. If they really bother you that much why don't you turn the work over to Billy? I'm sure he wouldn't turn it down....some of us think we are saving the environment by using low voltage lights...but nobody will explain to me why this is benficial How about safety, lower cost of operation...yes I am a low volt distributor...shame on me..How do you sell products that you don't believe in?just kidding...there are advantages yes...but its not the answer to everything...aiming, shielding, using low volt sometimes, using hid sometimes...All of this negativity regarding the industry that you belong to is very disconcertingall this talk about splices is funny to me too...The places that I spec lighting everything is in conduit...whether its low volt or not...think lowvolt loses some advantage there? everything is run in conduit, buring to a specified depth, wiring is done in junctions...Want to learn how to do lighting??? I'll have a Jamaican smoking a joint and digging with a machete teach you how to wire a low volt system up properly...yes! you have a point there. Historically Jamaica has been known as being the mecca of low voltage outdoor lighting. In fact isn't Jamaica the country where the technology originated from?wow what a rant and rave...How many people use low volt because its easy compared to line voltage? How many people can tell me how efficient there transformers are? How many people can telme what they pay per KW? or KWH? And what their LV system cots every night to run? Most people who can afford a quality system , myself included, don't care. Whatever it is they are willing to pay for it because it increases not only their quality of life, improves the value and useability of their property but also enhances the feeling of safety and security for their families. That my friend you cannot place a price tag on. I hope you feel differently about your post once you've sobered up a bit.

Here's my contribution to Light Polution (see photo). I'd like to take the opportunity to thank my friend and mentor Eddie Clemons for raising the level of the landscape lighting industry. The posting of his quality projects both showcasing his excellent design/install skills and photograhic talent is and inspiration to us all to reach higher levels in this wonderful industry of landscape illumination. This one is dedicated to you Eddie. God Bless us all. :usflag:

NiteTymeIlluminations
06-27-2007, 07:25 AM
I admitted i was ranting and raving...jeez lighten up...I love this country i just wish people, not us, consumers were a little more concious of how we waste alot of energy in this country...the comment about not caring is the reason consume so much more energy than we need...driving a hummer alone to get a loaf of bread doesnt make sense to me when you have a honda prelude sitting next to it...again...I was just ranting and raving...chill out...

Pro-Scapes
06-27-2007, 08:02 AM
doug... i like you... i really do but someone driving thier 8mpg hummer vs thier 30mpg honda is a poor comparison to the dollar it costs to run a lighting system for the night. I agree that our fuel consuption has gone way out of hand and we have surrounded ourselves with energy eating devices that we could prolly do without.

We could go back to heating hot water over a wood fire for our baths and save the energy of a hot water heater. Is it going to happen ? yeah right...I see soccer moms driving hybrid mini cars first.

Lets face it. If someone wants lighting they are going to get it... either line voltage or low voltage.. Its our resposibility to build the most effecient systems we can to minimize the energy usage.

NiteTymeIlluminations
06-27-2007, 08:27 AM
now that makes sense billy...you are right building a efficient and effective system should be in all of our heads...I think some people do anything they can to use low voltage sometimes when it just doesnt make sense...we do it because we know low volt we dont have to use conduit, etc...I never considered myself a greenie...but my eyes have been opened...We are doing work with 5 watt or 7 wass fluors and 12 watt LEDs and some really cool stuff...cutting consumption big time...I think in the states the first person in every market that can sell efficient, effective, energy conscious, dark sky approved lighting will be the winner is 5 years...I don't think marketing yourself as a greenie that installs beautiful lighting that is environmentally friendly is a bad idea...I think learning as many lighting techiques, low volt, line volt, hid, led, etc...and using them all is a great idea...thats all i got...sorry for the rant earlier...just typing fast and i think a few of you guys think i am talking about you...I am not...I dont know how most of you do work...I'm just sharing ideas...dont take things so personal...I am not targeting anyone, just typing

Mike M
06-27-2007, 02:35 PM
While updating my new name at the township building today, I noticed a bunch of town officials and developer people hanging out for a paver manufacturer to give a presentation (complete with firetruck soaking materials outside). The manufacturer was showing how his product was permeable and hence better for keeping stuff out of our beautiful pristine rivers (a big issue here lately).

I immediately thought of the advantages of doing a presentation or having literature on dark sky stuff.

Mike

David Gretzmier
06-27-2007, 05:27 PM
hmm... this thread started out as light abatement ( ugly streetlights cause lighter skies, less stars at night) , and has moved on to efficiency to a degree.

I will say that many of us contribute to less dark/less stars whether we want to or not.

any deciduous tree we uplight is going to cause light pollution in the winter when it loses it's leaves, period. I've thrown more than a few 35 watt 60 degree floods on trees, and sure it looks beautiful, but take away the leaves and that light is skyward bound.

also on uplighting homes, if your "between the window" column spots don't end at the soffit, but continue skyward, more light pollution.

And yes, in time, the cree and other quality warm white LEDS will eventually have to make their way into your design for life of bulb and energy/time savings. some of you will switch because of less need for voltage tolerance ( led's are far more flexible), some will switch because of less wattage and number of transformers used, longer runs from transformer, etc. the color is getting close, and once it mimics halogen/incandescent, it is just a cost of goods issue at that point.

Those of you who think this industry does not lend itself to change for the better should remember there did not use to be multi-voltage taps not too long ago, and Pars were all the rage. mr-16's were high tech, and mr11 and mr8, and bi-pin paths did not exist. and that was what, 10, 15 years ago tops?

as far as going greener, my next rig will be the most fuel efficient I can find to do the job. not only does it help consume less, but I have more money in my pocket that I did not spend on gas. the guys using a gas hog will either try to charge more than me to make the same, or charge the same and make less.

Mike M
06-27-2007, 07:46 PM
my next rig will be the most fuel efficient I can find to do the job

You can have UPS drop your parts off at the property, and meet everyone there with a bicycle and a spade strapped to your back.

Or, you can pull up in a truck like Mr. G's because your so freaking successful you can use dollar bills for fuel.

I have no idea where I'm going with this. Personally, I agree, only I need the torque to pull my landscape trailer when I need too. I really want a hybrid moped.

Mike

David Gretzmier
06-28-2007, 12:39 AM
joke all you want, mr. hybrid moped, but case in point- a diesel dodge sprinter van can have 14-16 feet of van space behind the two front seats and get 23-28mpg in the city while most gas and or diesel rigs get 6-10 mpg for that much space. you can buy what you want, but I'm gonna choose to spend less on fuel and have more in my pocket.

let's see, 8 mpg, 15000 miles per year, at 3 bucks a gallon, that's what 6 grand per year give or take?

24 mpg, same miles, same cost of fuel, 2 grand ? I'll take the 4 grand difference. and take my wife and kids to disney world for a week while you go camping in a tent.

06-28-2007, 12:55 AM
joke all you want, mr. hybrid moped, but case in point- a diesel dodge sprinter van can have 14-16 feet of van space behind the two front seats and get 23-28mpg in the city while most gas and or diesel rigs get 6-10 mpg for that much space. you can buy what you want, but I'm gonna choose to spend less on fuel and have more in my pocket.

let's see, 8 mpg, 15000 miles per year, at 3 bucks a gallon, that's what 6 grand per year give or take?

24 mpg, same miles, same cost of fuel, 2 grand ? I'll take the 4 grand difference. and take my wife and kids to disney world for a week while you go camping in a tent.

What's the difference what the gas costs it's all part of your overhead expenses which must get recouped as part of your costs for doing business. As costs go up you either pass them along to your customer or figure out ways to do things more efficiently . I don't see the airlines worrying too much . They just increase their fares accordingly.

06-28-2007, 01:21 AM
now that makes sense billy...you are right building a efficient and effective system should be in all of our heads...I think some people do anything they can to use low voltage sometimes when it just doesnt make sense...we do it because we know low volt we dont have to use conduit, etc...I never considered myself a greenie...but my eyes have been opened...We are doing work with 5 watt or 7 wass fluors and 12 watt LEDs and some really cool stuff...cutting consumption big time...I think in the states the first person in every market that can sell efficient, effective, energy conscious, dark sky approved lighting will be the winner is 5 years...I don't think marketing yourself as a greenie that installs beautiful lighting that is environmentally friendly is a bad idea...I think learning as many lighting techiques, low volt, line volt, hid, led, etc...and using them all is a great idea...thats all i got...sorry for the rant earlier...just typing fast and i think a few of you guys think i am talking about you...I am not...I dont know how most of you do work...I'm just sharing ideas...dont take things so personal...I am not targeting anyone, just typing

I've seen many new latest and greatest things come down the pike in my 17 years in this industry. I can count on 1 hand how many of them really grabbed hold. the two that come to mind right away are halogen lamps and multiple tap transformers. the latter I believe being the number 1 greatest thing to ever be introduced in the history of LV LL.
I also remember those that never have become widespread mainstream

fiber optics
xenon lamps
voltage regulators at the fixture
lock and load sockets
S8 wedge base sockets (thanks Chris)
MR-11
MR-8
Patented design consultation systems via Kingsland Texas and courtesy of SCORE
Kichlers in line power booster
Gambino High performance Landscape Lighting transformers and fixtures

just to name a few.

Mike M
06-28-2007, 07:14 AM
14-16 feet of van space

That's a lot of space. Can I borrow it for my camping trip?

Pro-Scapes
06-28-2007, 08:48 AM
I've seen many new latest and greatest things come down the pike in my 17 years in this industry. I can count on 1 hand how many of them really grabbed hold. the two that come to mind right away are halogen lamps and multiple tap transformers. the latter I believe being the number 1 greatest thing to ever be introduced in the history of LV LL.
I also remember those that never have become widespread mainstream

fiber optics
xenon lamps
voltage regulators at the fixture
lock and load sockets
S8 wedge base sockets (thanks Chris)
MR-11
MR-8
Patented design consultation systems via Kingsland Texas and courtesy of SCORE
Kichlers in line power booster
Gambino High performance Landscape Lighting transformers and fixtures

just to name a few.

Unfortunatly regulators at the fixtures are becoming more popular here. Guys think they can magincally have the right voltage and string stuff along like christmas lights as long as they use the 18v tap. I seen one last year and replaced (most) it. 18v tap... 18 lights daisy chained..... let me tell you this... a voltage regulator with less than 9v going to it will not put out the stated 11.5v :cry: Idiots out there... overloaded wire and under volted... but crap thoes lamps last YEARS. Too bad you cant see the light.

and on another note I actually have an MR8 lamp here... was perfect for uplighting a small specimen.. Not crazy bout the color temp of the light tho. Near LED looking.

Mike M
06-28-2007, 07:24 PM
What's the difference what the gas costs it's all part of your overhead expenses which must get recouped as part of your costs for doing business. As costs go up you either pass them along to your customer or figure out ways to do things more efficiently . I don't see the airlines worrying too much . They just increase their fares accordingly.

This coming from Mr. 25K-ain't-no-hay. Since I now feel one's vehicle is directly proportionate to one gross revenue, I decided to get two new wheels for my bicycle. While at the shop today, we found my frame was bent and the bike was totaled (my daughter had driven into my landscape trailer which torpedoed through every bike we had in the garage). It took my wife two years to let me buy new bicycle wheels, so I can forget about a new bike.

To humble myself and save some gas money, I am going to deliver my brochures and doorhangers by foot. I am at the bottom of the lighting installation cycle and proud of it.

Mike

David Gretzmier
06-28-2007, 10:56 PM
A lot of folks think Overhead is this magical place you put expenses and you recover it form the revenues of your business. Some overhead is good, like yellow page advertising, high quality tools, Insurance, etc. some are selectable like the truck you buy and where you buy gas. If any variable expense of these can be purchased for less, you do it. If gas across the street is 10 cents less per gallon, and you buy the more expensive gas, that's just wasting money.

The same is true for the truck you buy. The sprinter in the previous post is around 35 grand. If you can choose between the box van and the sprinter, and the cost to purchase is the same, and the sprinter saves you 4 grand a year in fuel, that is money in your pocket every year.

saying it just goes into overhead that you recover misses the point of net profit. at the end of the year, take total revenue and subtract all expenses. If you could've spent less on expenses, why not enjoy more profit?

everybody looks at increasing revenue to solve their bad decisions, just charge more etc. I fix the bad expenses.

Chris J
06-28-2007, 11:44 PM
Mike,
I'm starting to get the feeling that:
A. You are not being honest at all. And you have been playing everyone on this forum for your personal gain. :mad:
B. You are being honest, and you are going to fail miserably in this business because you are not willing to spend the amount of money that it takes to be successful. :sleeping:
When I send out 10,000 post cards, the most I hope for is 1/10th of 1 percent return on investment. If you are trying to hand them out door to door, ........good luck bud. You are wasting your time and effort. :nono:

06-29-2007, 12:01 AM
The same is true for the truck you buy. The sprinter in the previous post is around 35 grand. If you can choose between the box van and the sprinter, and the cost to purchase is the same, and the sprinter saves you 4 grand a year in fuel, that is money in your pocket every year.

Oh really? How about the added space and convenience of a larger truck? The abilty to have everything at your finger tips organized in closets and shelves which are accessible without entering the van body. Have you figured what it costs you to leave the jobsite because you don't have a .20 screw? Or the potential add on sale because you don't have the fixture on board. Thanks but i'll stick with my gas guzzling box truck. It may cost me 4k more than your sprinter to feed it gas every year but the increased revenue resulting in having everything you need when you need it is in the 5 figures. Do the math.

Pro-Scapes
06-29-2007, 12:04 AM
Mike,
I'm starting to get the feeling that:
A. You are not being honest at all. And you have been playing everyone on this forum for your personal gain. :mad:
B. You are being honest, and you are going to fail miserably in this business because you are not willing to spend the amount of money that it takes to be successful. :sleeping:
When I send out 10,000 post cards, the most I hope for is 1/10th of 1 percent return on investment. If you are trying to hand them out door to door, ........good luck bud. You are wasting your time and effort. :nono:

amen to that... passing out notes door to door is a waste of time unless your little johnny mowing lawns. When I was 13 cutting half the lawns in the nieghborhood flyers worked great.

100 post cards you mentioned before is a waste of time... my small batch maybe a waste as well but at least I got a good chance of getting at least 3-5 back.

I tried to start my lighting company on nothing and its gotten me just that. Nothing. Now that I am investing more into it Im starting to see results.

Chris J
06-29-2007, 12:10 AM
:help: :help: :help: :help:
God, thank you for letting me live another day to read these posts.
I really love this stuff, but please release me real soon!

David Gretzmier
06-29-2007, 05:53 AM
Tell you what mike g- go step inside an extended wheelbase sprinter and form an informed opinion. they are over 6 foot tall inside, and 6 foot wide, and depending on wheelbase, 14-16 foot behind the seats. PUH-lenty of room for all the stuff. If there isn't a 20 cent screw in there it is because it wasn't purchased, not it won't fit. I'm guilty of running out of stuff, but not because I don't have space.

The argument that you don't have side doors, that is valid. it is quicker to open one of the doors on your box than going in the van. good point. At the volume you are at, It may save you the 4 grand in time over the fuel.

On the other hand...Using the airlines as an example of a business model? they have lost what? 5, 10 billion dollars since 9/11? ( and that ain't hay...) one company out of like the top 12 is the only one that has not declared bankrupcy, and I believe it was southwest, the cheapest out there.

everybody wants to add a fuel surcharge these days, but look around at fedex and UPS- they are using a lot of sprinters.

06-29-2007, 08:12 AM
everybody wants to add a fuel surcharge these days, but look around at fedex and UPS- they are using a lot of sprinters.

granted, but are they installing landscape lighting systems?

Mike M
06-29-2007, 08:23 AM
B. You are being honest, and you are going to fail miserably in this business because you are not willing to spend the amount of money that it takes to be successful.

Okay, I joke a lot, but really, I'm very grateful for the support I've gotten from this awesome forum. A apologize for getting a little goofy at times.

Since coming here, I've spent over a thousand on my demo set up, plus I bought lots of materials to try at my own home (about 2k in tools, fixtures, materials, etc.), I've placed a small ad the last three months in the local paper (450), I spent about 300 on business licenses, 700 for a nice 12 month ad in my church bulletin, another 310 to join the chamber, 400 for a lighting-specific logo (good advice), 2K on my first lighting job (with that newspaper column guy that only wanted a trench, thank you for the help on that one, too), I have just paid for logoworks to make my cards and stationary, and I just used my credit yesterday to purchase a cast bullet plus hundreds of their post cards and literature. That's around 8,000 spent on the lighting business.

My financial situation is starting to suck because the brown patch problem was so bad in my area that nobody has been needing their lawns cut (my venture capital). I have to sell up to full-service so these people have healthy green and growing lawns.

I need to generate more money from the lawns, so I am ordering full color door hangers from Bob at Plan-it, and I plan to hand deliver them in my own development as houses are completed, and I am working on having the sales rep's at the model home place these in new resident orientation folders.

I was serious about the bicycle, as pathetic as that sounds, and here's why: there is a big waterfront community that I can't get my vehicle into, but they have a non-gated bike path going into it. I was gonna bundle some research/literature from the county extension on warm-season turf grass, some literature from cast, my door hanger with my full-service package, and my own letterhead and business card for lighting. I did my homework a few years ago, and put the door hanger thing to the test, and got a 1.7 return on contracts. That was 1,000 door hangers for 17 customers in the exact neighborhoods where I wanted to work. I than got referrals from those people and made some good money. When I moved, I donated my accounts to a young guy just starting out.

Since I'm starting to get low on funds, I need to generate more landscape revenue, and to save some money, I need to use my own bare hands to type-up mailing lists, and I need to get out and network, face to face.

The Chamber directory doesn't just have contractor/developer names, it also has a nice sample of doctors, lawyers, business owners, and individuals. Keep in mind, I am only in this town for under one year, so I need to introduce myself to a lot of people.

All this, while having to go back to an insane teaching position in an overcrowd, underfacilitated year-round school. Welcome to the South.

I wish there was a way I could give back to you guys, but the only way I've found being helpful was to crack a few jokes, and to compile a comprehensive splice thread to help other new guys like myself to see what the pro's are doing, from many different perspectives.

I would like to add that making this business full-time is a must for me, I'm mentally and spiritually toast from teaching special ed, and every time I see the signature "Freedom" I say amen, brother.

Mike

David Gretzmier
06-29-2007, 10:01 AM
Mike g- you kill me man- I guess UPS and Fedex install about as much lighting as the airlines.

Mike M- Keep driving toward your goal, ( or peddling? ) don't be discouraged. You've outspent what I've spent on my business this year, and you'll be rewarded for it. be careful in that gated community, they may have covenants against solicitation, so watch out.

Also, wandering out loud if 700 on your church buliten was a pay off for you, as you could've put that into a small yellow page listing for around 50-70 per month. I know I've made a lot of $$ off my yellow page listings.

Chris J
06-29-2007, 10:11 AM
OK Mike M. I'll keep on buying it for now because I do get a kick out of your posts, and you do bring some good info to the table for us all. Keep up the hard work, it certainly won't hurt you.

Mike M
06-29-2007, 12:23 PM
I'll keep on buying it for now

Chris, what do you mean buying it? Please don't tell me you think I'm a rich homeowner like Billy said; I'm trying my butt off to get this business going. Some of my posts are very goofy but that's because I'm very goofy.

The church bulletin was stupid. It was one of the first things I did. I guess in February (contract is for a year) I'll run a coupon in it for full service lawn care or something.

As for my financial situation, I drive a 94 grand cherokee, and I barely afforded to move into my present house by selling the one in PA. I absolutely had to get out of the northeast. Took me 42 years to do it.

Mike

Chris J
06-29-2007, 02:37 PM
Don't read anything into it. More of a joke on my part than anything else. I don't think you are a wealthy homeowner either (at least not in this context). If you were, I'd say you had a screw loose for being on this forum so much.
Keep working on it. It will begin to unfold soon.

Mike M
06-29-2007, 06:47 PM
Thank you!

Get this, I just wasted some more money. Didn't realize till I got off the phone with logoworks. I had them do business cards and letterhead, came out great. So I called and said go ahead and print them. The girl quoted me and I understood the cost of bleeding when printing, then I hung up and realized I was only paying like 69 or so for the cards, but over $400 for 500 envelopes and letters. That's almost a dollar a letter, plus postage. LOL. I'm keeping these for "special prospects" and proposals/estimates. And for Presidential/Royal correspondence should the need ever arise.

I'm so broke now, I can't afford to go fishing for bait.

Mike

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
07-02-2007, 09:09 PM
Back to Light Pollution Abatement.

Since my inception I have pursued and promoted 100% dark sky friendly lighting systems. This was primarily in response to the direction that the local municipalities seemed to be heading in when I opened up shop. Since 1999, I have developed a public education program that I have delivered to about 20 different groups, assemblies, councils, etc.

This program defines what light pollution is, highlights the detrimental effects of l.p. and then goes on to illustrate and describe many different things that the average property owner can do to reduce and even eliminate light pollution on their property. Through the development and delivery of this program I have received many public acknowledgements and a couple of civic awards. Basically, by focussing in on this relatively new avenue in outdoor lighting policy and technique, I managed to position myself as a stand alone leader in environmentally friendly outdoor lighting systems.

Now things have progressed. My clients know that they are getting outdoor lighting that meets or exceeds the new municipal standards (the same ones that I collaborated with the municipalities to develop and implement) and I regularly get calls from the local media for information or comment on local outdoor lighting issues.

I would highly recommend to any of you living/working in areas that are showing concerns over Dark Skies issues to become educated in the area. By being the first to legitimately provide the market with fully compliant dark sky friendly lighting systems you will position yourselves far ahead of your competition. A bit of knowledge and good implementation goes a LONG way.

As for technology and technique.... well it is getting pretty easy these days. Many manufacturers are clearly indicating which of their fixtures are IDA (international dark sky association) approved. Also look for IESNA full cut off luminaires.

There is SO much information available on this topic now. I would start by a good long examination of the IDA website located at www.darksky.org

If you have any specific question, (not of the what fixture should I use here variety), ask away. I would be happy to help.

Have a great day.

Mike M
07-03-2007, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the info, James!