PDA

View Full Version : Shorting Throttle cable ?

Tagg
06-26-2007, 10:52 AM
We have a Scag TT with the FD750D Kawi engine. I checked the rpm's and it was operating at 2800. I moved the throttle cable as far as possible in the throttle plate mounting bracket and can only get it to 3200 rpm. It appears the end of the rod needs shortened about 1/2" to better be able to adjust and keep casing mounted where needed. The question 9s how do we rebend the little Z-shape located at the end of the cable after shortening rod. Thanks.

Ironic
06-26-2007, 10:59 AM
I've tried that a few times, with needle nose vice grips and a propane torch.
it's a pain in the butt, and they never seem to last very long.

Restrorob
06-26-2007, 11:56 AM
There is a proper way to adjust the high speed RPM without bending any linkage/rods etc., My computer has been acting up but will try to post later this eve.

Restrorob
06-26-2007, 07:05 PM
I see what you are talking about now, I thought you were speaking of bending the link rod.

I use nothing more than a pair of needle nose pliers to re-bend the Z on the end of the cable. Make the bend closest to the housing first then the tip bend, Cut any excess off the end if needed.

Here is the adjustment procedure if necessary;

http://i107.photobucket.com/albums/m314/Restrorob/FD750DHighSpeedAdjustment.jpg

Tagg
06-26-2007, 07:27 PM
Thanks Rob, I understand the hi-lo idle adjustments, its just that the throttle rod casing has no place to be mounted when operating at the 3600 rpm. The rod itself will need to be shortened. Thanks.:usflag:

ducky1
06-26-2007, 07:36 PM
Silver Streak used to have a tool to bend the z bend. Just a piece of squar stock with a hold drilled in the end with a hook hest to it. Well worth the 6 bucks and some change that it used to cost. Will try to find a part number and get back later.

ducky1
06-26-2007, 08:10 PM
Didn't find what I was looking for but do a search on z-bend pliers. Will try to find a part number for the tool that I have and post tomarrow night. Will have to look in a catalog that I have at work.

ducky1
06-26-2007, 08:32 PM
Stens part 750-455 I didnt get mine from stens but same thing. Practise on a piece of wire to get the bend going the right way before you bend your throttle cable. Every tool box needs one if you have a piece of equipment that has a throttle cable on it.

Tagg
06-26-2007, 11:24 PM
OK Thanks Ducky, I have a Stens book and a very good local Stens dealer he may have one I could use. When I talked to Scag tech support,they did mention that there was a special tool to bend it with, but I wasn't sure on any availability or what I was looking for. :clapping: :clapping: I think the guys at Scag are an EXCELLENT Support Group for their product.:usflag:

fixer67
07-01-2007, 06:10 PM
This is the tool I use at work to put the "Z" bend in throttle cables
It is Rotary part number 9984. They have a cheaper more simple one part number 1720
I tried to post a direct link to it but it would not work. It is at
http://www.rotarycorp.com

On a side note the model 1720 can be home made from a length of 1/4" key stock if you wish.