PDA

View Full Version : Recently Finished Bluestone Patio Pics

clandscaper
06-26-2007, 11:48 AM
Recently Finished Bluestone Patio and Walkway. The patio is 19'x16', and the cut bluestone walkway is 4'x31'. In the back of the house is a 3'x49' irregular flagstone walk. I started my business just 2 years ago, so I would appreciate any input on the work. Roughly, what would you guys charge for this hardscape job? Thanks

clandscaper
06-26-2007, 08:34 PM
no thoughts or opinions about my work?

Jay Works
06-26-2007, 08:47 PM
looks great.

Dirty Water
06-26-2007, 09:02 PM
Can you stick a level on it and take a pic for me? Its hard to tell in the pictures, but it looks humped in the middle?

THEGOLDPRO
06-26-2007, 09:09 PM
looks great to me man.

crab
06-26-2007, 10:38 PM
:) very nice,dirty has super level vision,but to my untrained eye looks great!.

02DURAMAX
06-26-2007, 11:11 PM
Looks Great to me!!....Nice work!

ChampionLS
06-29-2007, 12:19 AM
It should be slightly crowned in the middle- enough for water runoff

cedarcroft
06-29-2007, 05:49 AM
pitched yes, crowned, unless it was VERY subtle, would be very difficult to acheive without compromising the look and functionality of the patio.
I think it looks very nice, i would just worry about the overhang and potential for the edge peices to fall off.

Dirty Water
06-29-2007, 10:35 AM
It should be slightly crowned in the middle- enough for water runoff

You really should stick to installing your runway lights.

clandscaper
06-29-2007, 06:11 PM
thanks for the feedback. the patio has a proper 1 degree pitch away from the house, and as for the "hump" in the middle, thats just the pictures because the patio is level from side to side.

also, the edge pieces overhang no more than 1/2 inch, so hopefully that small reveal will not create any problems, but I insure all of my work so it will not be an issue for the homeowner.

anybody have any feedback about what they would have charged? i think i went way low. for everything, both walkways, the patio and wall, i charged about $12K. how does that sound to you guys?

tthomass
06-29-2007, 07:24 PM
$12k is fair......depending on the area, base needed, location to me etc $12-$15k for me....dry lay. Now sell the some plants.

How long did the job take and how many people?

The job looks pretty cut dry and straight forward (on my PDA anyway). I would suggest using boulders, play with curves and lines, patterns in different directions, coupings etc.

clandscaper
06-29-2007, 07:51 PM
the job took took three weeks. there was a row of shrubs where the patio is now, so first we ripped those out, excavated for the patio and both walkways, dug a 30' drainage ditch for a downspout and did all of this by hand. i know most guys will think i am crazy for that, but i have only had my own business for 2 years and i hired 2 guys, so instead of renting a machine, i kept them busy for a week just digging and spreading the crusher-run. so overall, I paid my 2 guys out for 190 hours on that job, but I put in at least 120 of my own, so overall 310 hours.

and i agree, plants and all new beds would have been great, but they wouldnt go for it unfortunately.

tthomass
06-29-2007, 08:56 PM
I take it these guys are not emloyees. I can rent a mini ex, take out the shrubs and excavate in one day for $165 + fuel.

The kicker is that you charge your same price only now you have done it in one day and made more money instead of paying out labor.

I was taught that a mason with a good helper can wet lay 100 SF in a day and that is my daily goal with the exceptions of design. Dry is faster so more you can do.

What are your base specs?

ChampionLS
06-29-2007, 10:33 PM
You really should stick to installing your runway lights.

We are. AND we can install them to Bluestone too. Put that in your pipe and smoke it. :cool2: