PDA

View Full Version : Need help to start a grass cutting company

Proshop
06-26-2007, 12:55 PM
If anyone can help me start a grass cutting company please send my some information. Like what is the best equipment to use. My budget is next to nothing so I need help in a big way.

Thanks

lawnjockey56
06-26-2007, 02:03 PM
first you need a bigger budget then

Proshop
06-26-2007, 02:05 PM
Is it not possible to start on a shoe string budget

MeadowsLawnCare
06-26-2007, 03:20 PM
Buy a used 21", a used trimmer, and a blower. Keep ur existing job and pass out flyers after work, Build clients, make extra money, buy equipment as you go along.

Proshop
06-26-2007, 03:22 PM
Now that is some useful advice. Thanks, do you have any suggestions regarding flyers?

martinfan06
06-26-2007, 03:24 PM
Use search feature to narrow your broad questions lots of info over the years.

wooley99
06-26-2007, 04:14 PM
What Meadows said...

Tim Wright
06-26-2007, 06:18 PM
I started with a borrowed push mower and a trimmer. Then I bought a craftsman trimmer. Then the consumer rider. etc etc.

However, what you need will all depend on the jobs you are doing now, shooting for in the near future. Try to buy ahead. So when you grad from the push mower and buy a rider, go straight to the commercial ZTR. Skip the consumer lawn tractors completely.

Plan on spending money until doomsday if you are going to build a "business" that will make you a living.

Tim

Proshop
06-26-2007, 07:33 PM
This is all good stuff keep it coming.

kevinlane
06-26-2007, 08:57 PM
I got me a sugar mama to buy my equipment. ROFL

MJS
06-26-2007, 09:16 PM
Get a herd of goats and a livestock trailer. :laugh:
Seriously, start small, and build your way up. The customer doesn't care how good your equipment is, they just want you to do a good job on their lawn.

RedMax Man
06-26-2007, 09:23 PM
I would get business cards before flyers. You can't do anything without tools so get those. try to buy used commercial rated equipment if you can't afford new. it will still work well if its in good condition.

Tim Wright
06-26-2007, 09:29 PM
Get a herd of goats and a livestock trailer. :laugh:
Seriously, start small, and build your way up. The customer doesn't care how good your equipment is, they just want you to do a good job on their lawn.

I had one customer (potential) who had a 7 page contract he wanted me to sign FOR A RETENTION POND of a development. Can you believe it?!?!?!?!

You would not believe what he had in it. It was one of those cookie cutter things from some free legal site or something, But wanted it cut a certain way, with new equipment, yada yada yada x 7.

So there is that ONE cotton pick'n customer out there that thinks they care about you having the latest greatest equipment, but they are ot the ones you want.

Tim

jrush
06-26-2007, 09:51 PM
get a used mower, 48' or so, go out and hand out flyers, don't pay for advertising, get some calls, land the neighbors of those accounts and be pateint. make sure you have a blower and good trimmer also. Make sure everyone signs a contrct about payments!!!! For some reason they don't take the landscapers bills seriously.

N.H.BOY
06-26-2007, 10:00 PM
I would wait to hand out flyers. do it in fall for cleanups and also in the spring time. good luck

Allens LawnCare
06-26-2007, 10:56 PM
I started with 1 boot, half a glove, glasses (Just frames, no Lens) and a tin of Kodiak...actually two tins of Kodiak

rubiconlawn
06-27-2007, 12:26 AM
Allen's LC you made me laugh, out loud, the part about no lens!

I'm just starting (look at the sig) my advice is to talk grass with every body, just don't push it. If they don't go along with talking grass, back out of it and talk something else. I just don't want people thinking I'm hungry, just interested in what I do and proud of it.

Then again, what the heck do I know? My sunglasses I'm starting with have two lens and every time I eat tobacco products I get a bellyache.

Goodluck and stay hydrated.
Rubicon

bohiaa
06-27-2007, 05:23 PM
If anyone can help me start a grass cutting company please send my some information. Like what is the best equipment to use. My budget is next to nothing so I need help in a big way.

Thanks

nothing wrong with pushing a 21" mower up and down the street and asking if you can mow there lawn.....

the problem comes in when you stop trying....

Go Get them

Proshop
06-27-2007, 07:06 PM
Sorry, no sugar momma..:)

Liquidfast
06-27-2007, 08:17 PM
I got all u losers beat.

When I started, I used an old rusty reel mower. I got the reel mower from a 45 year old who was a big strong guy. He also had a ztr sitting there and didn't ever use it. He wouldnt sell it to me or let me use it even though he knew my situation. He was so mean to me and my mom used to feed him years prior when he didn't have a place to live or food to eat.

I took that reel mower and only tackled lawns that were a half acre to a full acre but the grass had to be 6 inches thick. I was so strong after only two years of mowing with it and my muscles were so big that I was able to strangle him in his sleep and take the ztr.

Now, I have 2 of them with only one casualty. Not to bad eh?

Proshop
06-27-2007, 08:30 PM
That's pretty funny..:)

Your Lawn First
06-29-2007, 10:39 AM
Don't listen to these guys they are just bustin your balls you can start with a push mower and a trimmer and a old chevy S-10 or a car with a trunk if you want. hand out flyers put a add in the paper get some cards made up. Its the easiest business to start without any overhead all depends on how bad you want it. good luck

Proshop
06-29-2007, 10:51 AM
That's sound advice..:)

Harshman
07-01-2007, 06:48 AM
The main thing is to be out there. Customer cant call you if they cant see you. If you do nothing you will get nothing. Hand out flyers, tons of flyers, there cheap and easy to make. Letter your truck if you can afford too. The absolute best thing I did. I put a plastic business card sleeve on the rear window of my trucks with business cards in them so if I'm at Walmart or someplace a potential customer can take my card. Tell all your friends and their friends. Getting your first customer is the 2nd hardest thing you can do. Once you do that, and give them the best service they've ever had, you'll have referrals galore.

The hardest thing to do is keep your customer.

baddarryl
07-01-2007, 09:34 AM
You can get a lot of your hand tools at yard sales for next to nothing. Those things add up fast at your megalomart.

Proshop
07-01-2007, 10:47 AM
Does anyone have a standard contract that I can use to sign my new customers?